Body Work & Detailing | Page 254 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Work & Detailing

Waxing washing, wheel cleaning and body work. This is the place to discuss those topics.
Hello, I have a 2004 XLT. I have noticed that while driving I just a consistent amount of noise, regardless of road conditions from the lift gate area. Like the door is slightly ajar. I believe I have read somewhere that this may be related to the cracked trim panel below the lift gate window (not sure how to check this). I was wondering if could be related in some way to tired hinges or similar? Any ideas? Thank you
Alright gents, i have a couple of questions: I need to replace the door on my 1996 xlt. I have a full replacement door sitting here, but I am unsure of the electrical connections. Looking at the replacement door, which (I THINK) is from a 1996 (its definitely a second gen) it looks like there is a single plug for the entire door harness, on the BODY side, just on the other side of the black rubber accordian/coduit. Is this correct? The door has the same options, power window, power lock, same lighting. I am just hoping i can undo the connector and unbolt the door for replacement. I guess what I'm really asking is.... is there a single connector on the body side door harness? TIA
I've noticed on my 5g that the trim is flimsily attached and is starting to come loose on the tailgate/hatch. Is it realistic to fabricate replacement pieces from fiberglass to install in place of this crappy plastic? I am a rank amateur and have absolutely no idea where to start with this, I'm simply trying to sound out a few ideas and see what I can do to make my vehicle last a bit longer, and also look a bit better. Obviously, enough time and money etc etc
how do you clean the backside of the butterfly valve on electronic Throttle body? Can you force the butterfly valve to open? I know you can buy TB cleaner and attached a small tube to the TB, and then spray it while the van is running. I tried that in the past with the 3M, but it doesn't really clean the gunk completely. Do I need to take the TB out to clean the backside?
Hey, need a simple answer to a simple question. I'm about to venture into the realm of painting with a paint gun, as opposed to rattle cans. I've got about all the equipment I need (thanks to friends at NAPA), but I can't get a straight answer on mixing the paint/reducer/hardener. I get the ratios, know how the cup works, but I get different answers. Is paint mixed paint first then hardener then reducer (thinner) or is it Paint-reducer-hardener? I'm kinda leaning toward paint/reducer/hardener cause that makes more sense to me. But, I'll let the experts/professionals tell me if I can get a consistent answer.
Well today we took my stud's off and put the summer tires back on. It was time most of the road's are back to pavment so i dident want to eat up the stud's anymore. man what a smother ride and not as loud...lol But i now know spring is here. Also washed the beast(not that it will do any good) but here's some pic's with winter rim's/tires with summer tires just mounted after the wash with summer tires
Anyone have a detailed picture of what the rear doors look like so I know what to order to put it back as a personal vehicle? Not interested in speakers in the rear just want the door handle and locks to work for passengers in the back. What have people come up with that isn't so expensive for the center (horizontal) console with the arm rest? Ford wants over $1K for a new one.
Since this is a repair-related topic, but since there is much debate over if the windshield is part of the "body" or not (whereas repairing a windshield is or is not body work,) please move this thread if it is better suited to another Sub-Forum, thanks. Since I've lately been curious about windshield replacements after hearing the EPA has given incentive to insurance companies to provide glass repair and replacement at little to no cost upfront, among other arrangements, due to landfill problems with auto glass, I thought I would make a thread where you can tell me / just discuss what policies you have and which ones work for you for your glass repair needs. Mine does not currently cover this whatsoever, so if I got a chip that cracked...
Due to a crash happening to our f150 I had to use a salvage yard core support -headlught access trim cover. Decals were peeling even after someone stuck shipping tape over them years ago. After cleaning them off I wondered if new were available. Auto data labels dot com. I emailed an inquiry. Return email said to expect an email with pricing info . 6 days later, no email. Express delivery ups package arrives at door.
now this is prolly gonna get removed..but if it does..theres not much i can do..but theres some members here that wanted to know what i was up to latly..and they dont get to the other sites......so heres some pics the trucks at the body shop right now..so i cant get very good pics..getting the hatch shaved..and hopfully i will get a body lift this winter..theres alot going on with it..i also added 4 lights on top i just wanted to say one more thing....i have grown up alittle in the past few months..and would like to be able to come here(not very often by any means) and just give some updated pics..would that be ok? i would not like to be here more then once every 2 weeks..or so..well whatever..good night
Back