• Register Today It's free!

Mileage or oil monitor..

which one..

• Total voters

micafd3s

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Sport
which one do you guys go by... the monitor indicating percentage left or mileage to gauge when to change your oil..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neither really. Every 6 months, which in my case is about every 1500 miles. If I had to chose one of the poll options, I'd go with mileage.

I go by IOLM and by the 3 or 4 oil analysis reports, I still had another 1500-2000 miles left in it.
I change it when I hit about 20% remaining which has ended up between 7500 and 8500 miles.

Yup, the IOLM has been proven over and over to be reliable and actually on the safe side by many oil samples across the Ford lineup. just follow what the vehicle tells you, it has been proven.

I have previously posted the full details of this. Consumer Reports did a long term test on oil change intervals using NYC taxi as the test subjects. They changed oil in half at 3000 miles, the other half at the manufactures recommended interval. After millions of miles they tore the engines apart and found no difference in engine wear. There are about six reasons that the old 3000 mile interval makes no sense for todays engines.

*oil quality is far superior to oil from just 20 years ago
*today's engines are more precisely manufactured with most having overhead cams which are a superior design.
*engines generate more torque at lower RPM resulting in less stress on the engine
*five, six and even eight speed transmissions keep engines from high rpm's during acceleration
*modern computer controlled fuel injection systems keep excess fuel from diluting oil
*just look at engine rpm at 65 miles per hour. My 2012 Dodge Caravan runs at under 2000 rpms, 2014 Ex is just over 2000.

Do what you want but there is zero evidence that changing oil before the Mfg recommendation has any benefit.

I follow the manual and definitely not the suggested interval from the dealership!

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how your vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.
This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.

To get back on subject I will change my oil once a year and run a full synthetic. If I was driving a lot I would go by the IOLM.

Back