• Single exit 70 series 2.5" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Single exit with 3" tailpipe-rear cats removed

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Other--please specify in post

Votes: 70 17.8%

• Total voters
No

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto, those later PCM's can handle more than the last EECIV stuff. Little things like one minor change are no trouble.

If you want high quality made out of stainless I would go with Magnaflow: Magnaflow Universal Muffler. If you just want an aluminized muffler or something cheaper I would go with Flowmaster. Both companies make a variety of types, sizes, and styles so do some research..

If you want high quality made out of stainless I would go with Magnaflow: Magnaflow Universal Muffler. If you just want an aluminized muffler or something cheaper I would go with Flowmaster. Both companies make a variety of types, sizes, and styles so do some research..

I'm very familiar with Maganflow and Flowmaster. Both brands have everything from a single chamber up to a 4ft long RV muffler.

I was hoping that someone had some first hand experience with something that they liked, rather than throwing on a 3 chamber and crossing my fingers.

Magnaflow or its parent company walker

Can anyone recommend a good free flowing stock replacement muffler that is fairly quiet?

Try a Walker Hemi Turbo, or their other turbo mufflers. I think they are the quietest available, and based on the original Sonic Turbo from about 1980.

Is going ture duals 2.25 form header back with torquemonster headers and rear cats removed a good setup? Or would 2.50 from headers be better?

I've been running a Cherrybomb Vortex 2.5" dual in dual out off the stock flange of my 97 mountaineer. All i have after the muffler is 2.5" turndowns. It sounds good and the muffler only cost my like $85 from Jegs.

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have a Walker part# for a 2.75" or 3" tailpipe that fits these Explorers? Also are there Y-pipes that go from two 2.5" inlets to one 2.75" or 3" outlet?

Your OEM pipes ae 2.25" The Walker replacement is 2.5".

3" pipes could be made. You can always order various lengths of pipes, bends at different angles, and connectors. Summit racing has a lot of exhaust components.

Any decent muffler shop should be able to bend pipe. They will most likely b crimped bends, apposed to mandrel bends.

Is going ture duals 2.25 form header back with torquemonster headers and rear cats removed a good setup? Or would 2.50 from headers be better?

Hi. I can't say from experience on 2.5" or larger pipes, but I didn't lose any noticeable bottom end with 2.25" pipes, it is a street truck. I got a DIDO 2.25" flowmaster 50 series installed and removed the rear 2 cats. It just fit good, and sounds like I wanted. $350 included everything, super happy with it. Man, 50 series is definitely loud enough for me, this clip is with front cats still in place an TM headers-

Youtube Video

mrqe.jpg

4v17.jpg

9l9c.jpg

How'd you get the black finish on the piping?

it's paint dude, my exhaust guy did that, we'll see if it holds up.

FWIW, I found this info regarding pipe size, it says 2.25" dual pipes are good to 371hp, but that may be referring to straight or mandrel bent pipe, crush bent pipe would be less. Says dual 2.5" pipe is good up to 463hp. -

Quick and Dirty Exhaust System Math

Damn Swerve!

That's one clean rig!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey thanks for noticing! I got this one a couple of years ago, this is my third 2nd gen, first mounty though. Lots of elbow grease cleaning it up!!! :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for noticing! I got this one a couple of years ago, this is my third 2nd gen, first mounty though. Lots of elbow grease cleaning it up!!! :thumbsup:

Words can't describe my jealousy of 1)your exhaust but 2) how amazing clean your undercarriage is.

Thinking about some exhaust mods. Removing secondary cats, a magnaflow 12368 muffler and at least 2.5 inch piping starting at the cat deletes back, possibly 3 inch. I do not want drone at all so can I get some feedback regarding some modded exhausts and drone on x's.

With my experience any straight through muffler design is going to create drone on an SUV because of the muffler and exhaust exit location in relation to the cabin. Here is another thought, our explorer's are geared so that they are doing about 2,000 RPM's at 60mph or so. Normally drone occurs between 2,000 and 2,500 rpms (highway speeds). I have a similar muffler on my truck with is a Magnaflow straight though dual 2.5" in and single 3" out with no cats. I'm not going to sugar coat it; it has a lot of drone when doing any speed over 65 (3.73 gears). If it was a daily driver I would have to do something different.

I don't see it on the poll... so what's the general opinion of dual side exit exhausts, right before the rear wheel?

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With my experience any straight through muffler design is going to create drone on an SUV because of the muffler and exhaust exit location in relation to the cabin. Here is another thought, our explorer's are geared so that they are doing about 2,000 RPM's at 60mph or so. Normally drone occurs between 2,000 and 2,500 rpms (highway speeds). I have a similar muffler on my truck with is a Magnaflow straight though dual 2.5" in and single 3" out with no cats. I'm not going to sugar coat it; it has a lot of drone when doing any speed over 65 (3.73 gears). If it was a daily driver I would have to do something different.
I wonder if its the missing cats or the muffler that causes the drone. I really to free up some more ponies for when I tow my camper. Just not at the cost of a droning exhaust. Is your muffler literally straight through like you can see out the other end when looking through it? There are performance mufflers that have baffling and are not straight through. I wonder if something like that would keep it quiet?

Back