Upgrading the Upgraded Stock Sound System? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading the Upgraded Stock Sound System?

Jacob Linder

"Roadhouse" - Peter Griffin
Reaction score
City, State
Chickamauga, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer EB 4x4
Good Afternoon all!

Couple of things, 1st. My sound system is still by far tops for any upgraded stock sound system I've ever had.
2nd. I've already upgraded my head unit (piece of cake).

My issue is this. I've been looking and looking, and I cannot find what's behind my doors. Are they component? Coaxial? the grates themselves look component driven but I'm not going to rip off my door panel just to look. I also know that I have an 8" sub and I cannot find where the amp is stored. Crutchfield isn't a lot of help when it comes to the 4th gens. Just a few thoughts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to doing this write up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good Afternoon all!

Couple of things, 1st. My sound system is still by far tops for any upgraded stock sound system I've ever had.
2nd. I've already upgraded my head unit (piece of cake).

My issue is this. I've been looking and looking, and I cannot find what's behind my doors. Are they component? Coaxial? the grates themselves look component driven but I'm not going to rip off my door panel just to look. I also know that I have an 8" sub and I cannot find where the amp is stored. Crutchfield isn't a lot of help when it comes to the 4th gens. Just a few thoughts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to doing this write up!
the door speakers are component in one "crappy" plastic case.
the sub amp is attached to the sub box on the side near the rear door.

what i did to my EB was new pioneer 6x8 3 way in each door, powered by the Sony XAV701HD head unit.
the sub i replaced the 8" with an upgraded speaker and took out the stock amp and upgraded it also.

all of these components were in my 03 EB and when it died, all was transferred to my 09 EB with help from crutchfield.
The 09 has the sync system with steering controls. Crutchfield hooked me up with a controller that was plug and play
from the head unit to the truck.

Yeah I already upgraded the head unit with steering wheel controls. Was really easy, and straight forward. I'm looking to stay component , but upgrade the amp as well. What kind of amp is it ?

Yeah I already upgraded the head unit with steering wheel controls. Was really easy, and straight forward. I'm looking to stay component , but upgrade the amp as well. What kind of amp is it ?
the amp is a Rockford Fosgate prime r250x1. its a mono sub amp with a wired remote level controller.

Definitely gonna need an upgrade then. Probably will run the single 500w to the sub and probably 1000 to the speakers

Definitely gonna need an upgrade then. Probably will run the single 500w to the sub and probably 1000 to the speakers
the difference will be worth the price, your ears will thanks you!!!

@roe , What's the sub dimensions for the box as well as the amp size specs? I cannot seem to find these specs

I would be nice to know which model of subwoofer works well in the factory box

I would be nice to know which model of subwoofer works well in the factory box
That's pretty much what I'm trying to find out . I found a really nice JL 8" that's about 4 inches in depth. But I want to make sure everything is going to fit

here are sub and amp i got from crutchfield
the sub is a shallow mount and the sub amp has a wired remote for level control.
an easy install, but be ware that the stock sub has a center mount on the back of the sub enclosure, that one got me!!!
Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F
Rockford Fosgate Prime R250X1

here are sub and amp i got from crutchfield
the sub is a shallow mount and the sub amp has a wired remote for level control.
an easy install, but be ware that the stock sub has a center mount on the back of the sub enclosure, that one got me!!!
Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F
Rockford Fosgate Prime R250X1
am I going to have to create my own mounts? what kind of cutting am I looking at?

what are

what are you mounting?

I found a JL 8" sub that's 3 and 7/8th in depth. Really I'm making sure it's going to fit without fail. The Kenwood is only 2 and 3/4th I think I'm going to go with the same amp as you though

I found a JL 8" sub that's 3 and 7/8th in depth. Really I'm making sure it's going to fit without fail. The Kenwood is only 2 and 3/4th I think I'm going to go with the same amp as you though
the amp is great, very clean. i am a blues and southern rock guy so a big thump was not to my liking!
he sub i used had about 3/8"of space in the factory enclosure.......

Back