Jakee's 4.0 SOHC Build up discussion and motivation thread | Page 73 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jakee's 4.0 SOHC Build up discussion and motivation thread

After Camber adjusters, Body bushings, rear sway bar, and brakes are complete, I'll be posting baseline dyno numbers. First things first. Must be safe!

EDIT (11-6-2007)

Let me save you some time by posting the summary to this thread. The thread is filled with a bunch of off topic ramblings. Read on if you want but be warned.

Summary to this thread....

I'm going to attempt to close this thread because the N/A goal is coming to an end. I really lost interest in the N/A goal a few months back, and It just doesn't make sense (from a $/HP perspective) to buy anymore bolt-ons when the force feed options are available for us 4.0 SOHC guys. I would rather save the money to buy a turbo than to keep spending big bucks for little gains. And so, this is what I did, and these are my opinions on how the mod worked out.

The first thing was the intake. I can remember going around in circles trying to figure out which one to buy. The Volant? no, the K&N....wait a minute, the MAC is cheaper? Anyways, I finally decided on the MAC intake because of the cost. All and all, an intake is an intake. You're not going to see a big huge difference between any of them, but I still feel the best out there is the Volant. I believe in a "Closed" intake. In other words; I don't like the idea of sucking hot engine air thru an open filter under the hood. That's just me and the difference between a "Closed" intake and an "Open" is very small. I did, however, see a gain from customizing the MAC intake by closing in the air filter with a trash can....Yes, you heard me right, a freaking trash can that I cut to fit in the engine bay. It worked good and people usually don't notice what it is. They just think it looks cool. Anyways, I also replaced the MAC filter with a Volant filter; cut a 3-1/2" hole thru the fender and placed a Volant filter thru it. No water can get to it, well....not from this area....I then added spectra hoses from the front of the vehicle where the fog lights were for a "Ram air" attempt. I had a couple of aluminum parts machined for a clean install. That was it for the intake.

Next, I believe I ordered the 73MM C&L from hensonperfromance. This housing uses the same electronics but is just a bit bigger than the stock plastic MAF housing. The gain was small, but was worth it. I believe I've found dyno's of a 7 RWHP gain? Not sure, but there is a gain there.

The TB was the next thing. I purchased a 4.6 TB from KBX performance because I heard a guy named James had discovered it to work with the 4.0 SOHC. I later fooled around and half shafted it. Basically, what that does is removes half the rod that the butterfly is attached too. Do a search on "half shafting a TB" or something like that to get more details. I believe this mod really doesn't give big HP; more throttle response than anything but it's worth it.

When I had the TB off, I noticed this big tube right in the way of the airflow. The tube is the EGR valve and the reason it's sticking in there is to evenly vent exhaust gases back in the intake. Do not remove the EGR valve; it actually helps you. What I did was remove the part that's in the way of the air-flow. I have no idea if this helped me, but It felt like it did. The only ill effect I can think of is maybe one side of the engine is getting more EGR flow; however, I haven't seen traces of this on the spark plugs so I believe it's good.

Now for the exhaust....yeah, it's hard to get a 4.0 SOHC to sound good. In fact, I think mine still sounds pretty bad. I started off with the Gibson Cat back and if your looking for a "Slightly louder than stock" exhaust, then this is the one for you. The gain was good and I liked the sound but I wasn't satisfied. I felt there might be just a little more power I could unleash so I tried a higher flow muffler; a magna-flow. I started off by having a custom Y-pipe made. It has 2-1/4" primaries that y's into a 3" single exhaust. The pipes run back a little ways and goes into a 3" magnaflow cat, then into a 2-1/2" magnaflow muffler, and dumps right before the rear axle. The flow is there but the sound.....I hate it.

I also added JBA stainless headers. I have to say that headers are very expensive for the 4.0 SOHC but there is gain, trust me. If your looking for EVERYTHING you can from the engine, add headers to it later on down the road.

Next is under-drive pulleys....This is one of the better mods in my opinion. The under-drive crank pulley works by slowing down the serpentine belt, which in return, slows down all the accessories running off the belt. The result is more power to your back tires. The only problem I had was it slows the alternator down too much. The fix is an overdrive alt pulley and I added one to speed the alt back up. Problem solved. I'm also running a underdrive water pump pulley with no problems what so ever.

Another good mod is a electric fan. I went with the flex-a-lite 180 and haven't had a problem yet. Very good quality pc.

The best mod, in my opinion, is a tuner. I went with a SCT XCAL II that I picked up from hensonperformance. I think this changed my truck the most and I'm very pleased.

I believe this about sums it up. Every pc of info I just typed here is on the net, and most is right here in this forum, but I wanted to compile some of it for reference purposes....

I made a goal at the begining of this thread, but I'm really not interested anymore. It doesn't make a hill of beans to have high dyno numbers, but it is nice. The only dyno I had sucked; I made 189 to the rear wheels. I'm thinking I'm a bit higher than that but I'm not worried about it.

Next project......TURBO!! and I'll probably do a baseline for this. If so, I'll add the baseline dyno here so there will be N/A results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The D debate was interesting last night, what little that I watched. They asked which of the candidates had come in private jets or chartered planes, and all but a couple raised there hands. Life goes on, Al Gore isn't going to stop the world from living while he goes on with his wasteful lifestyle.

Jake, do the flexible joint, that shouldn't add to potential debris in the exhaust. Night all,

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

How in the heck can you suck a pc of stainless steel braded hose with a turbo? Sorry, I don't see this happening. but, you guys are the wizards, I'll have to trust you.

I'm not about to change my set-up, I was just giving advice to anyone designing theres right now. I'm pretty happy with mine, and the vibration I'm feeling might just be the 200+ ponies trying to get out the back? hehe

Hey - I purchased some aluminium AC knobs and a white faced AC panel. Should be good for a few "in the head" hp. ;)

How in the heck can you suck a pc of stainless steel braded hose with a turbo? Sorry, I don't see this happening. but, you guys are the wizards, I'll have to trust you.

I'm not about to change my set-up, I was just giving advice to anyone designing theres right now. I'm pretty happy with mine, and the vibration I'm feeling might just be the 200+ ponies trying to get out the back? hehe

Hey - I purchased some aluminium AC knobs and a white faced AC panel. Should be good for a few "in the head" hp. ;)

I could see it happening, if the flex joint was fatigued.
If you have ever worked with braided lines-you know those little fragments find there way into everything.

I could see it happening, if the flex joint was fatigued.
If you have ever worked with braided lines-you know those little fragments find there way into everything.

Bingo.

Don't get the wrong impression Jakee, it is still used quite normally with turbos but I just am hesitant with them still due to my experience with other types of steel braided lines fatiguing over time. A coupler like that should last for a long time to come in a N/A or a turbo application but there is more of a chance for something to dislodge and contact the turbine. It is the same reason why some turbo people are hesitant to run cats too. Now we all know that there are many many people running around with cats and turbos as well. It just serves as another thing to ensure that is in good condition so as not to mess the turbo up. In a relatively newer vehicle the cats should not fall apart for some time. With the cats and the flex coupler it comes down to age of the part and occasional visual inspections.

My thoughts are that the stocker exhaust systems on cars do not use this flex coupler so it is not necessary with the aftermarket in many applications too.

There are those couplers that are steel braid inside and out and then other with an interlock liner on the inside. I reccomend that if a person did go with one of these for a turbo system that they do the interlock liner one and not the regular steel braided inside and out.

Well said, keep it all in top condition. Think of all the times when someone runs over something which hits the cats underneath. That's where those pick up the rattles... give me a hammer, I can fix your truck, LOL.

I guess with seeing the stainless steel flex coupler on my Mercury Malan, and seeing the picture after picture of a flex coupler with a turbo sitting after it, I'm just a little puzzled.

I can see why someone would be hesitant from this. After all, if the chances are that high, I wouldn't want to sacrifice a turbo to stop a little vibration. It may just be in my head anyways.

Darn it, can't I ever be right! And the thing on an automatic that engages the starter is called a FLYWHEEL darn it! :)

And the thing on an automatic that engages the starter is called a FLYWHEEL darn it! :)

In Jakee's world it is. ;)

In my world I am always right, contrary to what my wife may think. :D

Now we know how to kill a remote turbo'ed car, just climb under it and hammer the cats.

You are 100% absolutely right! Either that or no cats at all. :D However, I prefer to let my grandchildren have breathable air so I will stick with cats on my DD turbo vehicle. ;)

Horse sh**! Yeah but the real question is how many do you have on your Ex? LOL>>>>> You still killing trees. HA!

I know that it isn't politically correct, but long ago in the 80's, I read and heard that converters were not that beneficial to the environment. The chemicals which are produced by converters(instead of the popular emissions chemicals) are believed to be almost as bad. That's another debate like global warming. The chemicals which are used in the converters are not cheap or good for the environment either.

It's a lot like comparing the Toyota Prius to normal vehicles. It has already been shown that the Prius is a very bad vehicle for the environment. Its cost of production and damage to the environment to produce is worse than a Hummer. But that doesn't mean that the idea is unsound. The answer is to develop the technology into something positive.

The catalytic converter has been accepted since the 70's, and it's likely to remain unchanged(undeveloped) for a long time to come. Back on topic, please forgive my short rant.

I agree I dislike cats too. They slowed my spooling down!
I hate Toyota's. Just knowing they are slow is bad for my mental well being. I saw a Prius the other day with 57mpg on the rear tag with a guy driving it. I thought to myself (while in my truck) his wife is probably being boned by someone who owns a performance shop. HAHAHA!

The total cost of a Prius is higher than a Hummer.

Horse sh**! Yeah but the real question is how many do you have on your Ex? LOL>>>>> You still killing trees. HA!

Take a look underneath my X. You will see two cats there. :D :D :D

I hate Toyota's. Just knowing they are slow is bad for my mental well being. I saw a Prius the other day with 57mpg on the rear tag with a guy driving it. I thought to myself (while in my truck) his wife is probably being boned by someone who owns a performance shop. HAHAHA!

Does anyone remember the Southpark Smug Hybrids episode? Yeah, a fella with 57mpg on his tag is one of those types from that episode.

"his wife is probably being boned by someone who owns a performance shop"

Anything to tell us about James? errr I mean jaaaahhh... ;)

I plead the 5th. I am innocent.

LOL! thats probaily true. My buddy dated a girl a while back (6 years ago) for about 2 weeks and she dumped his ass like nothing else. I started dating her about 2weeks later (she was HOT!) and she ended up telling me that she dumped him because even though he drove a cool car (99 mustang gt). He drove it like a pansey and she told me that, that reflects how a guy lives his life and even how he preforms in bed like 90% of the time. needless to say she stayed with me for 8months tell i started dating her friend (she was hotter!)

Take a look underneath my X. You will see two cats there. :D :D :D

Let me finish this sentence for you- you see two cats under there missing. LOL! Hell I don't know I am just giving you a hard time. Whoops I just told on my self. I own a polluter. One good thing about it is that it is fast so theoretically it pollutes for a less amount of time. Just get where you are going quickly.

Let me finish this sentence for you- you see two cats under there missing. LOL! Hell I don't know I am just giving you a hard time. Whoops I just told on my self. I own a polluter. One good thing about it is that it is fast so theoretically it pollutes for a less amount of time. Just get where you are going quickly.

The only vechile i left them on is my mounty mainly just cause its my daily driver and i was going for gas milage too. also i usally pull the smog pump off and the egr too LoL

Let me finish this sentence for you- you see two cats under there missing. LOL!

No, you will see the cats under my truck when you look. The more important question to ask is if they actually contain anything. :D Gotta be specific. ;)

Back