Help:eek: Aussie damsel in distress here:-) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help:eek: Aussie damsel in distress here:-)

well it sounds fine to most people I ask and it startsandrevs up fine,noproblem driving around...sounds good.but sounds worse than before aftee this guy changed the oil. even he said it sounded worse.

yes i know. I know I'm putting up with nonsense - what the hell's wrong with me.? To think my day job is a federal counter-terrorism investigator :) Abusive middle eastern thugs in jail don't faze me in the slightest...but these guys confuse me. All at sea I am:-(
Are you sure that none of those ex KGB Russians dumped a can of Novichock nerve agent into your gas tank? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure that none of those ex KGB Russians dumped a can of Novichock nerve agent into your gas tank? :D
Driving me slowly insane over a little old car is way more entertaining for them. Btw my niece just yelled out from the bin that she thinks the old guy put 10w-40? oil in. Would that be f^^king it up?

Sounds dangerous, misfiring lpg running rough exhaust leaks ECT. 🕰️💣 id hate to have something happen to fellow members... You got a good deal on it but dang... Its upsetting to hear your having issues with such simple issues... Not your fault. I've heard of horror stories about mechanics...

Dont mess with the lpg....are you sure both gas and lPG systems arent running at once? Like u gotta manually cut off petrol pump when switching over? 10w40 won't mess it up but if u got timing chains slapping it might not be good for the tensioner. Still it is a nice truck sorry if my comment upset you...

Change the oil back to the correct 5w30.

Yes, the 10W-40 wouldn't be a big problem, but a lower viscosity would be better. 0W-20 to 10W-30 is the right range, 40 weight is just a little thick for these newer engines. Just make it a good synthetic oil, not basic or a blend.

I've had 2 lifetime experiences with the use of LPG as a motor fuel. When I was a teenager in the midwest my father managed a trucking operation that had summer cooling units attached to the upper front of the trailers to transport food products that required cooling. Every year when winter arrived they unmounted the cooling units and rebuilt them prior to the next cooling season. The the units where powered by 2-cylinder air cooled engines that were subjected to 24 hour start/stop duty cycles for the duration of the northern hemisphere summer cooling season. May , when the units were re-installed, through late September. When the units were off-truck, heat for cargo that had to be kept from freezing was supplied by charcoal burners carefully monitored to prevent fires.

During the active cooling season the engine oil was changed weekly. Since this was the days before synthetics it was old-school petroleum oil that went in green and came out thick and black. By the end of June some engines would start failing and were replaced with a freshly rebuilt one or a new one. That maintence cycle went on until the end of the cooling season when they were no longer needed and would be removed for the winter overhaul cycle. This went on for years until one May the units were reinstalled after having been converted to LPG and LPG refueling was installed at the company's service facilities.. Same engine brand and the fleet still had a mix of rebuilt and new engines. That year, using the same oil change cycle, the drain oil each week still had the same greenish tint as new oil and there were almost no engine failures all season. The only difference was the fuel. The engine life had been extended dramatically by just changing fuel and eventually they were able to elimiate the winter removal/repair cycle and use the units as heat pumps with no fire danger.

In later years the manufacturer of the cooling units (Thremo-King) fielded many new designs, including using a small diesel that runs continuously and engages a clutch when cooling the trailer, so the engine ran at max efficiency.

Second experience - much later in the course of my working career I lived in Europe, in one of the Benelux countries, and LPG was very popular. In the US, LPG is not distributed widely along with gas/petrol if you wanted it you had to know where the local bulk LPG distributer was. That still exists today. In Canada that's not true. In Europe at that time almost every petrol station had at least one LPG pump available right next to the petrol and diesel pumps and many autos used LPG where we lived. The main driver of fuel use was that the governments taxed petrol higher to encourage the other fuels, making those more desirable. Several of the people I worked with had LPG and, in the days before factory-installed LPG they had it installed by the dealer when buying a new car.

That was long ago when the EU was just forming and I have no idea how it is now. I don't remember seeing LPG at the pumps in Australia so how widely is it distributed?

Dont mess with the lpg....are you sure both gas and lPG systems arent running at once? Like u gotta manually cut off petrol pump when switching over? 10w40 won't mess it up but if u got timing chains slapping it might not be good for the tensioner. Still it is a nice truck sorry if my comment upset you...
?? you didn't upset me at all! I'm very very grateful.

I just walked around six separate Auto stores & asked guys in there shopping & working (ones I saw had LPG cars parked outside) who they liked for LPG work & one particular guy was recommended by several. Lovely humble guy, he's booked out until late next month of course; but was so thrilled & flattered that via my random interviewing of 40+ guys he was recommended by 27 of them that he said he'll fit me in over his Xmas break next week:)

Btw one guy said while the Explorer uses 5W-30 *usually*...that a 1998 one goes better with 10W-40 or 50 because of it's age? Anyhow, research-nutter that I am, I'm writing all this up all this drama in a report to give mechanic no.4. Fingers crossed it's just the spark plugs so can be fixed, I'm in love with it already just buzzing around town. What a cool, cool car! Simple yet brilliant. My friends with $70k cars are jealous!

I've had 2 lifetime experiences with the use of LPG as a motor fuel. When I was a teenager in the midwest my father managed a trucking operation that had summer cooling units attached to the upper front of the trailers to transport food products that required cooling. Every year when winter arrived they unmounted the cooling units and rebuilt them prior to the next cooling season. The the units where powered by 2-cylinder air cooled engines that were subjected to 24 hour start/stop duty cycles for the duration of the northern hemisphere summer cooling season. May , when the units were re-installed, through late September. When the units were off-truck, heat for cargo that had to be kept from freezing was supplied by charcoal burners carefully monitored to prevent fires.

During the active cooling season the engine oil was changed weekly. Since this was the days before synthetics it was old-school petroleum oil that went in green and came out thick and black. By the end of June some engines would start failing and were replaced with a freshly rebuilt one or a new one. That maintence cycle went on until the end of the cooling season when they were no longer needed and would be removed for the winter overhaul cycle. This went on for years until one May the units were reinstalled after having been converted to LPG and LPG refueling was installed at the company's service facilities.. Same engine brand and the fleet still had a mix of rebuilt and new engines. That year, using the same oil change cycle, the drain oil each week still had the same greenish tint as new oil and there were almost no engine failures all season. The only difference was the fuel. The engine life had been extended dramatically by just changing fuel and eventually they were able to elimiate the winter removal/repair cycle and use the units as heat pumps with no fire danger.

In later years the manufacturer of the cooling units (Thremo-King) fielded many new designs, including using a small diesel that runs continuously and engages a clutch when cooling the trailer, so the engine ran at max efficiency.

Second experience - much later in the course of my working career I lived in Europe, in one of the Benelux countries, and LPG was very popular. In the US, LPG is not distributed widely along with gas/petrol if you wanted it you had to know where the local bulk LPG distributer was. That still exists today. In Canada that's not true. In Europe at that time almost every petrol station had at least one LPG pump available right next to the petrol and diesel pumps and many autos used LPG where we lived. The main driver of fuel use was that the governments taxed petrol higher to encourage the other fuels, making those more desirable. Several of the people I worked with had LPG and, in the days before factory-installed LPG they had it installed by the dealer when buying a new car.

That was long ago when the EU was just forming and I have no idea how it is now. I don't remember seeing LPG at the pumps in Australia so how widely is it distributed?
There are LPG pumps at (I'd guess?) 80% of petrol stations. My 3 sedans before this were all LPG and we drove around Australia ina LPG/ULP 1978 toyota coaster for 12 months & never had problems finding LPG pumps anywhere.

Although once on the Nullabor we'd run out and the guy had NO petrol or LPG (only diesel, truckers were 99% of his business). My husband freaked out and tried to ring someone (to complain like an idiot city slicker but no mobile reception for 300KM haha). I just put on the kettle, we had to camp in the desert & wait 5 days for the petrol & LP trucks to swing by.

Right now petrol is $1.67 a litre and LPG 49c a litre ....I've always been surprised it's not more popular. But I'm a cheapskate & love long drives. Always just taken my old LPG cars in, had everything serviced and all was fine. This is ...strange. I'm hoping it's just some weird twilight zone 2020 Covid drama which can all be resolved soon.

Omg how expensive is that petrol I'm like at 2.50$ a gallon2$ a gallon elsewere... Nullibar? Toyota coaster?ULP? Lol feeling like I stepped into the twighlight zone also 😄 but I catch your drift. Anyways VERY GLAD to hear there's someone out there to work on it.. You could tackle the plugs and wires in a afternoon if you wanted but until this dreamboat of a man looks at it I would take it easy on the big little ripper... Hearing those petrol prices...thats insane.... We don't even really use lpg over here. Just an update how's it running now? check engine light? Yea that 10w40 is like maple syrup though on a bloody hot day it's good but during the winter it would kill that motor. Try a delicious 30 weight next time in 3k miles. I would check for any fuel leaks just to be safe and like my mother said when I purchased my explorer ,"I don't want to see you pushing that thing" ..safety first

That's like over 4.50 a gallon! Side note 10w50 is like😱 must be hotter than planet Venus over there!

Omg how expensive is that petrol I'm like at 2.50$ a gallon2$ a gallon elsewere... Nullibar? Toyota coaster?ULP? Lol feeling like I stepped into the twighlight zone also 😄 but I catch your drift. Anyways VERY GLAD to hear there's someone out there to work on it.. You could tackle the plugs and wires in a afternoon if you wanted but until this dreamboat of a man looks at it I would take it easy on the big little ripper... Hearing those petrol prices...thats insane.... We don't even really use lpg over here. Just an update how's it running now? check engine light? Yea that 10w40 is like maple syrup though on a bloody hot day it's good but during the winter it would kill that motor. Try a delicious 30 weight next time in 3k miles. I would check for any fuel leaks just to be safe and like my mother said when I purchased my explorer ,"I don't want to see you pushing that thing" ..safety first
Haha yeah my Mum said "you always loved dragging home oldstrays, trying to love them back to life".Yeah I was too impatient trying to get to Sydney. My Spidey sense based on well, guesswork/hope is it's just the spark plugs...I tried to get a guy to put them in yesterday but he insisted this magic man check it out first (he looks and sounds like Jed from Beverley Hillbillies, DownUnder that,or any American accent = trustworthy!

All these guys giving me advice...8 now stuffed me around. I'm thinking I need to drive over the other side of town where they have high tech machines. Car still driving unregistered so thank thee lordy I'm a tiny young female so can sob my way out of tickets:bounce:

Toyoya Coaster = a popular minibus which converts to a campervan. In the desert here 4wds/SUVs are often referred to as Toyotas as they are used by gov't workers so remote mechanics can fix them/there are plenty of parts. We had zero idea what we were doing so needed something a remote mechanic could fix.

Nullabor = a highway across the bottom of Australia. Took us 4.5 days of driving 14 hours a day to cross it,mostly empty desert. 5 Weird Facts About The Nullarbor Plain

ULP = unleaded petrol. I have no idea what to call petrol and gas with you yanks;)and yes,wildly expensive. I have no idea why. Our gov't is dumb at negotiating? we are so far from everything so transport costs?

Our cars cost WAY more than you guys pay,I know that!

That's like over 4.50 a gallon! Side note 10w50 is like😱 must be hotter than planet Venus over there!
here's some ideas:
Why is fuel more expensive in Australia compared to the United States?

Several main reasons…

1. Australia has very little oil in the ground, so imports most of its petroleum requirements, paying internation market rates. The USA has gigalitres upon gigalitres, the USA only imports oil when its cheaper than pumping it out of the ground.
  2. Australia’’s population size! Our refineries (what few still exist) simply have not got the economies of scale that the USA refineries enjoy. Thus Australian production costs are higher for petroleum products. To the point it is cheaper to import Australia’s petroleum requirements from Singapore & elsewhere.
  3. Australia is a bloody long way away from anywhere, so import costs are higher than say Europe, Africa or the USA. As already noted: Australia imports most of its petroleum requirements, simply because even with the freight costs, it is the cheapest option!
“Australia has been progressively shutting refineries – Westernport in 1984, Matraville in 1985, Port Stanvac in 2009, Clyde in 2012, Kurnell in 2014, Bulwer in 2015. With each shutdown, the rest become a little more economic”.

Why our oil refineries are shutting down

Our temps are very mild compared to yours I think is the reason for the oil thing. For eg I live in what is considered one of the coldest parts of Oz and our coldest early morning winter temps (2-3 months of the years) are around 40 F...we consider that freezing! The only time I've ever seen snow was as a kid visiting my aunt in Maine - it was unbearable-)

40 weight 50 weight I mean I like living on the edge taking risks

But I'd never use over 10w 30
Just my humble opinion

Second post coming but Donalds knows alot about your motor... He REALLY knows better than the auto parts counter guy... My concern about the 40wt is those tensioners idk how that syrup is flowing like is it 80 degrees at night?

Very small oil passages for that thick oil

If you want thicker oil just buy 10w 30 high mileage
Imo

Yes 10w30 would be finger licking good... Theirs passages less than 1/4 inch... Do u have oil pressure gauge?Anyways....from what I understand government here is like 🤓 we need oil reserves.. Yes we do use our own oil but we have a huge supply/ "gigaliters" more zillions of terraliters. We have laws preventing companies from pumping and environmentalists shutting it down even the oil that is pumped can only go so deep and very specific areas. Jed from Beverly hillbillies lmfao I love that show omfg yea he sounds like a good guy lol I watch that all the time bahahahah hahahah 😆... We aren't as ignorant as the show but omg I've met some characters just like that myself over here hahaha usually good guys lol good one. But he's like my idol because he has all the awnsers. Idk what u mean American accent because that's like saying u talk really good or, actually no decernable accent...even Jed is understood...if u talk like that guy from Joe dirt "home is where you make it" now that's over the top lol...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The engine was made for about a 30 weight when warm oil at most. The cold startup is where the first number matters, a 0W or 10W is fine for almost all engines. Highly worn out engines might not be good to use a 0W-30 etc, but if the lowest low is 40F, I'd choose a 10W oil, 10W-30 for what I think are hotter highs there.

Meaning I would avoid a 0W-20, which is among a recommended oil weight for most late model cars. For that kind of warm climate, I'd aim for a 10W-30, but a 10W-40 is not a problem, or the best choice. It won't hurt anything, the SOHC 4.0's problems are not related to oil weight choices. The two external tensioners are the only differences compared to the oil passages of 99% of engines of that era, or older. Those tensioners need oil to help functioning, and warmed up I doubt the 40 weight is a real difference in function. I have used 10W-40 in all of my cars at one time I'm sure, I choose oil based on the time of year(cold or hot), and pricing as it changes often by Amazon or Walmart here.

My 95 CV 4.6 was a hurt old police car, broke a valve spring not long after I bought it. It has always had a bit more noise from one valve cover than I'd like. I have used various oil additives, and thicker oil, which does help slightly to quiet it.

I wouldn't use a 20W-50, which used to be the best choice for performance engines, I'm familiar with that from the 70's and 80's. But a 10W-40 is not a bad choice. For over there in OZ, I'd do the 10W-30 in Winter, and 10W-40 in high Summer heat. But the 10W-30 would be great all the time too. So your choice, it's about learning what works best for your climate, and usage.

The books, manuals, and idiots at dealer service departments, ignore them or laugh at them. Be smart and learn for yourself what works best for you.

Back