Yikes!! I need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liliu Ross

Reaction score
City, State
Pu'ukapu WAiMEA Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford ranger XL 1996
I've been using this site for advice and following the well documented directions on specifics of changing .. Water pump .. Thank you so much !! Well now that I have successfully accomplished that task I now have a new one. I believe I have fuel line problems ... Yes I ran out of gas .. Gas gauge stopped working .. I believe this caused problems in the lower tank crappy stuff clogging my line. Where should I start to begin addressing this issue .. I was thinking the fuel filter.. Uh!?! ... Help please!!!

Greatly appreciated Liliu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a pretty good assumption, thats the first place I would start, its pretty common to suck gunk off the bottom of the tank when you run out of gas

Yup, change the fuel filter first.... But if that doesn't fix it, you may need a fuel filter sock, and/or a fuel pump.....and those are in the tank. Plenty of threads on here for getting to the pump.

Thank you for your reply and time. I changed my fuel filter .. Wow .. The fuel was dirty w all that gunk .. Looked like coffee grinds settling on the bottom. That did not make a difference .. I was going to go straight for the fuel injectors but I think I'll change the fuel pump and sock .. I did not pay much attention to a pump sound from my tank .. I hope this is it !!! Q: should I need to change the fuel injectors what would you recommend ... Refurbish my injectors and can I clean and rubber seal my own OR purchase new injectors??? Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail before you go dropping the tank. Either get the gauge and do it right, or do like I do, use a screw driver to press the shraeder valve and stay out of the way of the fuel spray.

Live dangerously. Lol.

@kevlar7R thank you for the suggestion I had to sit for a long while and read and look for different photos for the fuel pump location .. I was scared to lower the tank and I am glad that I did not.. I took off the positive and negative from the battery I took off the bed, removed the six bolts, the three bolts around the .. Uh ,. Where I fill my tank w gas (what ever thats called) and the rear head lights .. W the help of my son I slid the bed back about 8 inches .. Before I could do that I had to unhook a
Few electrical fuses .. And there it was the top of the fuel pump. I was not sure what to do and fortunately a family member came to help. He showed me how to open the top and all the electrical attachments .. It took me all day just to get to that part including going to the parts store .. It's late and so tomorrow morning we
We will make the attachments .. Stay tuned .. I'm excited!! Thanks again .. Aloha

I was told I was stupid to slide the bed back !?! :(( .. I don't think so .. It took me a long while to figure that out w the help of fuel tank/pump photos. I had to post this .. I'm not trying to be anything I'm not .. I'm teaching my son to do what you have to do and no wait for anyone .. Others will come to help when they see you helping yourself .. I'm trying and I'm surviving .. Thank you everyone here for your support and help.. Aloha!!

Back