How to: - New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Great! I have ordered an HD ACM for my Ex from Ebay. Should be here a week from Friday. Now, I was wondering about those amplifiers in the pic I put up in a previous post above (check it out). There are 3 versions of these 'amps' shown but, they do not show up in the parts list although you can order them from the illustration list from the site. For a little while, I was thinking they had something to do with the subwoofer which would be located in the right rear corner as the 'amp' is located next to it. Since it doesn't show up in the illustration for my Ex, I figured I didn't have one but, I was still curious as to why they have 3 different versions. So, I opened up my repair manual to see if I couldn't find out why. One of the amps is simply an 'audio amp' as described and the other two are 'DSP' amps. All of these amps are related to the Human Interface 4 units in different variations. I'm guessing that using one of the DSP amps with the HD ACM may allow the features like DSP for surround sound and EQ to function correctly as well as being an amp, even without the subwoofer. Knowing that car manufacturers will use the same wiring with all connections for all models, the connections for these amps may be in place and not used for the lesser systems. It may be worth pulling the panel off to find out. Of course, if anybody knows this already, that would be helpful to share.:thumbsup:
I swapped ACM between my Focus (with HD) and Explorer without HD. Explorer started receiving HD right away without any modifications, I was able to switch HD channels, there only thing missing was HD radio soft button on APIM, on right IPC display HD logo was appearing.
Focus upon the swap lost HD receiving capabilities of course, HD radio button on MFT screen did just nothing.
I did not open ACM units, but Focus's one clearly marked as HD capable with its logo on sticker, Explorer has none so I think it is a hardware.
Now, with Forscan it is very easy to activate HD soft button on MFT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read a post by Jason, jmr061, in another thread that mentioned the APIM also has to be programmed.

Peter

Correct, the value to edit is listed on the FORscan spreadsheet.

720-04-01 xx9x xxxx xxzz - without having the expy nearby, can someone give this a try for temperature reading on the Infotainment Display? Besides remote start, it's the only digit that's different from my as-built data. xx1x is stock. It seems like our expy has it enabled, just never noticed it, but I can't verify until later.

Thanks; I haven't found one 2013 PI without an engine hour meter to compare to.

Here are the perfect bits I've found for 720 using 16 PI's compared to all other models on 2013MY. May be worth a shot if someone has some time to kill:

Code:
Perfect Bits:
720-01-01 bit 12  val 1            xxx2 to A
720-01-01 bit 31  val 1            xxxx xxxC to D    [for Sport: xxxx xxxE to F]
720-01-01 bit 36  val 1            xxxx xxxx x4 to C
720-01-01 bit 39  val 1            xxxx xxxx x4 to 5 (or D in conjunction with bit 36)

720-01-02 bit 11  val 1            xx2x to 3

720-01-03 bit 12  val 1            remote start
720-01-03 bit 14  val 1            remote start

720-02-01 bit 1  val 1            0xxx to 4
720-02-01 bit 3  val 1            0xxx to 1 (or 5 in conjunction with bit 1)
720-02-01 bit 5  val 1            x3xx to B
720-02-01 bit 9  val 1            xx0x to 8
720-02-01 bit 11  val 1            xx0x to 2 (or A in conjunction with bit 9)
720-02-01 bit 14  val 1            xxx9 to B

By the way, anyone have a picture of the hour meter in action?

I swapped ACM between my Focus (with HD) and Explorer without HD. Explorer started receiving HD right away without any modifications, I was able to switch HD channels, there only thing missing was HD radio soft button on APIM, on right IPC display HD logo was appearing.
Focus upon the swap lost HD receiving capabilities of course, HD radio button on MFT screen did just nothing.
I did not open ACM units, but Focus's one clearly marked as HD capable with its logo on sticker, Explorer has none so I think it is a hardware.
Now, with Forscan it is very easy to activate HD soft button on MFT

I would assume that without doing anything else but installing the HD ACM, some of the features of the new unit will show up on the display screen is some fashion. My concern about swapping the units was a difference in connections which there is no evidence of and a additional connection added which there also is no evidence of. I had no doubt that the screen displays would show up in some fashion. It all has to do with compatibility. Installing the 'Sony' ACM in place of the 'Brand X' (Pioneer?) ACM. What this process is doing for me is helping me understand all the processes involved in doing a swap like this and making sure there are no differences in the other components. The only difference in components I see is the FCIM, the addition of an amp and subwoofer and a couple extra speakers. I'm still interested in the possible addition of the available amps main function whether it is merely a boost for the subwoofer or it serves as a boost for the entire system which would probably make features like DSP and EQ more relevant. Bottom line is they made upgrading the car audio system more complex than ever along with the mysterious supplier that Ford uses that requires a form and the return of your old unit to them before you get that 'upgrade' should you go that route. Even Ford parts guys are mystified about this process. With that said, it seems a waste for Ford to use this process when it seems easiest for the customer to go around it by using Ebay...without a form and a swap.

You can't 'swap' the 9 speaker system for the 12 speaker system but, you can swap and maybe add available components. You can't buy an aftermarket system to replace because there isn't one without extreme modification. It's not like it used to be.

Correct, the value to edit is listed on the FORscan spreadsheet.

Looking forward to this process as well.

I read a post by Jason, jmr061, in another thread that mentioned the APIM also has to be programmed.Peter

Check!:thumbsup:

Ok, some of my inquiries about the 'amps' I have found out about. In the 12 speaker system, the 'DSP' is in between the ACM and all the speakers. The 'DSP' or Digital Signal Processor, is the separate amp. This makes me think that those features like DSP or, in this case, surround sound and the EQ probably work as a result of this amp. So, the only question is: Does Ford use the same wiring harness for all of the audio systems. If they do, it should be possible to add a DSP amp to your 9 speaker system with the addition of the HD ACM.

I would assume that without doing anything else but installing the HD ACM, some of the features of the new unit will show up on the display screen is some fashion. My concern about swapping the units was a difference in connections which there is no evidence of and a additional connection added which there also is no evidence of. I had no doubt that the screen displays would show up in some fashion. It all has to do with compatibility. Installing the 'Sony' ACM in place of the 'Brand X' (Pioneer?) ACM. What this process is doing for me is helping me understand all the processes involved in doing a swap like this and making sure there are no differences in the other components. The only difference in components I see is the FCIM, the addition of an amp and subwoofer and a couple extra speakers. I'm still interested in the possible addition of the available amps main function whether it is merely a boost for the subwoofer or it serves as a boost for the entire system which would probably make features like DSP and EQ more relevant. Bottom line is they made upgrading the car audio system more complex than ever along with the mysterious supplier that Ford uses that requires a form and the return of your old unit to them before you get that 'upgrade' should you go that route. Even Ford parts guys are mystified about this process. With that said, it seems a waste for Ford to use this process when it seems easiest for the customer to go around it by using Ebay...without a form and a swap.

You can't 'swap' the 9 speaker system for the 12 speaker system but, you can swap and maybe add available components. You can't buy an aftermarket system to replace because there isn't one without extreme modification. It's not like it used to be.

Looking forward to this process as well.

Check!:thumbsup:

Ok, some of my inquiries about the 'amps' I have found out about. In the 12 speaker system, the 'DSP' is in between the ACM and all the speakers. The 'DSP' or Digital Signal Processor, is the separate amp. This makes me think that those features like DSP or, in this case, surround sound and the EQ probably work as a result of this amp. So, the only question is: Does Ford use the same wiring harness for all of the audio systems. If they do, it should be possible to add a DSP amp to your 9 speaker system with the addition of the HD ACM.

By DSP amp, do you mean the middle speaker above the center stack?

Ok, Your friend replaced the ACM. Can you ask him the process at which he got the new ACM and what he paid for it because for just the upgrade to HD, doesn't seem worth the price. Oh, I already have remote start so, I don't know how that ties into a new ACM.

Also, I just got off the phone with Ford parts, local dealer and he could not confirm that the replacement would have the same connections as the new one and that a new ACM would be sold 'as is' with no guarantee that it would work. Aside from the form being submitted, they get these ACMs from an outside source that makes it seem like they are a 'skunk works' and it is required that you have your old unit to turn in, in order to get the replacement. That would suggest that your Ex would be 'down for the count' until the replacement arrived. All in all, this is turning into something that just ain't worth it.
Sorry. I just saw this. He got it on eBay and I reprogrammed it.

720-04-01 xx9x xxxx xxzz - without having the expy nearby, can someone give this a try for temperature reading on the Infotainment Display? Besides remote start, it's the only digit that's different from my as-built data. xx1x is stock. It seems like our expy has it enabled, just never noticed it, but I can't verify until later.
What year are you trying to enable the temperature display?

By DSP amp, do you mean the middle speaker above the center stack?

No, not the middle speaker. No, I'm talking about the amp in the Sony system located just in front of the subwoofer in the rear. If you don't have the OEM Sony system, you don't have one. But, it may be possible to add one if the same wiring harness with all the connections, is being used for all the audio systems. The ACM, by itself, functions as the amp in the non Sony systems.

Looking at the diagrams associated with the 'Premium Plus' sound system and the Sony system, I may be wrong about what systems use the amps. I am putting together these diagrams to put in a different post. The reason I say the 9 speaker system doesn't use a separate amp is because the diagram for the 9 speaker doesn't show it, it also doesn't show up in the parts illustration in Ford parts for the HI3 ACMs. Only the HI4 ACMs. However, in the section in the repair manual dealing with the 'Premium Plus' system, it does show an amp in a different section. I believe that in this regard, a HI4 ACM is used as a variable in the 'Premium Plus' system. Even more confused than ever? Maybe the pics I put up will clear things a bit. Stay tuned.:thumbsup:

Just the little outside temp display?
Yes, I believe so. Someone was asking for it earlier in the thread, and I thought I remember seeing it on my display, but I don't have the vehicle with me.

Thanks; I haven't found one 2013 PI without an engine hour meter to compare to.

Here are the perfect bits I've found for 720 using 16 PI's compared to all other models on 2013MY. May be worth a shot if someone has some time to kill:

Code:
Perfect Bits:
720-01-01 bit 12  val 1            xxx2 to A
720-01-01 bit 31  val 1            xxxx xxxC to D    [for Sport: xxxx xxxE to F]
720-01-01 bit 36  val 1            xxxx xxxx x4 to C
720-01-01 bit 39  val 1            xxxx xxxx x4 to 5 (or D in conjunction with bit 36)

720-01-02 bit 11  val 1            xx2x to 3

720-01-03 bit 12  val 1            remote start
720-01-03 bit 14  val 1            remote start

720-02-01 bit 1  val 1            0xxx to 4
720-02-01 bit 3  val 1            0xxx to 1 (or 5 in conjunction with bit 1)
720-02-01 bit 5  val 1            x3xx to B
720-02-01 bit 9  val 1            xx0x to 8
720-02-01 bit 11  val 1            xx0x to 2 (or A in conjunction with bit 9)
720-02-01 bit 14  val 1            xxx9 to B

By the way, anyone have a picture of the hour meter in action?

Thanks. I'll play around with it when I have some time.

Sorry about the mess of pics but, this subject is so confusing it needs 'splainin':D

Ok, here are the diagrams I referenced earlier. Reference this with my previous posts and you may be a little less confused, if that's the case. The First set are of the Premium Plus system. Note the lack of an amplifier anywhere in the system descriptions although they have an amp shown in this that I believe is used with a HI4 ACM not associated with the Sony system. Notice in the chart, image D, or pic #4, if it doesn't show up as 'D', the lack of an amp as the ACM is connected to the speakers. I have this system in my Ex. As a matter of fact, here is my VIN, 1FM5K8D89FGB50960 if you want to check it out. Much of the stuff many of you want to enable, I have, I think.

The second set of diagrams are of the Sony system. Note the inclusion of an amp, referred to as a 'DSP' in the first diagram. Compare the Sony chart with the PP chart and you'll note that the 'DSP' in the Sony chart is in place of the ACM in the PP chart. The Sony chart shows the ACM connected to the DSP with the DSP connected to all the speakers. This is where I believe installing a DSP amp in my system may benefit the install of the HD ACM but, only if the wiring harness used is universal.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

SONY A.jpg

SONY B.jpg

SONY C.jpg

SONY D.jpg

If you're willing to try it out, give this a go:
IPC:
720-05-01:
XXXX-xxxx-xxzz
D8B8 (Default w/Navigation)

Let me know if it works! Thanks!
Wish I had this on my 14.

I discovered the bits that determine HD Radio. It's actually:
ACM
727-01-01:
HD Radio Enable ACM: x2xx-xxxx-xxzz
HD Radio Disable ACM: xAxx-xxxx-xxzz

Below are two modules for pertaining to the HD Radio string. The top one is without HD, the bottom, with HD. These vehicles are both 2015 models. This is in reference to the above post by 1995E. The top string is from my Ex as I don't have HD yet. I'm putting this up because, while it may be redundant, I'm a dummy and new to this stuff and I want a reference to look at within this post without having to go back and forth looking up stuff.:D

727-01-01 1A01 3808 008B No 00011010 00000001 00111000 00001000 00000000 10001011 EB5T-19C107-HB, EB5T-14D100-BB, EB5T-14D099-HB

727-01-01 12A0 F000 00D2 No 00010010 10100000 11110000 00000000 00000000 11010010 EB5T-19C107-JB, EB5T-14D100-CB, EB5T-14D099-JB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming this is what you all are referring to for temperature? Sorry for mr. blurrycam
gG3cb30l.png

Back