Whoop/Slide Whistle/Police Siren Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whoop/Slide Whistle/Police Siren Noise

dinah_kay

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XTL
I am taking my 2014 XLT into the shop for a whooping noise coming from the rear driver side area (interior third row cupholder area) It sounds as though a police siren is going off in my car "whooooop" or a slide whiste type noise. It varies in the loudness and is extremely intermittent. It would typically occur once a month and typically only at highway speeds. It was extremely windy here a couple of days ago and I heard the noise five times in a twenty minute drive, and different speeds including under 10mph. The noise is only inside the car since I asked a neighborh who was outside when it happen, and they did not hear it at all. I didn't even realize it was probably the windy conditions that created the issue to pop up until the next day when there was no wind to try and recreate the issue for a video.

I have mentioned it to the dealer before, but can not replicate it when they look at the car. I am taking it in again since my 36,000 warranty is about to expire. I have googled and found a video that shows the repair (https://youtu.be/0h7Fmjw9ghQ ) but I can not make a video of the actual sound in my car since I can not predict when it will happen. Does anyone else have an explorer that does this, and if so do you happen to have a video clip of the noise? I am concerned the service department won't believe me, and I would prefer to avoid having a estimated $800 repair on my dime.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am taking my 2014 XLT into the shop for a whooping noise coming from the rear driver side area (interior third row cupholder area) It sounds as though a police siren is going off in my car "whooooop" or a slide whiste type noise. It varies in the loudness and is extremely intermittent. It would typically occur once a month and typically only at highway speeds. It was extremely windy here a couple of days ago and I heard the noise five times in a twenty minute drive, and different speeds including under 10mph. The noise is only inside the car since I asked a neighborh who was outside when it happen, and they did not hear it at all. I didn't even realize it was probably the windy conditions that created the issue to pop up until the next day when there was no wind to try and recreate the issue for a video.

I have mentioned it to the dealer before, but can not replicate it when they look at the car. I am taking it in again since my 36,000 warranty is about to expire. I have googled and found a video that shows the repair (https://youtu.be/0h7Fmjw9ghQ ) but I can not make a video of the actual sound in my car since I can not predict when it will happen. Does anyone else have an explorer that does this, and if so do you happen to have a video clip of the noise? I am concerned the service department won't believe me, and I would prefer to avoid having a estimated $800 repair on my dime.

Thanks!
I'm going to take a wild guess that since you are taking it into the shop that it is no longer "On Order" as indicated in your profile.:D
I hope the dealer is able to find and fix the issue. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Peter

Could it have been music on the stereo?

Could it have been music on the stereo?

Ha Ha- No music is off.

Really irritating. Actually sounds like the police are behind me with sirens anywhere from 2 seconds to 10 seconds long

Have you checked if there is anything blocking air vents in the back? maybe a whistle?

Hi,
New to the forum

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport. Last summer and this summer (mainly while AC is on) the wierd noise of Whoop, Whoop or Slide Whistle or Police Sirens emitts from the rear of the vehicle.

Things I know
1) Makes noise intermittently during driving at all speeds.
2) Cant reproduce sound for dealer
3) Make noise mainly while ac is on
4) Will make noise while idling in park
5) Noise comes from rear of vehicle, unknowing of a certain side left or right
6) Only 2 posts I can find that somewhat describes this noise on the internet, niether apply

Any help or experiences would be appreciated, otherwise a great vehicle

Thanks,

pepper riek
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). Any chance you can get a recording of it for the dealer?

Peter

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport. Last summer and this summer (mainly while AC is on) the wierd noise of Whoop, Whoop or Slide Whistle or Police Sirens emits from the rear of the vehicle.

Things I know
6) Only 2 posts I can find that somewhat describes this noise on the internet, niether apply

Thanks,

peek

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport. Last summer and this summer (mainly while AC is on) the wierd noise of Whoop, Whoop or Slide Whistle or Police Sirens emits from the rear of the vehicle.

Things I know

Thanks,

peek

Yes mine does it too. 2016 Explorer Sport. First time it happened I almost had a heart attack thinking I was about to be pulled over. It's just a quick whoop sound. Just started this summer when I started using my AC

Hi Folks. SUPER FRUSTRATED by the whooping / hi pitched tone coming from the rear of my
2016 Explorer Platinum. This has happened since I got it in June of 2016. It happens after the vehicle has
been running for an extended period and then shut off. If you use the vehicle again with 10 minutes or so,
there is a high pitched tone noise from the rear.This always happens when you accelerate. I also have had the whoop whoop noise where you could swear there is a cop pulling you over. I have had in the shop at Ford multiple times and all I get is that they cannot recreate the noise. This is so frustrating. I have played recordings of this to the dealer with no luck.
Can anyone help ??
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Munkychum and Bryan.:wave:
According to the video link in the initial post, the noise is caused by the rear HVAC system. I have not seen any posts here from members that said they had it fixed. Keep in mind that the vehicle shown is not a 5th generation Explorer.

Peter

I believe I am having the same issue. Dealer has not been able to locate the source of the sound.

I believe I am having the same issue. Dealer has not been able to locate the source of the sound.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As mentioned above, the video linked in post #1 shows the issue.

Peter

Has anyone fixed this issue? So frustrated about the siren noise............. Angry

Although no one with a 5th gen Explorer has reported the fix it seems that the owner of the Explorer shown in the video, post #1, has fixed his. I'm guessing it is the same issue members here are experiencing.

Peter

My issue was fixed last week by the dealer and it was the AC expansion value in the back drivers side of the explorer.

I have mentioned it to the dealer before, but can not replicate it when they look at the car. I am taking it in again since my 36,000 warranty is about to expire. I have googled and found a video that shows the repair ( ) but I can not make a video of the actual sound in my car since I can not predict when it will happen. Does anyone else have an explorer that does this, and if so do you happen to have a video clip of the noise? I am concerned the service department won't believe me, and I would prefer to avoid having a estimated $800 repair on my dime.

Thanks!

2017 started doing the same thing. Bought it new in November 2017. Started making same noise since we started using air conditioner a couple of months ago. Have a call into the dealer will post what I find out.

I thought I would chime in and say thank you to those who have posted saying they have the same issue. Sadly my explorer is still doing the slide whistle/whoop noise, and while it has become much more frequent it still isn’t something I can recreate at the dealer. Now my explorer is out of the extended warranty so I am doing my best to ignore it. Hopefully if it does get worse the repair won’t be too costly.

I thought I would chime in and say thank you to those who have posted saying they have the same issue. Sadly my explorer is still doing the slide whistle/whoop noise, and while it has become much more frequent it still isn’t something I can recreate at the dealer. Now my explorer is out of the extended warranty so I am doing my best to ignore it. Hopefully if it does get worse the repair won’t be too costly.
Have you attempted the repair linked in your original post?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if one of your friends/coworkers is messing with you and installed one of Bubb Rubb's famous whistle tips in your exhaust...

Back