Your experience w/ 32's and trimming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your experience w/ 32's and trimming

ryanmagahis

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
As some of you know I'd like to get new tires and wheels.

My plans:

I think just because of price, I've decided to go with a steel type black 15x8 wheel. 54 dollars each at 4 wheel parts or so. Hey, white on black just might work out in my opinion.

And for the tires, I don't do any off-roading; but who knows, maybe I'd like to have some fun in it everynow and then, so a decent tire for somewhat off-road and in rain would be nice. Preferably rain and street traction though. Under 130 or so if possible. Or anything from discount tire co.

But on to the question; for those of you who have a 15x8 wheel with 32's and just a torsion twist, how much did you have to trim? I've read on here that some have had to do very minimal trimming (just the plastic piece in the back), some not at all, and some have had to cut metal which is definantly what I don't want to do.

This is just a picture to give how high it is at the moment. Tires are 30's I think.
33inches from floor to top of wheel well
(notice I took off the skirt for those of you that I mentioned that I didn't want too haha. I like it more but it looks goofy with the fog lights still attached!
Photo-0033.jpg

Then I lifted the front 2 inches just for fun with a jack for fun since I was changing oil:
35 inches from floor to top of wheel well
Photo-0032.jpg

But yeah, feel free to tell your reuslts and experiences with it and what you recommend. And if at all possile I would appreciate it if you could post the finishing results of the trimming.

And I've realized I've asked some similar questions before, sorry haha. I'd just like some more input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and on the passenger side, the height from floor to wheel well is 35 inches I believe from stock height. All was measured in the middle of the well.

I am running 32s with a tt/ warrior shackles. I just had to trim the rocker guard. But I eventually took them off as I am adding rock sliders.

Tim

Awesome! Starting to have hope now. If it comes down to it, I might just take off that little plastic piece (rocker guard?) instead of trimming for now.

I just trimmed mine today, mine were wide (11.5) i had to trim the rock gaurd and inside of the fender in the rear at a half turn. With 10.5's I think you would be all set, only alittle trimming on the rock gaurd

Thank's for the tip. Just measured my tire out of curiousity and it's 8-9 inches wide I believe. Only leaves around a 7inch print on the ground.

I just want to know also out of curiousity, is it noticeably higher? Does it feel higher/harder to get into, feel taller on the roads than when you were stock? And someone could tell easily that it has been lifted?
I've been looking at awesome pictures but have nothing to compare them to. Height wise.

Anywhere close to this?:
thedifference.jpg

i think that white limited has a body lift as well. you'll be able to tell it's taller but not by a whole lot. and you'll definitely have to lose that rocker piece on the corner. the piece on my sport isn't that big, but i had to trim a decent amount off of it.

i would say it would be about the same height maybe 1 inch shorter, you will definantly notice a difference in height tho.

I thought so. I've been thinking about a body lift lately but I don't want it to happen. Just don't want to go through the trouble (from what I've heard before). And I don't mind losing the rocker piece. But if I can trim it with no problem and doesn't look bad after then I'll keep it on there.

1 inch shorter? higher? haha = )

But yeah total, if it were raised with a 2 inch torsion twist, then then with the 32's, the front end should sit somewhat 3-4 inches higher? This is in my head so correct me if I'm wrong.

before..
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/J1211C/712821.jpg

after
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/J1211C/760091.jpg

i parked next to a stock explorer today, you can defiantly see the difference. I would say its about the same height difference as the white vs stock.

it should sit about 3 inches higher maybe alittle less. Remember going from stock 30's to 32's only gets you 1 inch higher plus the TT Shackle 2 inch, somtimes the shackle and TT only get you 1.5 inches. So I would say 3 at best probably around 2.5 total inches of lift. Still worth it and very noticeable difference

Trim the rocker panel plastic piece just inside of those two black screws vertically, and then on the bottom. Should fit 32s in there with that plastic gone and a little torsion bar adjustment if you're mostly on road.
No way to know for sure until you mount a set up! ;)

i say ditch the side skirts all together....and take off the fog light brackets.

TT Twist an shakles

This is mine on 32"x11,5"x15" on 10"x15", ET-43
I had to cut an weld a little....

Attachments

• DSCF0051 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0051 (Medium).JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCF001 (55) (Medium).JPG
    DSCF001 (55) (Medium).JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 362

And I made a thread here that shows how much I have left if this gives you an idea of how you think I could do with 32's. That's the factory setting and I haven't twisted it once.

And how does it ride by the way?

Forget it. I'm gonna go for the 32's and 15x8's and just do a TT. Susp. lifts are too much, spindles are still a bit costly. I don't want a body lift but if it comes to it, I'll maybe do an inch or 2. TT it's whatever. I'll put on the combo and take off the rocker.

I've read up on this thread, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164409&highlight=Torsion+Twist

I only have about 3/4 of bolt left showing and untoched by the way, and I hope to get lucky with them to clear 32's. But I refuse to cut metal.

Looks really good. About how much left of your bolt was showing before you twisted it do you know?

I think it was about 1,5cm.

For this "lift" i had to cut out an angle in the corner above. It does'nt mather, because you cant' see it.
In the back i have the shakles too an "modified" the automativ leveling system.

With this setup it's a little harder in the front. Thats why i hate the construction af the front axle in the XP....

Next thing for me is to buy a 4"-kit from Summit. For me it's the only good way to lift an explorer. And with a lift the driving conditions would be much more better too....
When i can find a dealer without "horror shipping prices" to switzerland, i will call a trailmaster lift my own ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh wow, mine has like 3/4th's left so maybe this will work Depending on how much I can fit before I twist them.
Yeah, when I do it maybe I'll put my shocks down to 1 and hopefully that will help the ride smooth out more.
I took will probably buy some other type of lift in the near future hopefully. Spindles possibly. Free is what I'm going for, for now!

Back