supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 113 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to throw the Turbo word in again. I think you are going down a rough road while stressing the front of your 2 bolt main block.

Just my .02. Going back under my blanky now.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i have a feeling the 2 bolt main block will end up being a 2 bolt slant 4 cylinder. even more so if i get my hands on a m122 and make the intake i want to. the turbo thing has crossed my mind a few times. looking at the headache that don had making everything work in his truck shies me away a little bit. he did tons of research to. for a dummy like me, a supercharger is the only way to add speed.....plus the sound of a screaming supercharger at full throttle puts a smile on anyone's face lol. its also easier to hid when a punk in a vet rolls up along side you. i can hear dons turbo under no load a block from my house lol.
i have talked to ron at damper dudes on the phone and emails. once again he has said he can repair the one i have, but he is also going to see what he can do for a performance one as well. i boxed it up tonight with the smaller pulley (he wanted one to make sure everything fits i guess) and have sent it on its way. i am also still thinking of pulling the motor and popping a few mains off just to make sure the bearings are still ok. that and i can fix my leaking pan that drives me nuts.
all this and having to work on the kids truck (put a stereo in it last night for him, now the cats are clogged, has zero power and cant rev in neutral past 2500 even) as well as i am going to do a rear diff swap because it has a pinion bearing going bad.

I was thinking of staying with the stock sized crank pulley so that the rest of the accessories don't get over sped too. I'm also fairly certain that at 6,000 rpms the blower is turning it's maximum rated rpms, if not more than that already (it has been a while since I ran the math on it).

I hope those "clogged cats" aren't a jumped timing chain. We recently had that on a 2012 F150 with the new 3.7L V6 at work.

This is a REALLY nice truck! Great job on everything. I am constantly changing mine up too. One of the things on my short list is a blower, not the Eaton but a Procharger or Paxton setup. Keep up the good work.

This is a REALLY nice truck! Great job on everything. I am constantly changing mine up too. One of the things on my short list is a blower, not the Eaton but a Procharger or Paxton setup. Keep up the good work.

thanks eh!

so i got a email from ron at damper dudes

I received your balancer.... looking at it revels it is the same dimensions as the explorer balancer ....that would be the easiest fix as they are available in street performance and SFI race applications. not having any luck to find a bolt on pulley balancer such as yours to accept the reluctor wheel ( hubs don't extend back far enough) to install a wheel on....

gave him a call. long story short, i told him to repair mine and send it back up, then have a hard look for what can be done for a performance one. if it ends up being a *****, i will have to bite the bullet and tell him to make me a larger diameter pulley'd explorer one (even thought i would like to stick to one i can change pulleys).
i also asked him how much the old one slipped.....ready for it?
180 degrees....ouch. surprised it even ran.

Thanks for the details on the balancer, hopefully that source will be able to put one together for you long term. I hope your engine is fine too.

I wonder what balance the Aussie 347's are that they run in their cars, 28oz or 50oz? Plus I wonder what a ring of steel would weigh to weld to the back of an SFI balancer, to mount a trigger wheel. Most of the pictures of various brands show a weight right where the trigger wheel needs to go, that's hard to attach to.

Maybe the counter balance just kept spinning.
That would explain why the shake seemed to get better for a bit.

lol

Maybe the counter balance just kept spinning.
That would explain why the shake seemed to get better for a bit.

lol

its funny, but i think you have a valid point! lol

balancer came back today. ran right to the post office....and paid the duty on a part i already own....what a scam.
so bolted it on, put everything back together, and it now started leaking antifreeze. don's luck with his truck flashed through my mind. turned out i didnt have one bolt going to the t stat housing tight enough. started it up (which im sure the neighbours wished spring wasnt here). felt a little shake. dont think i can do anything with that if 5 and 8 are acting funny at idle. wished i knew if there was a fix for that to. so i took it for its first wash since october. night and day difference. my fillings dont rattle out of my head driving it now! YAY! i do however have a high idle issue. i think either a line came off when i changed the mounts, or a broke a brass fitting. will get my hands on buddys smoker again and smoke the motor. that will happen hopefully saturday. because tomorrow this lucky guy gets to change the rear axle on the kids sport....

Great news!
And... whenever Lasota is done, we get to play.
Your going to me start leaning out the idle and see if it helps.

I think cammed motors don't read accurately at the 02's idling at low air speed. Let's try it.

My motor seemed to be responding pretty good to it, and it was slowly removing that terrible smell from the exhaust at idle.

Don, I don't think cammed motors read accurately at idle either. When mine idles, the wideband fluctuates all over (between 13.5 and 15).

Thanks Andrew. This helps.
I'll be interested to lean out Evil's idle. Both our trucks really kinda stink when idling. The smell seemed to get less as I leaned idle rpm, extremely low load on mine. I'll try pulling 3% to start with and we will see how evil responds. Since my trucks still broken, at least I'll be able to play around with Evil's tune and learn what works (and what doesn't).
There are some things that just require playing around with to get the over all manners civilized.

My motor seemed to be responding pretty good to it, and it was slowly removing that terrible smell from the exhaust at idle.
Psst, that's the cats, without them it can't make that rotten smell.

Good to hear Tim, hopefully that one will stay together for years.

Cats? what cats? we can't see any cats. Just a rich idle.
Evil hates idling, He hunts for an idle as soon as you bring idle down to an area that he doesn't like.
Put the truck when in gear and he pulls on a non-hunting idle, to low and he hunts for an idle. My truck doesn't like to start unless its within a couple of percent of its own 'ideal' startup enrichment. very frustrating. Both have their own personality. I thought an expert like Don Lasota would have some magic dust here, but there isn't any. Its trial and error. were trying to make our modified motors behave like a perfect factory fresh vehicle, and its a challenge.

Hopefully we have a better year this summer with this stuff.

We disable it for tuning, then turn it back on when we have the part throttle, closed loop stuff dialed in using the front o2 sensors.
With adaptive learning turned on, the long term fuel trims (LTFT) start adjusting, and that's really the adaptive learning.

you'll have some stuff to touch on for me don. remember when i was telling you sometimes it would buck? well....
also smoked the motor today. found leaks around the throttle body gasket, which is kinda odd because when ever i take the intake tube off, i never touch anything on the throttle body at all. i pulled the intake tube off and re smoked the motor. could see anything (but that has happen in the past when i couldnt see anything and there was a leak). made some new gaskets for the intake tube on both ends, and smoked the motor again. this time nothing came out. took it for a small ride tonight. idle is still a little high but better.
also did the diff in the kids truck last night. was talking to gmanpaint about how to go about the brake system on it. he did recommend taking the hard line off where it and the rubber line meet. sorry greg, but i went against your advise. but it did work out pretty good however. diff swap in 4 hours. that wasnt busting ass, and that was also showing the kid on how to do this and that. finished that up, and took it for a drive. all good.
as we were driving his truck i turn to him and say "see! no more bearing noise!:
him "honestly, it never really bothered me"
me ".........."
kids

Lol. yea, at least he's interested. he also now knows what that noise is.
Great to hear the smoke test helped find leaks. doesn't matter why they were there, just that you found them and fixed em.

We will work at the problem areas that are going to take some trial and error. some of it will just mean copying stuff from tuning that we had done together over to your new tune. Don Lasota is very good at what he does, and its great to hear that some adjustments are not easy to nail down.

Lets hope we can lower the idle and not end up with hat crazy hunting idle we couldn't resolve before.

its the long weekend here, as well as it has been super nice out now. i've had a high idle issue for a while with evil (like 1400-1500 rpm high). thought it might be in the tune. lasota sent a file but it didnt work. i also had a problem with the injectors shutting off while cruising, he did for the most fix that, said that i had to remember, with basically a racing engine being driven on the street, i am going to find some glitches. dono swapped the trans tune over for me as well. but this high idle thing drove me nuts. it wasnt real drivable. i mentioned it to dono as well. i brought up that the throttle plate looked a little too open to me. dono suggested trying to back it off. i was worried about it messing with the tune because it will also affect the voltage on the tps. his easy solution, adjust the tps after i adjust the plate... duh, brain fart on my part. so i was outside until about 10 or so with flashlight in hand trying to get it just right. got it, and even somehow found .2 volts at WOT. i didnt want to start it because it was late, and i like my neighbours and i want to keep them liking me lol. came home friday, went to start it...wont start. wonderful. i spent the next four hours checking fuses, probing this that that because i had no power going in or coming out of the tps. the problem? the 5v ref wire going into the connector somehow broke inside but the cover didnt. i was happy and pissed off at the same time.
pulled a connector of one of my parts trucks, soldered it in, good to go. or once again, so i thought. set the volts to .98 closed, but when i would go WOT, and let it go, it would rest at 1.2 volts. because i messed with the tps to get adjustment from it, it was binding on my throttle body (accufab which takes a 96-97 explorer tps no problem, but 98 and up, you have to do a little tinkering. surprise.).

so i made up a little spacer to go between the throttle body, and tps.

18601570_10154451810062513_517980902_n.jpg

dont mind my red neck paint bake booth.
idle is now back to pretty much where it should be. took it for a drive tonight down the highway for about a hour. bad new, she does still have a good vibration to it. so when i get a chance because i have been pretty busy lately, i think i am going to pull the motor and have it re balanced. i am also going to ask how hard it would be to zero balance it, that way i wont ever have to worry about the weight ever spinning like it did before on the balancer.

That's making progress, keep working with it, you'll get it right. I don't know what to say for the vibration, if it is the balance that would mean something is way off(wrong flexplate(50oz)) etc, and I doubt that could be the answer. I'd go at the engine only if nothing still can be figured out(I know you are basically there now).

Thanks for the TPS tip, I didn't know the 96/97 was any different than the 98-01 part.

Back