Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

96 x with new vibration

Check your drive shaft bolts, I had a horrible vibration and it turned out that my drive shaft bolts were coming loose. I had just done transmission work and I didn't tighten them up to spec... Check every drive shaft, half shaft, and maybe the front drive shaft for lose bolts.
  2. V

4R55E to A4LD swap

Is there a general compatibility thread somewhere, like what transmissions work with what years? I think they put 4r44e and 4r55e in my year (1996) so presumably I could use either in my truck, with very little modification. Is there somewhere that details what year has what tranny and what...
  3. V

5R55E specs

I was wondering is a 4R55E much different than a 5R55E when it comes to controls? I know the A4LD is mostly hydraulic, the 4R55E has more solenoids, and the 5R55E pretends to have 5 speeds. The reason I am curious is my 4R55E died, intermediate band is toast, and I can get ahold of a 5R55E...
  4. V

Transmission Trouble (again)

Intermediate Band is dead Jim. Well, the Overdrive Band tightened up just fine, torqued and ready to go, unfortunately the Intermediate Band would never hit 120 inch pounds, and snugged right up to the locking nut. I should have listened when I had the transmission out here...
  5. V

Well, I have been working all week and finally tomorrow I have some time to look under the truck. I do remember when I had the pan off, I looked at some valve body gasket material that was pushing out past the edge of where it is seated I think. It broke off in a chunk when I touched it...
  6. V

Hello again! Well, the transmission work I did this summer worked great and got us through the winter just fine. Everything works on our X and we love it. Now for the bad news! We had a CEL and flashing O/D light and the 2nd gear started not engaging unless we let off the accelerator. I...
  7. V

Catalytic Converter Rattle Sound

Hello Again! It seems like every time I have a problem I come here. When I first got my Explorer I changed out the O2 sensors, the X has over 200,000 miles on it and the CEL was dropping O2 codes and Cat codes. The O2 codes went away, but the Cat code never did go away. (before you...
  8. V

Transmission Problem

You could install a 2nd transmission filter along with a fluid and filter repalcement. The 2nd filter uses a regular oil filter and it continually cleans out the fluid. Definetly change out the fluid though, you can do a flush, pump out the old and pour in the new as it pumps out. Flushing...
  9. V

Tranny Help Please!!!

What kind of fluid are you using? You said the fluid was black, perhaps it is time to change it, maybe you will find some metal chunks in the oil.
  10. V

Busted Flexplate Question

Can Autozone read a code from the PCM, or just from the OBDII? I have a OBDII reader but I cant read transmission codes, also this error does not set the CEL so there is no error in the OBDII. I was told that there is another computer in the PCM that stores codes, and that a normal OBDII...
  11. V

No, did not replace that. It was too far in for me, I was too afraid to dig any deeper with all the little things falling out of the transmission. Maybe i should have, what symptoms would that sensor have if it was bad?
  12. V

Well crap, the O/D off light still flashes when I get up to 50+mph. I was hoping (wishing) that this fix would solve that problem too. I adjusted the overdrive band (the first one in I think), and it still flashes. I want to read the code out of the PCM but I dont want to pay 50 bux for...
  13. V

Update: I put in all the parts and fluid and by 11:00PM I got her started up. I drove her out of the shop and parked her till tomorrow when I can do more. I was short a few gaskets on the exhaust anyway. Today I plan to make sure the fluid is topped off and there are no leaks. If all goes...
  14. V

How far should I torque my bell housing? I tried a search and came up empty handed. Thanks again guys, im well on my way to finishing this project :)
  15. V

Maybe I could get out my dremmel and grind it down.... KIDDING!!! Cool, hopefully the Sonnax part will run double duty there and I can skip the washer thingy :) Thanks again guys!
  16. V

Brooklyn, I agree I want to replace all the bad parts, but I searched the forum and I find no mention of this part... I already purchased the crank to flexplate spacer you linked to me, but it does not mention the part on the other side of the flexplate. I have no idea what to call it, or if...
  17. V

Can anyone answer if I need a new flexplate spacer washer thing? I purchased a flexplate to crankshaft spacer, but the washer thing was totally fubared, it went between the flexplate and the bolt heads. The 6 bolts went into the flexplate washer thing, then thru the flexplate then thru the...
  18. V

Im trying not to rebuild the whole thing!!! :p SPPES? Is that the black wire leading deeper into the nether regions of the tranny? It looks like it works, the prospect of digging deeper is frightening to me LOL... I have another problem though, I removed the spacer I have some more...
  19. V

I got more pictures of the beast. This is the driver side of the transmission. Passenger side, note the oil dranpan underneath :) Bell Housing, note the scratches from the torque converter spinning on the inside. I dunno why I just like saying pump and thrust... Inside of...
  20. V

I dont have pictures of the transmission but I just took some of the flex plate and torque converter. Brooklyn, I am interested in getting a TC for cheaper than 250 yes, I dont mind shipping if it doesnt eat up the savings :) I am not sure my rig had a spacer... My Flexplate didnt seem to...
  21. V

Shake and Stutter when first moving in Drive and Reverse

It could be a sensor issue, it doesnt sound like a transmission problem to me. I would check the fluid level though, and smell it to see if it is burned, maybe do a blot test. Clean all the sensors, IAF, MAF, etc, then reset the computer. I am not sure about the computer on a 1993 though, I...
  22. V

8588 Ranger, I can't seem to find the flexplate for my truck on that site, I have a 4R55E transmission made in 1995. If you have a link that can get me closer, or maybe it is in the catalog? Toy, I will check them out on monday. Maybe I can save some $$ by shopping around thanks for the...
  23. V

toy, Where did you get your TC? Maybe they fedex?
  24. V

Fortune, It is a little late for that. Part of removing the transmission is pulling the battery cable which resets the computer, and I will be damned if I an putting the transmission back in just to test drive a code back into the pcm to read it out again. BTW I like your avatar :)
  25. V

OK so here is what I think I am going to do so far: $245 - Rebuilt torque converter (is there a way to test if my current torque converter is ok?) $125 - Ford Flexplate (F1TZ-6375-BA) OR $110 - Napa Flexplate (Balkamp-600-5086) I plan to rebuild the current transmission a little at...
Back