• Register Today It's free!

Zimmerman Mod-doing it!?

rockylaurence

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Hey; I just purchased a set of Ranger springs. Is there anything special that I should keep in mind when doing the mod? From my understanding, I use the main Ranger leaf and cut the eyes off of the Explorer main leaf and stack them all together. Right? Does anyone recommend using the other Ranger (minor)leaf in the pac? With the Heavy bumper and MASSIVE spare the X hangs low in back, maybe just the main leaf is enough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well on mine i got about 6" from the soa and then with the zimmerman mod it's about 8 inches higher than stock in the rear........ so i would set it up the same and see where it sits

Thanks

Clint; thanks for the quick reply. Where did you cut your springs at? Right behind the eye or further back?

mine are cut right behind the eye

It's done and It was EASY!

Clint; It took my son and I about 2.5 hrs to get it done. I gained about 1.5" with the spring and yes; the stock shocks are now limiting the droop. I also noticed that the E-brake cables and vent tube are taunt. Did you do anything to these two items to allow more droop?

well my e-brake line snaped before i could do anything but i did a search a while back and zimmerman said that they took the ebrake cable out of the little holder that's on the frame and it gave them another 2-3 inches of slack........the breather i just went and bought some longer hose

So what's the deal on this mod, what makes it so flexy? Is a Ranger spring longer eye to eye than an Explorer spring?

i don't think it's any longer it's just that the ranger main leaf is thinner(less spring rate equaling more flex) and when the suspension goes to droop the ranger main leaf seperates from the explorer leaf pack

Separating Drive shaft

Clint; is the drive shaft a concern with all this droop? At what point is it going to pull out of the splines? My custom shocks in the rear have plenty of traval left--any ideas on how to drop the mounts at the stock locations?

Back