Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

5.0 Exhaust Thread

I've been running a Cherrybomb Vortex 2.5" dual in dual out off the stock flange of my 97 mountaineer. All i have after the muffler is 2.5" turndowns. It sounds good and the muffler only cost my like $85 from Jegs.
  2. M

1997 Ford Explorer Timing Gears

So I was surfing the internet for random Ford Explorer Accessories when i came accross timing gears for a 97 Ford Explorer OHV 5.0 V8 (obviously they will fit a 97 mountaineer as its that same engine) on Rockauto. Does anybody here run these timing gears or some other brand of gears? So i'm...
  3. M

Will never buy a GM again!

Welcome to our forum. I am actually one of the people that gave Ford a chance and ended up extremely satisfied.
  4. M

Soccoroween Event

So who is planning on going to Soccoroween at Gordy's OHV this coming weekend? Weekend of Novemver 2nd through the 4th
  5. M

v8 explorer 2004

It happens at idle right? If it only happens while driving then check wheel bearings. Otherwise you might want to check out the main bearing in the engine, but idk about newer explorers. P.s. posting a video on youtube might help us diagnose the problem. Just an idea.
  6. M

Highest original parts mileage

97 Mounty 5.0 176xxx miles, bought it with 168xxx miles. Drove from PA to NM. Then drove a current total of 1250 miles off road. The engine doesn't even burn oil.
  7. M

1998 Mountaineer will not start

Sounds like the anti-theft relay is having issues. I've heard that it's a common problem. I would say that you should take the starter off and have it tested at autozone or something. It also sounds like you may not have enough power going to the starter solenoid.
  8. M

Anyone know how to make my 99 v6 fast?

swap in a 302 explorer motor
  9. M

Is 2-3 sec delay on shifting gears normal at all?

Also, if i go from neutral back into drive while moving, it takes a few seconds to re-engage the transmission. And a clunk when i put it in reverse when backing out of a parking spot. And i actually do notice that it's a little smoother when changing gear manually. Well, I'll see how long it...
  10. M

Yeah, i can tell, it does need a rebuild. Unfortunately I don't know any shops i can trust in New Mexico. Also it sometimes shifts hard into the next gear. It's not a very violent shift, but it is noticable.
  11. M

Well, i do shift it manually, but i don't see how that would help because it still has the same delay. It's about .5sec less with O/D off though. Could it just need a service? I went to dealership in town for lulz and that's what they said it could be.
  12. M

1997 mercury mountaineer 5.0 176xxx miles I've been noticing that the transmission takes 2-3 seconds to shift from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. Its been like this since i got it, and i never thought much of it since it got me from PA to NM without a problem. Fluid is nice and red at proper level as...
  13. M

List of Problems from mechanic

Sounds like 91k only on the trails... Rear pinion seal isn't too bad, gear puller is easiest way to get the seal out. Sounds like you need to pretty much rebuild the rear axle though. Btw, metal flakes on the rear diff drain plug doesn't always mean the diff is going bad, as mine had flakes...
  14. M

The Infamous shaking center console

Well i have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 5.0. 176xxx miles and still strong I just replaced my ruined front driveshaft with a new one for $350:eek: I also thought that the shaking center console at around 75 mph (highway speed limit btw) was caused by the ruined front driveshaft. Well...
  15. M

Why is my fuel mileage less than 8 mpg???

I'm not using the fuel gauge to calculate because it's rubbish. I think my terrible fuel economy may have to due with my cherrybomb vortex and K and N air filter. OR the gas stations are lying their ***** off and the fuel is really E-15 and not E-10 like it's supposed to be. I do recall my...
  16. M

Please help, steering problems!

It's a brand new belt, as a got a shorter one so i could bypass the A/C Compressor that seized right before i hit the trail. I might just replace power steering pump with one that will also run a hydraulic winch.
  17. M

Quick update: Currently get about 15 mpg on the highway with my 5.0 v8. And get about 9 around town. Not hammering the throttle for a full tank barely helps.
  18. M

Please help, steering problems!

I have a 97 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 176xxx miles. I have noticed that the steering keeps getting heavier over time. It's really mostly the heaviest at low speeds, like when parking or backing out of a parking spot.:( I think it may be the mid-steering shaft because i notice one of the covers...
  19. M

97 Mountaineer Bad A/C Compressor

Well, i figured out that a bad noise and smell that came from my truck after turning on the heater, was the A/C compressor seizing:mad:. For anybody who hasn't had this problem, it smelled a little bit like burnt coolant and rubber. The noise sounded like metal on metal at high speed/ a low...
  20. M

Discount on 2013 Limited Explorer --- Just Placed the Order !

$47,000 for and explorer? :O That's crazy. I had no idea they got to be that expensive. WOW. So did Ford fix all the problems that all the 2011 explorers were having?
  21. M

Since my last fillup at a shell with my 97 Mountaineer i have gone about 80 miles on a half a tank of fuel (that's 10 gallons). I will add that i normaly get about 13 or so, but more recently around 10 mpg city and off road driving. With this last fill up i have gone about 30 miles through 10...
  22. M

HELP SOS won't start.

Well i found the issue. The starter motor must have been stuck or something because i put the starter motor back on after it had been tested and my 97 Mountaineer started right up.
  23. M

HELP SOS won't start.

Where is the antitheft relay?
  24. M

HELP SOS won't start.

Starter motor was just tested and there's nothing wrong with it. So i really have almost no idea what it could be.
  25. M

HELP SOS won't start.

Terminals are clean, put the new solenoid in and got the same thing. So i think it's probably the startermotor. Isn't he starter motor on the bellhousing? If it is then the snow i was driving through is what destroyed it then.
Back