GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
IMG_0983.JPG
hey guys I don't know what this part is called.
But I got it beat up and I need it replaced how do I take it off and what's it called

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am unsure... but open the hatch glass, and you'll see rivets. You can see one right in the middle of your circles. You'll need to remove those. Open the hatch, and look at the ends of that trim piece. I think there is some sort of attachment on both ends.

There might be something else for removal, but I can't recall right now. I think I pulled one in the junkyard to replace my hail dinged one.

I am unsure... but open the hatch glass, and you'll see rivets. You can see one right in the middle of your circles. You'll need to remove those. Open the hatch, and look at the ends of that trim piece. I think there is some sort of attachment on both ends.

There might be something else for removal, but I can't recall right now. I think I pulled one in the junkyard to replace my hail dinged one.
Mines all dinged up, I might just go and get one at pick and pull, by might I mean I will

Well, keep in mind if you do drill the rivets, some tend to spin with the drill bit. Kinda sucks when you are in the junkyard and trying to figure out what to do.

When I have tried to remove that upper hatch trim piece in the junkyard, I attempted to pound out the center rivet pin. Since the pieces are lightweight metal or aluminum, pounding on the rivet tended to bend back the trim piece.

Just a heads up...

I drilled them. Drill bit size might be 9/16, but you might have to experiment on your current ones, or experiment in the junkyard, to find the size that will work for you.

I drilled them. Drill bit size might be 9/16, but you might have to experiment on your current ones, or experiment in the junkyard, to find the size that will work for you.
Like drill them, like with what kinda bit, drill bit or like screwdriver bit or what, like you literally mean drill them out? What do I do to replace them?

Standard drill bit. I brought my cordless drill into the junkyard and drilled them out. I would recommend using a new bit, once you figure out the correct size. I think using a dull bit would just eventually cause the rivet to spin when attempting to drill it out.

You could rivet them back into place, like I did with some other trim in this post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...d-rear-side-door-aluminum-window-trim.413898/

You pry could screw them back on, I guess.

Back