4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely don't have THAT much to spend!! I was thinking some headers, maybe some port work on the engine, new exhaust system too. That is down the road though, gotta get my tranny swapped out first, thats if I wind up being able to do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I've decided that I'm gonna do the swap. I have already bought a 5 speed starter. Next is a trip to the junkyard probably in two weeks when I get paid. Hopefully I can find some more small parts. that's how i'm going to do it, small parts first, then come the bigger ones :)

Eventually I'll dig the engine stuff.

sohc cast headers to ohv?

this may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if the sohc 4.0 cast headers will work on the 4.0 ohv cylinder heads? Im looking to do an exhaust on my soon to be top end built motor, but i want to retain some good back pressure. Also Im going to run a Borla muffler with no cats, any advice on what diameter pipe? I was thinking either 2.25" or 2.5" single, not duals.

New, old member here. I'm in the middle of building the OHV into what most guys on this and other threads are considering...ported heads, cam, unshrouded valves, large dish 99 pistons for lower compression (in my heads) standard bore and stroke and an intercooled, turbo with a small amount of boost. Then there is the rebuilt transmission, the 8.8 Explorer axle with welding and a rebuild for peace of mind. (Not my first or last engine rebuild fyi - been doing this a long time)

I have spent a basketfull of money.

There is more to spend if you have an auto - most of them won't take boosted torque for long. The stick shift trans from Mazda that Ford used are not exactly Trimec's either. But, I'm not building a racer, I'm just making all the running gear in this truck new or improved. Still a boosted 4.0 has more than enough torque to bust things depending upon how you drive it.

I'm also shopping for another Explorer as a third car. It is amazing how many $600 soon-to-be hunting lease Explorers are out there with both 5.0 and 4.6 engines. For 2200-3000 in Texas you can find licensed and registered rust-free Explorers. (see any Texas Craigslist)

The wiring and 5.0 from an Explorer would convert my Ranger to a V8 for which race parts, 800-1000 horsepower (auto) transmissions are plentiful. If you are talking stick shift even more stuff bolts up to the 5.0 - most of it cheap plentiful and available at the wrecking yards.

I swear I have already spent more money on this truck than if I had bought a 5.0 Explorer, a pair of ported heads and a $350 shortblock, and put Mustang intake upgrades on the engine and bolted a C6 or something like that to it. If I remember right the 99 Mustang 5.0 could get close to 500hp with the right stuff - I'd settle for whatever

I'm going to finish the project as I started it. But think about the difference in price and availability of 4.0 rebuild parts vs. the 5.0's instant torque and hp. The V8 swap even it is more $ is dollars better spent if your are going for the big numbers - at least that's how it's looking to me from this end of the checkbook.

Would be happy with 207hp

I don't get it. I had several 2001 4.0 engines that had lots of power. When I bought a 2011 4.0 Ranger it is severely lacking in the power department. If Ford intentionally de-tuned it, it shouldn't be advertised as 207hp. Can the engine tune be re-flashed to the 2001 tune? I doubt I could just stuff in a PCM out of a 2001 as I'm sure there's way more crap being controlled on my later model. I had a 2005 Mustang with the 4.0 and the Ford dealer re-flashed it to 2010 tune which was an improvement. Anybody got any experience to share along this line???

I don't get it. I had several 2001 4.0 engines that had lots of power. When I bought a 2011 4.0 Ranger it is severely lacking in the power department. If Ford intentionally de-tuned it, it shouldn't be advertised as 207hp. Can the engine tune be re-flashed to the 2001 tune? I doubt I could just stuff in a PCM out of a 2001 as I'm sure there's way more crap being controlled on my later model. I had a 2005 Mustang with the 4.0 and the Ford dealer re-flashed it to 2010 tune which was an improvement. Anybody got any experience to share along this line???

All about gearing

Would be happy with 207hp

I completely agree that gearing definitely helps! Still though, where did the horse power go? There's no low end power either. My 2001 & 2002 would never roll back on a slight hill in drive. My 2011 feels like it has a high stall converter allowing it to roll back on a simple driveway the second I come off the brake. All this was checked out as a warranty issue at the Ford dealer and they claim its normal!!!! So was it an intentional de-tuning? Just trying to figure out what happened.

Back