Loud clicking/ticking Noise in Reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud clicking/ticking Noise in Reverse

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Had the orginal trans rebuilt in Nov 2009 when the reverse gave out. Reverse gave out again Oct 2010 but it had 3 weeks left on the 1 year warrenty and they fixed reverse again on their dime.

Just this afternoon I was coming back from some errands, got to my house, and put in reverse to parrallel park --- tick/click noise that acclerated with engine speed in reverse. Once I got in the parking spot. I slowly shifted through the gears to see how it felt and the park to reverse motion is feels "thick" like is has more resistance than it should. Park to drive is ok. I took it around the block in drive (no reverse) and drive is smooth, no clicking/ticking noise.

Last two times, reverse just exploded with a loud bang. This time I'm getting a loud tick/clicking. In reverse, stopped, there is no noise. The noise sounds metalic/mechanical. Wondering and hoping it's not the trans because I dont have $2000 this time around to rebuild it. So give me some good news!

Thanks

sounds like the parking pin is moving out of alignment. may want to have the trans shop hear and look at that!

I agree its one of those 'bring it to a pro before it explodes' situations. So the parking pawl... interesting thought. There is a small amount of movement in park without the brake on. I feels like the xplorer is 'settling' but I guess it's 1/2 inch of movment maybe.

I found this parking pawl test on another site (i believe land rovers) think its applicable with our rigs?

"If the vehicle rolls while the transmission is in Park, there is a transmission problem since the parking pawl should hold it. This problem is not too bad to fix since it can be accessed from the rear. If the transmission makes noises or has unusual shift behavior, or for any other reason excites your suspicions, you can try the following quick check. Place the vehicle in park WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ON, put your left foot FIRMLY on the brake (the vehicle should not be pointing at anything you don't want to hit), then rev the engine while watching the tach. The tach should not exceed 2000 rpm. If it does it's time to think about a new transmission. If there's a noise, stop... also time to buy a new transmission or torque convertor! Do not do this test for more than a few seconds. Promptly let the power off and idle the vehicle for a while to let the transmission cool (or drive around under light load for a few minutes). Excessive testing like this will trash the transmission even if it doesn't already have a problem! (This can be done for each gear)."

Back