• Register Today It's free!

Is a New GEM the Fix? 2002 V8

Willybobo

Reaction score
City, State
Lima, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6 Limited
The first major issue occurred after a rain in which my entire center console was filled with water about 2/3 of the way (windshield is cracked).

Shortly after that I had a few electrical issues. The airbag light won't turn off, the rear wiper blade won't work, the front wipers move VERY slow(now they work fine since I have has it garaged up aka DRY. My heated mirrors are not working. Also neither of my heated seats are working and I can confirmed they worked when I bought the truck and I have not had any use for them until now. The cruise control actually stopped working for about a week or so and then it started to work again(when the rain subsided). Also the Explorer's alarm goes off every time I unlock the truck with the key. I do not have a key fob I lost it when I first bought the truck.

The major issue happened after it rained and got really cold. The girlfriend was driving around the corner on a very cold morning and the truck would not go in D or R. We were only able to get it home in 1, 2, 3 manually.

After the truck sat behind my house for two months I was going to tow it to a transmission shop and I pulled it out using my other Explorer. Well after I pulled the Explorer out(it was idling for about 25 minutes)., it started to drive and reverse! Put it on the highway and everything. It has only happened once more but the truck has been driving perfectly since.(a month)

Did the water on the GEM affect the transmission from moving in D or R? Also will replacing the GEM fix any of these other issues? I love this truck but these mini-issues are really a pain in my ass. I an not mechanically inclined at ALL but I am smart and can follow good directions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also during the time when the Explorer first started to experience these issues. The 4X4 High and Low light were flashing like crazy the entire time I drove the truck.. I tried playing with the instrument panel to get it to engage in just "auto" but to no avail. I did swap the 4X4 Control Module that is behind the glovebox and that fixed that issue IMMEDIATELY and allowed me to shift between Auto, High, and Low. I am not sure if the water has done some damage to the GEM that a new one would just fix.

Also I would like to add that I removed the passenger rear quarter panel and retrieved the door code for the Explorer. The door code is NOT working either. The thing lights up green but does not unlock the door. Here is a photo of the Central Security Module. I have done this for my other Explorer and the door code worked perfectly. Has there just been too much damage to the GEM via water?

IMG_7859.jpeg

Any brave opinions on this matter? My Explorer has been driving exceptionally (1/24/18)

UPDATE:(1/26/18) So I was delivering pizza tonight and my Explorer experienced the same issues with the transmission. It would not move in D or R. I continued to deliver pizzas in the truck for about 2 more hours in third gear manually(on the gearshift). Some of the roads were country roads to I stayed around 50 miles an hour, however the truck was revving at 3-4K during these instances. Then the tragedy happened.

I pulled into a customers driveway and the Explorer starting smoking like CRAZY. My thermometer looked normal but I shut it off immediately. The guys house who I delivered to was a Diesel tech and looked at it and said that he thinks it’s my intake gasket. There was coolant everywhere. But my truck did not overheat I don’t think or my thermometer would have spiked which it never did? I want to get this fixed obviously.

But none of that matters if this tranny doesn’t act right. I was cheap because of funds until this weekend, when I planned to replace the entire windshield. Now I am afraid to fix anything!

This week in my area it precipitated quite a bit, I covered the windshield with tarp and tried to get a nice seal on the top part of the truck as well. Nonetheless, it was still snowing/sleeting and there was moisture. Here's one more interesting thing: my heated seats were not working at all like I mentioned, but today before all of this, I was testing the driver one and it warmed it! But then then the transmission started acting funny and now allegedly this intake gasket?

I attached a video of what I took when the coolant sprayed everywhere. I am sorry for the plethora of details but I want to provide as many details so whoever takes the time can diagnose and not have to waste their time asking me all these questions.

Thank you in advance for anyone!

The overheating/coolant leak problem has nothing to do with water leaking in through the windshield.

The transmission problem (other than *maybe* 4wd control/switching) had nothing to do with the leak, either.

Suggest you start two new threads, one addressed to each issue. There is a separate forum here for repair/troubleshooting of transmission problems. Suggest that you include engine mileage and any service history you know in those posts. Good luck.

BTW, while I have the 4.0L SOHC (not a v-8 4.6L SOHC 2-valve like you), some brief internet sleuthing causes me to suspect you have a leak in the plastic crossover pipe in the intake plenum (aka "manifold") of your '02 Exploder, which was corrected in 2003 with an upgraded part. You should probably find a 2003-2005 junk yard intake and replace it. Hopefully you did not overheat and warp the heads (since your guage did not spike). The high rpms and resulting from the bad transmission probably just put extra flow/pressure through and already failing plastic crossover pipe. See below:

Coolant Leak (intake manifold) – Some vehicles may exhibit an Intake Manifold crossover (first runner) coolant seepage condition. This may be caused by a crack in the intake manifold coolant crossover.

Effects the:

• 1996-1997 Ford Thunderbird

• 1996-2001 Lincoln Town Car & Grand Marquis

• 1996-2001 Ford Crown Victoria & Mustang

• 2002 Ford Explorer
There is a replacement intake available that uses an aluminum coolant crossover instead of plastic.

4_6_intakes.jpg

The photo above shows a stock 4.6L intake (top) and the improved replacement with the aluminum coolant crossover (bottom).

Looking at that short video taken at a distance, I couldn't even see the leak. But it looks like you have an aftermarket Dorman intake manifold -- if so, they are notorious for having a common problem. On the passenger side rear of it is a rubber cap held on by a spring type clamp. Those caps wear out quickly and would produce a coolant leak. If you do a search on here for Dorman Intake Manifold, you'll see a few discussions of it and how to fix it. And even if it's not causing a problem now, you should replace it anyway. And that is assuming I see it correctly on that video,.

BTW, while I have the 4.0L SOHC (not a v-8 4.6L SOHC 2-valve like you), some brief internet sleuthing causes me to suspect you have a leak in the plastic crossover pipe in the intake plenum (aka "manifold") of your '02 Exploder, which was corrected in 2003 with an upgraded part. You should probably find a 2003-2005 junk yard intake and replace it. Hopefully you did not overheat and warp the heads (since your guage did not spike). The high rpms and resulting from the bad transmission probably just put extra flow/pressure through and already failing plastic crossover pipe. See below:

Coolant Leak (intake manifold) – Some vehicles may exhibit an Intake Manifold crossover (first runner) coolant seepage condition. This may be caused by a crack in the intake manifold coolant crossover.

Effects the:

• 1996-1997 Ford Thunderbird

• 1996-2001 Lincoln Town Car & Grand Marquis

• 1996-2001 Ford Crown Victoria & Mustang

• 2002 Ford Explorer
There is a replacement intake available that uses an aluminum coolant crossover instead of plastic.

4_6_intakes.jpg

The photo above shows a stock 4.6L intake (top) and the improved replacement with the aluminum coolant crossover (bottom).

Looking at that short video taken at a distance, I couldn't even see the leak. But it looks like you have an aftermarket Dorman intake manifold -- if so, they are notorious for having a common problem. On the passenger side rear of it is a rubber cap held on by a spring type clamp. Those caps wear out quickly and would produce a coolant leak. If you do a search on here for Dorman Intake Manifold, you'll see a few discussions of it and how to fix it. And even if it's not causing a problem now, you should replace it anyway. And that is assuming I see it correctly on that video,.

Thank's both of you for your responses. I am getting that intake manifold looked at as of right now! Do any of you have any takes on my transmission/electrical issues? I know that Drew said that the water going through my windshield would not cause my transmission issues but that raises a few more questions. It definitely doesn't tell me the transmission is bad and but something clearly isn't right. A buddy of mine told me that the GEM or anything with the CPU can affect these transmissions since they are electronically controlled to an extent. Also he said he replaced his gem because of weird electrical issues and his transmission would randomly shift into Neutral and stay there.. If the tranny was mechanically bad why does it still drive in manual third? That would still engage gear 1-3? Like I said many questions but I love my explorer so I just want some answers.

Are there any shops that specialize in electrical issues in cars? I just want my Explorer running good :( I bought it from a former member from this site and he has been nothing but helpful but its out of his hands now. Not gonna give up!

UPDATE:

We checked to see where the fluid was coming from and it was spewing out of the Coolant bypass cap. The old one was cracked and was spewing like a mushroom. A quick $5 cap, we snapped it on and no more leak! Refilled the coolant reservoir and let the truck run for about 15 minutes. The truck did not overheat nor was it leaking fluid from the Bypass Cap or any other area that I could notice. Needle sat nicely at the middle line.

I believe my water pump IS WORKING because we saw the fill level rise as the truck ran and the coolant was moving around in the reservoir nor have I ever suspected for it to be malfunctioning.

But my HEAT was NOT working. I know for a fact I have never had issue with my heat/ac whatsoever. My buddy tried to let some air of of the coolant hoses and said we could come back tomorrow to see if the heat was working? We believed the hoses were warming up with coolant running through them however no heat??

What would still be keeping the heat from working in then truck?

Any takers to tackle this saga before we go back at it today or tomorrow?

Looks like your free advice was worth it! But now no heat :(

Something else looks to be wrong as well...

When I replaced my manifold, I had a hard time getting enough coolant into the system -- even after driving it awhile. Maybe you still have some air in the system and no coolant is getting to the heater core.

Back