• Register Today It's free!

SOHC vs OHV

onecrazyfuq

Reaction score
City, State
Bethpage, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
So i have a few questions. To start off with does anyone know which trim package explorer has the sohc engines and in what years. And what are the huge differences between the two. Which is better off to get? I currently have a 95 with a v6 ohv, but im looking to go newer. what engine should i get, i will be doing work on the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you will get 45 to 50 more hp with the SOHC (depending on which website you look at) and a little better fuel economy but, there is the Timing Chain Tensioner issue.

i'm pretty sure the OHV produces more low end torque..if that effects your purchase.

Negative, the sohc produces more hp and torque all through the rpm range. The sohc is very responsive to mods and very reliable. I have one in my sport and have previously had the ohv. I wont go back if there is an option for the year I am looking at. Ohv is 160hp/225 lb.ft. and sohc (up till around 99-00) was 210,there after 205hp/255lb.ft

sohc!

I've owned both, and I would take the OHV motor in a heartbeat. It's an older design, but tried and true. It produces more torque, and at lower RPM which is what you want for drivability and off road. The SOHC does produce more HP, but at higher RPM, so if you regularly drive at 4000 RPM this may be of benefit. BTW, my 91 OHV got about 30% better fuel economy than my 2000 SOHC, although the 91 was a stick.

This debate has been had before; Check out this link from 2003: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87144

As for your original question, the SOHC first became available in 1997. I'm not sure which trim levels it was available with, but I know you could get it with a Limited, maybe with an XLT or Eddie Bauer. Availability of the SOHC expanded after that, but the OHV was still an option through 2000. I think it was dropped completely for 2001, though maybe some fleet models or XLS models got it that year.

A friend of mine has a Sport Trac with the SOHC. Honestly, I'm not that blown away by it, though his is the heaviest of Explorers and mine is the lightest.

Sohc

I have the 4 litre SOHC in my truck. there are ups and downs for both. the ohv motor is slower and is mounted almost all the time to an A4LD transmission.....which i hate. The SOHC models always had the 5R55E trany which was an improvement of its 4 speed predesesor. On the upside for the ohv motor however, is the the ohv motor is tried and true and is a little more dependable than the sohc. All and all i think the combo sohc and 5r55e tranny is a better chioce. the ohv does get a little bit better gas millage though.

well idk were you live if its flat or hilly but where i live its hills everywhere...and my buddys 1993 explorer ohv gets better millage than my sohc........and yes its running fine just had it tuned up new plugs,wires..etc

also ... is your truck 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel... that makes a difference.....my truck could never get 30 mpg where i live. that would be a dream come true for me...... and if theres somethin i could do to get close to that please tell me......i get like an average of 14-15

i average about 19-22 with mine depending on how I drive..

In my 1991 4x4 with a manual 5 speed I could get 30 MPG (Imp) Highway which is 25 US MPG. In my 2000 4x4 with the SOHC engine I can get 28 MPG Imperial or 23.32 US MPG highway. This is under ideal conditions, driving 100KMH or 62 MPH.

It is the city driving that I find the 2000 with SOHC and automatic tranny gets around 17 to 18 MPG or 14.15 to 15 US MPG. The 91 OHV got much better city mileage, and was also much more fun to drive. Although overall the 2000 is a much better designed truck.

Back