Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Radio LED display fix!!!

Ford may not have a history, but the Visteon service center here in Austin, TX sure does. As soon as I said "'98 Ford Explorer", the technician said "CD/cassette head unit, right?" He said it should cost about $150 to fix. Some manufacturers ask their suppliers for out-of-warranty repair...
  2. D

New Explorer/ Escape

Where can I get some of those black leather wheels? Sounds kinky.
  3. D

Cheap way to lower?

Thanks, Mark - I'll give them a call.
  4. D

Cheap way to lower?

Re: kalecoauto.... Mark - I'm in Austin, but the only place I've found 1.5 in blocks is on the internet (at about $25 for a pair). What store are you talking about?
  5. D

I wana drop it....

Any place that does alignments can install the camber adjusters, or you can get them yourself at a parts store - Moog makes them, among others. I've heard they're a little tricky to install, but it's possible. Great idea on those side markers/turn signals.
  6. D

I wana drop it....

As far as tire wear and lowering, installing camber adjusters will let you align the front end properly so the tires don't wear. The rears shouldn't be a problem. What are your turn signals in the mirrors? Side marker lights?
  7. D

How low to go?

A few years ago, Explorer Express said they didn't recommend lowering an X any further than 1 7/8", and that's what their lowering kit did. Then, a little while ago, they started recommending lowering no more than 1 3/8", and that's what their current kit does. All I can find is 1" and 2"...
  8. D

Another Recall?!?

Robert, thanks. I'm always on the lookout for something Ford will replace for free.
  9. D

Front end noise.

My clunk went away when my Ford dealer replaced the tie rod ends - about a $300 job, fortunately mine was under the extended warranty. Good luck!
  10. D

Another Recall?!?

Does this recall affect '98 X's? I haven't gotten a notice.
  11. D

Lowering an Explorer

A couple of years ago, Explorer Express advertised that their lowering kit for X's dropped them 1 3/4". Now they say the kits lower the truck 1 3/8". All I can find is 2" lowering blocks. Is there really going to be any significant difference (bad or good) if I lower mine 2" instead of 1 3/8"?
  12. D

twenty's...

I like A too, but check out the spokes - they look like they stick out some. Honda puts a similar design on the Accord, and the spokes actually protrude beyond the tire sidewall. Everyone I know who has them has chewed up at least one on a curb. Great lookin' wheels, though.
  13. D

Ford remote keyless entry kit

Re: Anyone else buy aftermarket? Just saw your post, or I would have answered earlier. I got a kit from Performance Parts (www.performanceparts.com) and tried to install it in my '93 XLT. The catalog said if I had power door locks the remote entry kit was a simple plug-in. I followed the...
  14. D

SOHC Exhaust options-whos swapped?

Re: Exhaust You might want to check AC Blessing's postings on the Audio forum before you Dynamat - he used expanding spray foam and got great results for considerable savings.
  15. D

Friction while turning

Jim - the only front end noises I've had in my X's (all 2-wheel drive) have been from either wheel bearings or tie rod ends, and those tended to make clunks or groans. Replacing them solved the problem. Apparently, there's not much to lube up front, Ford makes more money if you can't...
  16. D

Graphics and stickers

I've seen a black pickup in my area that has red/orange flames all around the front end, like the old hot rods, except they're kinda stylized instead of looking like actual flames. Sounds dorky, but actually looks pretty cool. It's made me consider having them put on my white X to separate it...
  17. D

Raced a Viper . . .

I Lied I didn't really race a Viper. I just thought I'd say I did and see what the response was. Hope you guys don't kick me off the board.
  18. D

Raced a Viper . . .

Actually, Gimp, I had it floored, I think he was busy talking on his cell phone and accidentally took his foot off the brake. All I could see was taillights vanishing in the distance. Damn those V-10s! Maybe if I hadn't had my A/C on so high . . . There's also a Turbo Carrera in town I've...
  19. D

Raced a Viper . . .

Got my butt kicked.
  20. D

'98 Premium System Upgrade

My '98 XLT has the premium sound system (AM/FM/CD/Cassette, changer, rear controls). I've read the forum comments about the stock head unit, but I personally like it because of the looks and the "wow, rear controls!" factor. I want to upgrade and keep the look as stock as possible. I plan to...
  21. D

NEW Pictures of ilikedellcomputers ride!!!

Pillars are the metal columns that hold the roof up, usually referred to by letters starting with A at the windshield, B for the one between the doors (or behind the door on a 2-door), C for the one by the back window on a sedan, D for the one by the back window on an SUV or station wagon...
  22. D

Sport shocks

shocks for lowered Explorer Explorer Express has the standard Edelbrocks, and also sells Edelbrocks "calibrated for lowered suspensions" for about $10 more per shock. Anybody know what that means? Does it make a difference?
  23. D

I just got my Euro Altezzas!!!

Jornum - your truck looks great! Hope the body work turns out as good as the rest of the truck. Good shops can be hard to find.
  24. D

Explorer Express lowering kit

thanks RU MAN - you were right, great idea - several posts on the sport truck area about lowering, including one about the kit I'm looking at. Thanks for the welcome - this is a great site. I wish I'd known about it when I had my '93. It could have used a LOT of improvement. See ya . . .
Back