you know your hardcore when....... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

you know your hardcore when.......

You know your hardcore when....

....when you jump your truck at a spur of the moment jump contest at the dunes, manage to show up trucks that have three times the suspension, caged and bigger balls, jump after jump, and manage to drive home, hit a small rut and then somehow dislocate and spread the leaf springs causing one of the leaf springs to go sideways and puncture a hole in your gas tank... "ow"

i managed to get the leaf pack to normal and patch up the whole with some duct tape and trailer it home.

holly.jpg
babyonbed.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

duct tape... lol...... you migth be able to get some of that gas tank patch stuff and seal it up....

JB Weld :D

I have a spare tank I think.

Time for some Deavers. Where's the action shots? :D

how good does jb weld work on patching gas??

and section, how much for that gas tank?

i didnt get any action shots, but there were alot of people taking pictures, i'll see if any of the local guys got any pictures for me.

oh, and could i upgrade to a broncoII gas tank and have it where my spare tire is?

Jump the Silverado ;)

JB Weld would work fine for patching the tank. Just give at least 24 hours cure time before putting gas in it.

my uncle and Grandfather always use JB Weld on gas tanks.

used it on a leaky oil pan once and worked great

i've heard the gas tank is a pressurized tank, and i'd have to get it pressure tested?

would i throw a emssion evap code since i've got a hole in my tank also?

clarkkent said:
oh, and could i upgrade to a broncoII gas tank and have it where my spare tire is?

Yes, and you should do a write up when you do :D

There are also a huge variety of aftermarket fuel cells available in all shapes and sizes. At some point in my trucks future (who knows when) I will be adding a second tank in the spare tire location. I will likely leave it dry and fill it for backcountry camping trips, road trips, and trail runs to avoid going and getting gas so dang often.

That's crazy! It's one of my favorite rigs on this site. Get a second tank and you're set.

Fiberglass will work. I bought a fiber glass repair kit and patched up a gas tank on my plow truck. I have had it filled up many times over the winter and it has not leaked. I can take a pic if you like to show you.

thanks guys for the info, im going to try the jb weld today at work.

that sux man, hey do you ever have any problems hitting you tire on the rear wheel well when you land, i took some chunks out of mine jumping and im pretty sure i have more clearance in the back than yours

lol...that sucks man! I second the "time for some deavers" comment. go with their prerunner leaf pack for explorers you won't be sorry.

You weren't running limit straps in the back were you??? :D

I learned the hard way too! strap those leafs...that will keep you from over-extending them. Might save you on gas tanks too... ;)

Lets see some pics of you hucking that X !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BigDave!!! said:
that sux man, hey do you ever have any problems hitting you tire on the rear wheel well when you land, i took some chunks out of mine jumping and im pretty sure i have more clearance in the back than yours

yeh it hits hard. my rear fender wells are strarting to crack from my tires hitting them sooo often.. i needa get them tubb'd next week maybe.

Back