How to: - New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
If I may ask, where are you buying your HD ACM from, do you have to have a different wiring harness along with the new unit for it to work and how much are you paying? Thanks:thumbsup:

I bought it off of Ebay. I bought one that came out of a 2011 Limited for 63 bucks. I could have probably negotiated more but meh... I can confirm that HD Radio is absolutely hardware dependent. I tried to copy the as built data from the HD Radio ACM and put it on the stock, unplugged both and HD Radio only worked on the HD Radio unit.

Also, there is something with the programming that you have to do. I just kept the HD Radio's as built as is and changed the values I have noted in the spreadsheet pnuticus and I have been working on.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JHLK2oCBe-E5om9VNeY6e3NwboO9Em0dDBZIgUVyGxc/edit#gid=0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did we ever figure out if enabling the climate controls on the right speedo cluster can be done with FORSCAN?

My wife has it on her 13 Edge, id love it on my 16 Sport.

If you're willing to try it out, give this a go:
IPC:
720-05-01:
XXXX-xxxx-xxzz
D8B8 (Default w/Navigation)

Let me know if it works! Thanks!

To get the temp reading in the cluster also, you'll want to change to the below.
720-02-01 4D85 BC50 1E26

IPC:
720-05-01:
XXXX-xxxx-xxzz

You've been busy! Looks good - coming along

You've been busy! Looks good - coming along

I also took my old APIM without NAV and put navigation in. :D Now I have two APIMs lol.

I also took my old APIM without NAV and put navigation in. :D Now I have two APIMs lol.
two options, to sell or keep a spare one if installed one fails

To get the temp reading in the cluster also, you'll want to change to the below.
720-02-01 4D85 BC50 1E26

I'll put this on the spreadsheet if that's okay and credit you.

I'll put this on the spreadsheet if that's okay and credit you.
I wonder if it's just a partial of the entire line. I'll look tomorrow at what I have for 720-02-01.

Thank you for answering my questions. 63 bucks is way better than buying a new one for 800 bucks.

Throughout this whole question on HD, I keep asking myself if the units with Sirus and Nav capabilities can not be converted to also include HD. Like if they have switching inside to change parameters to enable HD. Somewhere, I thought I read something on this. That's probably a stretch but, if I go ahead and buy an HD unit, I'm going to open up my current ACM and look to see what's what. Other than not having HD, I have Nav and Sirus capability along with the 9 speaker system.

You are talking about enabling the temp gauge of which can be turned on in mine when the rpm gauge is present in the left info screen. I hope I can find more features I don't currently have that may be useful. :thumbsup:

IMG_7160.JPG
Thank you for answering my questions. 63 bucks is way better than buying a new one for 800 bucks
You are talking about enabling the temp gauge of which can be turned on in mine when the rpm gauge is present in the left info screen. I hope I can find more features I don't currently have that may be useful. :thumbsup:

I think he means the temperature display on the right LCD:

For 720-02-01, I see this on several different models: 0309 0700 3D (including checksum). I don't know that 4D85 BC50 1E26 would work on 2011-2015MY since it's missing two digits?

Ah, Ok. I have that displayed in the right info center on mine. I think it's displayed regardless of what feature is being shown.

I get my OBDLink Friday, Ill let you know.

IPC:
720-05-01:
XXXX-xxxx-xxzz

Not to make an already confusing thing more confusing but, Checking Ford parts on the HD radio option and opening up the parts illustration, it only states that Human interface 4 as the unit that would have the HD option and not all HI4 units have HD. Also in the illustration, the faceplate shown looks to be the 'Sony' face plate. Below are most of the parts related to Human interface 4 along with the parts illustration. So, it would appear that if one wanted to get HD, they would have to have the HI4 ACM and related parts but, in only appears that way and it does make things a bit more interesting. Note the different amplifiers available as well. All related to the HI4. However, I haven't made a comparison to what I have, the HI3 ACM so, the amps and other related parts may be the same parts and are only referenced to the HI4 in the illustration. Let me make it clear that needing the combination of all these parts are probably not necessary to get HD. Just an interesting, related, list.

FordGenuineParts.gif

Audio Chassis
Human Machine Interface 4 ; HD Radio Broadcast; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Audio Control Module (ACM)
$798.37
Callout Name: 19A387
Part Number
Part Description Price Your Price Availability Quantity
C1BZ-19A387-C

FordMotorcraft.gif

Mobile Phone Transceiver
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Sync II
$112.83

Number Part Description Price Your Price Availability Quantity

FordGenuineParts.gif

Radio And Climate Control Faceplate
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM)

Callout Name: 18B849A
Part Number Part Description Price Your Price Availability Quantity
18B849A

FordGenuineParts.gif

Kit - Amplifier
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Includes Mounting Bracket
$569.96 Add to cart
18B849A

FordGenuineParts.gif

Kit - Amplifier
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Includes Mounting Bracket
$536.44 Add to cart

Callout Name: 18B849B
18B849

FordGenuineParts.gif

Kit - Amplifier
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Less Bracket
$344.73
14D212

FordGenuineParts.gif

Audio Accessory Interface Module
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Accessory Protocol Interface Module (Sync Module)
$583.89
10D885

FordGenuineParts.gif

Audio Unit Display
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Front Display Interface Module (FDIM)
Add to cart
10D885

FordGenuineParts.gif

Audio Unit Display
Human Machine Interface 4 ; Sync II; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Front Display Interface Module (FDIM)

RenderIllustration.ashx

The illustration obviously does not show the link descriptions of the parts as they are illustrated on the Ford parts site. You'll have to go their and click on the pic to get that info. I have used my year Explorer for this list just for your info.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/RenderIllustration.ashx?id=416492199&f=3&n=EB5Z18C869JA

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2015&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

Comparing HD Radio in the Explorer with the XLT system to the Fusion Titanium with the Sony system, I don't think the HD Radio was worth it in my opinion unless if you install a sub.

Credit goes to Jason, forum member jmr061.

Jason is the pioneer in all the navigation and other editings. I'll make sure to give him good credit.

Comparing HD Radio in the Explorer with the XLT system to the Fusion Titanium with the Sony system, I don't think the HD Radio was worth it in my opinion unless if you install a sub.

So, you have installed the HD unit in your Ex. I'm curious to find out if there was any other pieces you needed to add or replace? I know you have to go in and change the programing for it to work, did it show up in ForScan after install? Sorry if my question may be answered in a previous thread but, it would be good if the install process was shown in one thread rather than having to go back and forth for this info. I'm also curious as to how my Nav system will be affected by a different ACM unit installed. I have my eye on a HD ACM on Ebay that I'm considering that was in a '15 model Ex and I don't want to go forward with the purchase without knowing if I need to get more parts for it to work correctly. My concern is that it appears to be these HD ACM's are the Sony units built for the 12 speaker sound system so, I understand your statement about a sub making it more worth the change. Thanks

So, you have installed the HD unit in your Ex. I'm curious to find out if there was any other pieces you needed to add or replace? I know you have to go in and change the programing for it to work, did it show up in ForScan after install? Sorry if my question may be answered in a previous thread but, it would be good if the install process was shown in one thread rather than having to go back and forth for this info. I'm also curious as to how my Nav system will be affected by a different ACM unit installed. I have my eye on a HD ACM on Ebay that I'm considering that was in a '15 model Ex and I don't want to go forward with the purchase without knowing if I need to get more parts for it to work correctly. My concern is that it appears to be these HD ACM's are the Sony units built for the 12 speaker sound system so, I understand your statement about a sub making it more worth the change. Thanks

You just need the HD ACM. It's also easy to take out. I'll upload a video soon.

Great! I have ordered an HD ACM for my Ex from Ebay. Should be here a week from Friday. Now, I was wondering about those amplifiers in the pic I put up in a previous post above (check it out). There are 3 versions of these 'amps' shown but, they do not show up in the parts list although you can order them from the illustration list from the site. For a little while, I was thinking they had something to do with the subwoofer which would be located in the right rear corner as the 'amp' is located next to it. Since it doesn't show up in the illustration for my Ex, I figured I didn't have one but, I was still curious as to why they have 3 different versions. So, I opened up my repair manual to see if I couldn't find out why. One of the amps is simply an 'audio amp' as described and the other two are 'DSP' amps. All of these amps are related to the Human Interface 4 units in different variations. I'm guessing that using one of the DSP amps with the HD ACM may allow the features like DSP for surround sound and EQ to function correctly as well as being an amp, even without the subwoofer. Knowing that car manufacturers will use the same wiring with all connections for all models, the connections for these amps may be in place and not used for the lesser systems. It may be worth pulling the panel off to find out. Of course, if anybody knows this already, that would be helpful to share.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read a post by Jason, jmr061, in another thread that mentioned the APIM also has to be programmed.

Peter

Back