Motorized pre-oiler | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorized pre-oiler

I permanently mounted the preluber using medium strength thread lock instead of lock washers so all of the retaining nut threads would be engaged with the stud threads. The wiring harness shown below would interfere with hex bolt heads or nuts.
RFRailMount3.jpg

So I used flat head bolts and countersunk the remote filter mount holes in the 3/16 inch thick steel support plate.
RFPlate.jpg

I used nylon lock nuts to secure the plate to the remote filter mount.
RFAssy.jpg

I drilled holes in the frame rail to match those in the plate and then tapped the frame rail holes with hex head #14 x 1" self tapping screws and cutting oil. I installed lock washers to keep the screws from vibrating loose when installing the remote filter assembly.
RFRailMount4.jpg

I tried a straight -10AN barb hose fitting on the outboard port but it interfered with the wheel splash shield so I'll try 45 degree fittings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed the battery and battery tray so I could start wiring the preluber. I installed corrugated loom over the two wires and threaded it aft under the battery junction box which eventually will be the source of power for the control relay.
BatTray1.jpg

I cleaned up the SOHC coolant/filter adapter and installed it on the DOHC long block that is now in the engine compartment.
bypassadapter-jpg.jpg

I also installed the Trans Dapt 1027 spin on by pass adapter for the remote filter and preluber.
EngMounted.jpg

The series 400 5/8 inch diameter oil hose I ordered finally arrived Tuesday so I cut it to fit and installed it with appropriate fittings. Hose 1 below with the check valve is the output from the remote filter block adapter and hose 2 is the return to the block from the remote filter.
InOutHoses.jpg

The remote filter mount is shown below. The 90 degree fitting item 1 is the inlet to the filter from the check valve. Item 2 is the output from the filter that goes to the block.
RFRailMount6.jpg

Item 3 is the inlet to the remote filter from the pre-luber. Item 4 is the inlet to the pre-luber that will come from the oil pan when I cut and fit the 1/2 inch diameter series 400 hose.

The pre-oiler plumbing is complete. The -8 AN hose from the oil pan to the pre-oiler is covered with heat sheathing to protect it from the exhaust manifold heat. I used a 30 degree hose barb AN fitting at the T fitting to keep the oil hose close to the pan and block.
OilPanOutlet.jpg

It was a tight fit for the -8 AN hose from the oil pan to fit between the two -10 AN hoses between the remote oil filter and the block adapter.

PumpInput.jpg

There's a 45 degree -8 AN fitting where the hose connects to the pre-oiler inlet. I used an inexpensive Fram PH16 oil filter for the first engine start. It will be replaced after engine warmup when the engine rebuild pre-lube gets collected in the filter.

The photo shows the utilization of the limited space available. I replaced the straight hose barb to -10 AN fitting on the remote filter end of hose B that supplies filtered oil to the block adapter with a 45 degree fitting to avoid hose interference with the lower fan shroud D. A better choice would have been a 30 degree fitting to gain more clearance from the lower radiator hose.
InOutHoses2.jpg

Hose C comes from the oil pan. After adding 5 quarts of oil to the engine I connected my battery charger clips to the pre-oiler wires to check for leaks. The pre-oiler motor pulled about 10 amps while priming and then filling the oil filter. After a few seconds the motor slowed and began pulling about 13 amps as the system pressurized. So far I haven't detected any engine oil leaks.

I hate to keep such old post going but I want to get the parts I need to make one. So if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I was thinking of ordering this oil cooler kit because it would come with sandwiche adaptor and I know I will have to drill out the plate no biggie. Comes with hose and some fittings. And I'm not gonna use the rest.
https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Autom...3------------&vehicleName=2002+Ford+Explorer#
Then I'm going to get this pump to go with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made...mpellor+gear+pump&qid=1568732829&sr=8-1-fkmr0
I can get all the other fittings I will need locally either the auto parts store or Home Depot. Any thoughts suggestions or any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Back