Lowering the Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Bodybump, have you lowered yours yet? I think I'll 'borrow' your black edition emblem idea.
To anyone else who lowers it, I took it in for an alignment and the rear camber was way off at -2.5 degrees. They said there is no factory adjustment for it. After I got it home I found out there is. The hole in the upper arm where the bolt goes through for the knuckle is elongated to allow for adjustment. I put it all the way out and I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow for fine tuning.

Sorry to bring up a semi dead thread... but once you pulled the upper arm bolt out what did the camber come back too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's now -1.4 left, -1.8 right. If I really wanted to I could shift the cradle and get them both to -1.6 but I'm happy with it. Factory specs i think are +.14 to -1.5.

It's now -1.4 left, -1.8 right. If I really wanted to I could shift the cradle and get them both to -1.6 but I'm happy with it. Factory specs i think are +.14 to -1.5.

so Tire wear is still pretty good? Im just asking to decide weather or not to get the camber adjustment bolt for when i put the springs on...:thumbsup:

Any pic of what bolt that may be that gets that adjustment? I'm assuming it's not one that you have to undo for installing the springs?

That's the only thing that was keeping me from ordering a drop kit was getting it back in alignment. If that's an easy fix like this, I'll order one tomorrow lol

Has anyone tried the actual H&R Explorer springs yet? I would like to see pictures. The Flex look great though.

Looks really good. Certainly on my list of once i actually get it in a few weeks lol.

The project was MUCH easier than I expected.

The back took my friend and I less than an hour for both sides from start to finish.

The front took about two hours.

Heres the process as best as I recall.

Remove rear tire
Remove top and bottom stabilizer bolts....holds short 6" rod
Remove shock bolt
Remove lower control arm bolt
Remove Spring
Reverse process

Remove front tire
Remove upper swaybar bolt
Remove both lower strut bolts....after removing nut....punch bolt out as it is splined and pressed in.
Remove four nuts on top of shock tower.
Remove strut
Compress spring, remove nut from the end and remove from strut
Install new spring, compress and put nut back in top of strut
Reverse process

Sport looks mean.....not slammed.....coupled with 1" spacers front and rear really looks sharp.

Get some pics up for us to see if you can.

Anxious to see pics. Nice work!

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol. How's the ride and handling now? Most people have reported an improvement in both.

Was raining earlier and just detailed so did not want to get it out for pics....the suns peaking through....if it dries and I can get some pics, I will post some.

Did a quick drive yesterday but not an opportunity to test handling. The ride did not seem different. The one thing that was very noticeable was my new coon hunting lights. My lights were in the tree tops after getting it level.

Also, when you stand next to the vehicle it seems so much lower than it used to yet there is about two inches between tire and wheel well.

I'm 6' 0".....and can see the roof easily now.

Did you use camber bolts? I ordered my Explorer H&R Springs yesterday so very interested in your results.

Thanks!

Silverstallion, very interested to hear how low yours is with the explorer springs vs. the edge springs the OP used.

OP, can you take measurements from the center of the rim to the bottom of the wheel well? And silverstallion can you do the same? This will tell us exactly what drop difference there is between the explorer and flex drops.

Also, which bolts did you remove on the control arms to get the springs out? I want to do this mod ASAP, I've done quite a few drops on Lightnings, Harley trucks, and did one on our Mustang, just always makes it easier with knowing exactly what to remove ahead of time. If anyone can take a pic pointing out which bolts come out for the main parts it's be appreciated!

Pics and Mods List

Here are some pics of my lowered Explorer

I used the Flex Springs.....not the Edge springs

I have not used a Camber Bolt as I have not aligned it yet....going today.

Will take some measurements when I get a moment.

Mods List Incudes:

Lund 93 Tune
Magnaflow Exhaust
Airaid intake with custom hood seal
Opening cut in grill
HID's in headlights and fogs 6000K CoolBulbs
Front Plate Delete
Window tint....20% on fronts and Limo from 2nd row back
LEDs: Front Maps, Visors, 2nd and 3rd row dome (no moonroof), Glove box, License Plates, and Rear cargo light
H&R Ford Flex Springs
1" wheel spacers front and rear
Weathertech floor mats
3M Vinyl Door Handle wrap
Radar hard wired

Looks great with the H&R's! Curious to see how it looks after the springs settle as well!

Please get us some updated pics in a couple weeks!

Looks good!

Silverstallion, very interested to hear how low yours is with the explorer springs vs. the edge springs the OP used.

OP, can you take measurements from the center of the rim to the bottom of the wheel well? And silverstallion can you do the same? This will tell us exactly what drop difference there is between the explorer and flex drops.

Also, which bolts did you remove on the control arms to get the springs out? I want to do this mod ASAP, I've done quite a few drops on Lightnings, Harley trucks, and did one on our Mustang, just always makes it easier with knowing exactly what to remove ahead of time. If anyone can take a pic pointing out which bolts come out for the main parts it's be appreciated!

This! Been waiting for a spring comparison. Also noticed you have the magnaflow exhaust. How's the sound? Any drone?

Confirmed my springs (Explorer version H&R) arrive Tuesday. Will be installed the following Tuesday. Just for an update.

Cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love the look of the lowered Sport.

It is definitely hugging the road better.

My issue is with getting camber correct.

I am -.8 in both fronts without any correction yet. I cannot find Camber bolts. SPC Alignment does not make bolts for Explorer.

Rears are -1.4 and -1.5 at maximum adjustment.

Three questions:

1. Does anyone know where to get Camber Bolts for our Explorers?

2. My alignment guy said I could try rotating the top of the strut 90*.
Currently the dimple is facing outward. Does anyone know if rotating the dimple to the inside will reduce camber or add camber?

3. What is everyone doing to fix rear camber? It is a bit much for acceptable tire wear. Handles great though.

Back