Are 98 Limited Sreering wheel controls buttons lit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are 98 Limited Sreering wheel controls buttons lit?

LoquetusofBorg

"Resistance is Futile"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eureka, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport-Limited
Does anyone know if the steering wheel control buttons on a 98-2001 limited supposed to light up?

Don't know but I'll go with IF they look like the ones on the XLT then yes. I don't see why they would omit that on a higher trim level. I had one of the bulbs in mine go out a few years back, soldered in an LED and resistor to fix it, though today there are LED bulb replacements that don't require hacking your own. Don't recall if there was one of those little green rubber condoms over it to tint the color or not.

Pop the cover off and see if there are bulbs in there. I get paranoid working around airbags, think you're supposed to first disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or something.

Yeah, working around air bags suck and yes, if you have to get back behind the bag, you do have to disconnect for at least 5 minutes or disconnect both battery terminals and then touch together the red and black battery cable ends and discharge it immediately. You can get those out without all that also, I have on 2 occasions taken the button sets out without disconnecting anything. The ones in there now I had replaced because they were nicer looking then the previous pair. But because I swapped out the original sport column with my new Limited column, I honestly don't remember if they lit up. You are correct about taking them apart as I still have the other set and will do that to see if there are any bulbs, Why I didn't think of that before posting I'll never know. Thank you
Robert

Back