• Register Today It's free!

XM Radio Question

big351bronc

Reaction score
City, State
St. Simons Island, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Im looking for some pictures, if anyone has some, of their external XM Radio setup in a 2nd Gen Explorer. I am about to buy the Roady 2 and just want to see where to mount it. But I am not heart set on that one, so if some people have any pictures that would be great, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No pics, but I've been doing the XM thing lately. My XM ready Pioneer HU is connected to a Pioneer XM tuner (under driver's side passenger seat). We JUST put XM in my wife's Subaru Outback yesterday (Roady). We used one of of those "gooseneck" mounts that clamps under the passenger seat and puts the Roady just to the side of the console. Worked great. We also hardwired the Roady to the power source for the head unit so it doesn't tie up the ligher socket. Worked out real nice. The installer zip tied the wires for the antenna, audio out and power to the gooseneck itself. I'm impressed with the install and it's pretty clean. My wife is happy there was no cutting, and she still has all the storage places in her console. The Roady does NOT get in the way of the passenger either.

Check out sites like xm411.com or xmfan.com. Tons of good info on those sites and they have forums devoted to installs with tons of photos for all makes. I've never looked for X installs but there are probably some there.

XM rocks, even up here in Canada. :)

Thanks for the help. Im gonna go check out those sites for some pictures. If I find some good ones, ill put them up here

my idea when i made my mount, was to hide it when i was in high crime areas, and have the unit at my fingertips....this is what i came up with

xmbracket1.jpg

xmbracket2.jpg

xmbracket3.jpg

also i would recomend getting a different antenna, i have a through glass one

i would also recomend not geting the bracket that mounts against the right side of the A/C box, it greatly reduces the leg room of the passanger, prior to making my own mounting device, i had one and most of my friends said i needed to get rid of it because there was very little room

but if you want to take the route of the one that mounts to the right of the temp controls, i do have one that i am willing to sell, and wouldnt mind shipping out

mine

Attachments

• xm_2.JPG
    xm_2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 175

Matt, that is what I have been thinkin about. I really like that, did you install it yourself? Also, if you know, what is used to go around the radio to seal it up?
That looks great.

That's not a Roady, though. The XM Commander (Terk) seems to have the dimensions to go into a dash. It's really made for in-dash installs. Make sure to keep room for your power/antenna and audio cables with the Roady, If the Roady2 is like the original Roady, they call plug in on the side.

Yeah, but Ive been looking at prices, and that is not but only about 40 or 50 dollars more. So that one could be it. Also, its true that the Roady 2 wires do plug into the sides, so I might go with the Commander.

big351bronc said:
Matt, that is what I have been thinkin about. I really like that, did you install it yourself? Also, if you know, what is used to go around the radio to seal it up?
That looks great.

i took a piece of abs plastic and just cut a hole in it, and mounted in on that. if you take out that center console pocket thingy, the pockets unscrew out, and just cut the abs to fit in bewteen the pocket and actual "rim" type thing and just sandwiched it in there. i hope that wasnt too confusing. matt

It looks great, and I love that idea. I hate to copy you, but I might. Just one more question, where did you get the plastic from? Maybe Lowes or somethin?

i just went down to the local car audio shop, (NOT bestbuy or circuitcity)...it i came in a 1x1 foot section for like 5 or 6 bucks, good luck and let me know how it turns out

Alright, thanks

Matt I know you're headunit is XM ready (I have the exact same one). Was there a reason you didn't go with an XM tuner to plug into the IP-bus on your Pioneer? Just curious as to what your reasons were for going with what you did.

snocross1985 said:
Matt I know you're headunit is XM ready (I have the exact same one). Was there a reason you didn't go with an XM tuner to plug into the IP-bus on your Pioneer? Just curious as to what your reasons were for going with what you did.

B/c on the display (on the pioneer) you only get 8 letters. On the commander to get 2 16 letter lines. Plus it was already mounted and it was easier just to get an adapter because i still like to the XM's faceplate mounted where it is.

Back