Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. JW

Chain Lightning - 2003 Centennial Edition

This is my 2003 Explorer, Centennial Edition. I found it at a tiny dealer way up in Sedro-Woolley, WA, on January 21, 2022. I was on a plane to Bellingham, WA, the morning of January 22. 4.6L, AWD, every option except the rear DVD. She had 195,000 miles when I got her, and I immediately drove...
  2. JW

P0405 code on 2004 4.0L

My 2004 was throwing a code (don't recall exactly which one) about insufficient EGR flow. I replaced the entire module (EGR, DPFE and vacuum regulator in one) and cleared the codes. I also cleaned the throttle body. Now I'm getting a P0405 code (low voltage on circuit A or something like...
  3. JW

Possible trouble with Flex-A-Lite fan controller

My 2003 has an electric fan conversion and I suspect the Flex-A-Lite 33054 controller has taken a turn for the worse. Saturday night, the fan quit working completely. I tore everything apart Sunday morning and was able to successfully test the fan by connecting directly to the battery. I was...
  4. JW

Ghost Rider - 2003 Limited

Pack up all those phantoms, Shoulder that invisible load... - Rush, "Ghost Rider" (Vapor Trails, 2002) This is my 2003 Limited 4x4 4.6L. It's the third of four Fords I've owned, behind my 1994 Ranger, which I still have, and my old 1998 Expedition, which I should have run off a cliff. Stock...
  5. JW

Upgrading cluster and factory head unit

On my 2004 XLT, I'd like to upgrade to the 6-CD head unit (with steering wheel controls, ideally) and the message center cluster. Anyone know if the wiring harnesses and GEMs are the same across trim lines, or do they vary?
  6. JW

Poor idle, NO power

2003 4.6L has a bad idle and barely enough power to crawl down the street. - Fuel pressure is 65 PSI - Tested several injectors and got 12-14 ohms - Tested several coils and got resistance across the terminals of about 0.5 ohms - Tested the TPS and it seems to be fine - Tested the MAF based on...
  7. JW

Switched underhood power source

Is there a place under the hood to tap into ignition-switched power? I'm already tapped into fuse #39 (fuel pump relay) for my fan controller, but I'm adding an auxiliary fuse block under the hood and would like to feed its relay with switched power, without tapping a fuse if possible.
  8. JW

Electronic climate control - either freezing or burning

I've lost the fine temperature control in my Explorer. I have to push the temp up to 90 degrees to get any heat at all (which is blazing), and anything below that is ambient temp or cold with the AC on. I have equal temperature on both sides, and no noises like you hear with the blend door...
  9. JW

Viable replacement intake manifold/temp gauge

It appears my intake manifold has a crack in it somewhere in the rear coolant passage on the driver's side. The leak isn't persistent but will drop about 1-2 cups of coolant each time it leaks. I'm searching for a replacement and can find lots of Mustang intakes, but nothing Explorer-specific...
  10. JW

Replacing the heater tube on the 4.6L

I have a leak in the tube that runs from the back of the water pump to the inbound heater hose. I have the replacement part but can't remember if there's an O-ring on the water pump end. The replacement tube doesn't come with one, and the parts diagrams are useless. Before I tear the thing...
  11. JW

2001 Dakota V8 coolant reservoir replacement

My son has a 2001 Dakota with what appears to be a cracked coolant reservoir (non-descript leaking from alongside the left outer portion of the fan shroud). Hard to tell since Dodge buried it under a stupid blow-molded shroud. Anyway, anyone have experience removing/replacing the reservoir...
  12. JW

Front axle shaft removal

What holds the front axle shafts in the differential? Does the cover need to be removed or can the axle be pulled without doing that?
  13. JW

Headers installed, higher underhood temps?

I have the JBA ceramic coated headers on my V8. I've noticed more heat in the footwells and a lot more under the hood. Anyone else with headers experience this?
  14. JW

Help! No start!

Plenty of battery power but won't crank. Acting as though the PCM is hosed. No temp gauge (engine is hot), no message center (all dashes).
  15. JW

CV boot has a split in it

While replacing the engine, I noticed the left front axle shaft's CV boot has split and spit a bunch of grease out. Not sure how long it's been like that but I imagine the joint is shot to hell. I've had a slight grinding sound/vibration rolling from a dead stop for a while, and in the last...
  16. JW

Ghost Rider - back from the dead

A while back I posted about a loss of oil pressure. I had the dreaded timing chain guide failure, but I misdiagnosed the noise as a failing idler pulley and let it go too far. The low/no oil pressure that resulted from timing chain guide bits clogging the oil pump trashed the engine at 121,000...
  17. JW

Engine/transmission mating issue

Trying to button up the engine replacement. Engine is fully in the mounts, torque converter-to-flexplate bolts are where they need to be, but the gap between the back of the block and the bellhousing is inconsistent - up tight on the right, but about a 1/8 - 3/16" gap on the left - and I can't...
  18. JW

Knock sensor

Which side is which on the knock sensor? One wire is longer than the other (I believe that is the passenger side but don't want to cross them).
  19. JW

Damaged fuel rail crossover line

The gray/black line that connects the fuel rails got sliced open. In removing the line from the fuel rail, it appears that it could be replaced with hose that can withstand the pressure, and a couple of clamps. The fittings on the rails themselves are barbed and there aren't any clamps on...
  20. JW

4.6L Engine Removal

A while back I posted about a loss of oil pressure. At that same time I had blown timing chain guides and one damaged tensioner, all of which has been replaced. That didn't resolve the pressure issue, and I've since confirmed the pressure really is low with a real gauge (20 PSI cold, 10 PSI...
  21. JW

Power steering pump removal

Anyone have any tips on how to get the bottom 10mm bolt out? There's a hard line directly in front of it, and I cannot get the fitting for that line loose; it's nearly impossible to get a wrench on it, and it's extraordinarily tight. The ultimate goal is to get the timing cover off, and...
  22. JW

Losing oil pressure off and on

2003, 4.6L. I’ve been hearing a minor clattering sound consistent with an idler or tensioner pulley that’s getting ready to go, so I didn’t think much of it. This morning it briefly lost oil pressure twice and returned pretty quickly. In searching the forums it appears that it’s common for...
  23. JW

Dark upper interior parts?

Did any year/trim level of 2002-2005 Explorer come with the upper trim pieces in a color other than the light gray? TascaParts.com makes reference to some black parts for 04/05 (which are no different from 02/03 as far as I can tell) but don't know if that's a mistake or not.
  24. JW

Cruise control problem

My cruise control has always worked sporadically. Sometimes it wouldn't engage until after several attempts (press Set, dash light would flash on and off), then eventually it stopped engaging altogether, although the dash light would occasionally stay lit. I picked up the switch that is on...
  25. JW

Factory trans temp sensor & wiring?

I've seen several references to newer OBD-2 Explorers having a trans temp sensor from the factory and tapping into the wiring for that to add a gauge, but no info on what wire(s) to use or where they're located. Can anyone shed any light on that?
Back