Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Replacing 1-pc spark plugs

The recent spark plug thread got me thinking of my own. The original 2pc plugs were changed by the previous owner at about 65,000 miles, with the 1-pc design. Smart guy...did them early. Now at 150,000 miles, I've actually gone farther than I intended on these. 1. Do I need to bother with the...
  2. T

RF CV Shaft Replacement

RF CV boot (outer) is torn, and I want to fix it whenever spring ACTUALLY arrives here in Michigan. From what I can see, replacing the entire shaft is the way to go, with the assumption that I'm not spending over $300 for the Motorcraft. Rockauto:: APWI - $37 - 12 month warranty HERI - $41 -...
  3. T

HVAC blower buzzing

'06 Mountaineer Premier, with Auto Temp Control. A moderate buzzing from under the dash when running (comes and goes). Gets higher-pitch and louder as fan speed is increased. Does not seem to change when blend controls changed, so it seems like the fan blade(s) are just barely, lightly...
  4. T

Replace power running boards, with fixed

I'm tired of the power running boards on my '06 Mounty. Each winter, the boards seemed to be slowing down more, or not retracting all the way. Last winter I pulled the fuse to leave them retracted. Spring 2017, I tried removing them to follow the clean/lube procedure I found here. After...
  5. T

2006 V8 6sp: how-to lockout 6th only?

Our Mountaineer has been a great family vehicle, whether towing or not. Very capable for it's size, and handles our travel trailer very well (~5200 lbs loaded). What I can't stand is that the OD lockout button forces the 6sp-auto down to 4th gear (locks out 5th and 6th). The majority of the...
  6. T

Trans fluid

Short question: Do I need to have my transmission serviced based on my use (see below). If so, pan drop with filter change, or flush? Vehicle history: We purchased our '06 Mounty in 2010 with nearly 70,000 miles on it, and it's been a pretty good vehicle for us. The previous owner had all...
  7. T

NaviDVD legitimate?

I'm seeing a few posts, and have checked out the website for navidvd.com $45 for 13P or $30 for 12P Navigation disc. But I only see 1 user here recommending them, and they only have 4 posts on this forum. Has anybody else purchased from this site, and can you please share your experience?
  8. T

Add subwoofer output control

I have the stock 6CD with Nav headunit, with stock subwoofer. I'm very happy with the overall sound, and will NOT be changing the headunit, amps, speakers, etc. The problem is that when passengers are in the rear, the bass is too much for conversation. But turning down the bass level (at the...
  9. T

XL-rated tires: Normal driving vs. Towing

Just got new tires on the Mounty (235/65-18). Had it narrowed it down to these, within a few dollars of each other with rebates: a. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus (106H SL) b. Yokohama YK-HTX (110T XL) Since I tow a 5200 lbs camper, the salesguy recommended the XL rated Yokohama. I...
  10. T

Collision damage to 7-pin Bargman connector

My wife was stopped at a red light in the Mounty, with 2 other cars stopped behind her. Some idiot rear-ended that 3rd car, with chain reaction bumping the Mounty. The idiot took off, leaving 3 ladies shocked, and no description of the offender. No injuries, no tickets issued, and we have a...
  11. T

radiator leak - mystery plug

I thought I was dodging the radiator issue, but it might be time. I thought the drain plug was leaking, but the small amount of fluid is coming thru this strange side plug/grommet. The same strange plug on passenger side of radiator is dry. What is this?
  12. T

Coolant flush & fill

With searching, I've only found bits of info about doing a full coolant flush and refill, but no good how-to. I have the V8 with aux HVAC, which manual says is a 15.9qt system (just shy of 4 gallons). I have 2 gallons of Prestone Ext. Life concentrate, and want to flush as much as necessary to...
  13. T

Charging system issue

Long story, but want to give you everything I've checked, and conditions: 2006 Mounty with 109,000 miles. My wife is the primary driver. She let me know a few weeks ago that she was getting a Charging System error in the Info Display. I have seen it once or twice since then, although...
  14. T

update Navigation DVD?

My '06 Mounty has the OEM DVD-based Nav system (named "Flo" by my girls). I thought about updating the DVD a couple of years ago, until I saw the price, at $199! Has rarely been a problem, but there are a few new bypasses showing up here and there that have thrown Flo into a fit. Got a...
  15. T

rear diff - change to limited-slip?

I have another thread ("hub noise? Diff?"), which I believe is pointing toward a new/rebuilt diff. Given that assumption (not yet confirmed by mechanic)... It's my understanding that my V8-AWD Mounty has open diffs both front and rear. The center diff engages automatically. It can not be...
  16. T

hub noise? diff?

2006 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD Premier, 101,000 miles We've had this truck since Aug 2010, 74,000 miles. As far as I know, all 4 hubs are original. All 3 diffs got new fluid around 58,000 miles. Trans serviced at 62,000 miles. This started 2-3 days ago (per my wife). She told me today that...
  17. T

Official Ford Towing Guides

Can someone make this a sticky in the Towing Section? As of March 2014, this link has archives back to 2002 model year for all Ford vehicles. FORD TOWING GUIDE ARCHIVES
  18. T

'06 Mounty sun-visor

I most likely will need to replace my RH sunvisor for my 2006 Mountaineer, as the mirror/light assy has become 90% detached from the visor itself. I haven't found anything specifically for the '06 model. I've found 7L2Z-7804104-GA as the correct item (RH, camel color, with sunroof)...
  19. T

Items for PremiumCare Warranty

Taking my Mounty in before the extended warranty runs out (Ford ESP PremiumCare). Trying to be prepared for disputes over what's covered. Here are my issues: 1. Stab. control light on solid. Will they cover this, or only if something has actually failed? 2. Driver power seatback switch...
  20. T

Exhaust/manifold rattle on ext. warranty?

I have Ford's PremiumCare warranty, 7 years, 100,000 miles. 7 years hits in November on our 2006, which we have owned for about 2 years. So I have a short list of items to get fixed, all at once, to get the most of the $100 deductible. My questions is an exhaust rattle. It's always been...
  21. T

4x4 light came on

'06 Mounty V8 AWD, towing travel trailer at about 5,000 lbs (rated 7,000 lbs) Coming home from camping yesterday, I had been on surface roads (~45mph) for about 15 minutes. I made the left onto the entrace ramp to expressway and was merging into traffic when I felt a disturbance in the...
  22. T

Subwoofer level control?

I hate the subwoofer in my '06 Mounty. When it's just me, I love the overall sound. But with the family in the truck, it's too much bass in the back, even at low volume, for the kids. So I have to turn down the system-bass at the equilizer, but that makes the mains sound tinny. I wish they'd...
  23. T

Damaged rear bumper cover

My FIL accidently backed into our Mounty with his older Explorer. The ball on the step bumper went right thru the right-rear corner, there is a large crack all the way up to the tail-light from there, and other smaller cracks nearby. All the damage is isolated in that corner. No other damage...
  24. T

6R60 trans fluid temp ('06-'10 V8 only please)

The 6R60 6-speed in the V8 truck behaves much different than the 5-speed in the V6 truck. So please only provide input in this thread for the '06-'10 6R60 6-speed. Thanks. If you monitor your trans temps on the 6-speed, please provide you typical temps under different conditions: Here...
  25. T

'06 Mounty 4.6L - Misfire P0302

My wife got a flashing engine warning lamp last night, and pulled over and called me (bless her!). After shutting down and restarting, the lamp was solid. So I told her to come home gently as long as it's solid. When I got home, my ScanGaugeII pulled a code "P0302", misfire on cylinder #2...
Back