Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Gasoline Leak

When my 91 Explorer 4x4 XLT is cold (overnight temp below about 55F), when I start the engine in the morning there is a gasoline leak which pours (dribbles) liquid gasoline onto the ground under the center rear of the engine. After the engine heats up (maybe 3-8 minutes) the leaks stops. This...
  2. M

How to: 1st Gen Explorer Heater Core Replacement Diary

How does one remove the outer cover which is attached with two fasteners? Glacier991's 2nd photo shows the fastener hole (reddish color in photo). The two fasteners do not appear to be screws or bolts. I was thinking of merely cutting them off but there must be some reasonable method of...
  3. M

Heater Bypass 91 Explorer

Thanks Maniak. Can this 1994 Ford Explorer heater control valve be switched manually or does it require the vacuum connections? I see that there is a Camco "Quick Turn Permanent BypassKit for water heaters on a Ford Explorer. Permanent installation of water heater bypass kit Brass...
  4. M

Heater Bypass 91 Explorer

On my 1991 Ford Explorer (about 248,000 miles, bought it in July 1990) The leaking of hot air from the heater into the incoming air raised the temperature of the outside air and reduces the temperature of air when the air conditioning is turned on. I complained to Ford about this about a week...
  5. M

95 Explorer Gas Leak

Gas leak 1991 Ford Explorer Now and then I can smell gasoline fumes but have not been able to find where they come from. This morning about 7:30am I started up my Ford and soon I smelled gasoline and then I saw the fuel dripping onto the ground and there was a puddle about 18 inches in...
  6. M

Radiator Cap Stuck

Unstuck Radiator Cap Thanks for the advice. The cap is not actually threaded but it has those two locking tabs that sort of act like partial threads. I think I got the cap "tilted" when I tried to replace it after checking the radiator fluid level and those two locking tabs were not located...
  7. M

Radiator Cap Stuck

My radiator cap appears to have gotten cross-threaded and is stuck (not able to remove it and difficult to lock it in place). Any hints on how to remove the cap? One approach is to break it and replace it with a new one. 1991 Explorer with about 220,000 miles. Got it new in July 1990. Mike
  8. M

Liftgate Window Support Strut

The liftgate window support struts (gas support cylinders) would no longer keep my 91 Ex window in the open position. It appears that the Ford replacements cost around $50 each. I found that Ezparts sells them (ebay), I purchased a pair, and they were easy to install. It appears that one of...
  9. M

catalytic converter: Have I been cheated?

your 97 Explorer is some some 7+ years old. Ford warrenty is: Under the Emissions Defect Warranty for passenger cars and light duty trucks (vehicles with a GVWR of 8,500 pounds or less), Ford Motor Company also provides coverage, including labor and diagnosis, for 8 years or 80,000 miles...
  10. M

'93 Sport - Won't Shift in 4-wheel. Lots of Snow!

Thumping Transfer Case Worked The 4x4 high push button light would not go on on my 91 Explorer (but the 4x4 low range light would go on). So after reading this tread, I thought "what the heck", may as well try the "thump" approach. So I hit the transfer case actuator with about 3 solid...
  11. M

Tranny Fluid?

Added Lubegard along with new ATF fluid Dogfriend Thanks for the link to the posts regarding the auto transmission not "sucking" in new fluid. I also added some LubeGard auto transmission fluid protection (red bottle) -costs about $7/bottle. http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html...
  12. M

Tranny Fluid?

Changing Auto Trans Fluid Earlier this week, I changed the auto trans fluid using the method of disconnecting the hose from the auto trans fluid cooler, connecting a hose from this hose to a 5 gallon bucket, pumping out the old fluid (turned on engine for say 10-30 second "bursts", and adding...
  13. M

m'er f'er won't turn over

Starter sickly This morning I still was not able to start my 91 Explorer (relay on passenger side merely clicked). Used jumper cables to augment battery but it did not help. Tapped on starter motor with crescent wrench and this caused starter to operate and engine started. Replaced starter...
  14. M

m'er f'er won't turn over

91 Explorer won't start My 91 Ford Explorer will not start after parking at a Safeway (not far from my home in Seattle). The starter/solenoid does "click". I have had this happen before and reasons included: 1) dying battery 2) battery ground cable corroded away (apparently typical with...
  15. M

How to: Converting an R-12 Air Conditioner to use R-134a

Chris Many thanks for the internet link which has the "Handy Dandy Flash Guns" for $34.99. Is there a writeup on the procedure and equipment flow system for doing a R134 AC system flush using this a flusher like the "Handy Dandy Flash Gun" somewhere on the internet or in your prior posts...
  16. M

AC Issues

Leaks. I see that the interdynamics "Cool Air" can of R134 also has AC cleaner and leak sealer. Web site at http://www.id-usa.com/home.htm If the leak is very small, perhaps this leak sealer might do the trick. Mike with 91 4x4 in Seattle
  17. M

AC Issues

I suggest you do a search for R134 recharge and you should find a number of threads about the air conditioning system and Chris provided some great writeups and advice. My 1991 Ford Explorer was doing similar (barely cool air at Max setting) and I measured the low side pressure after adding one...
  18. M

Poll. Any troubles with tranny soon after fluid/filter change, tranny flush?

I had my 1991 4x4 tranny flushed 7/7/99 at 108,300 miles and the A4LD is still working fine ("knock on wood"). I did add some LubeGard "Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant" a couple of years ago on the recommendation of some transmission guys. The internet web site for this additive is...
  19. M

Chris Outstanding writeups! Many thanks!!! It should be noted that the Freon R12 is banned from manufacture in the United States - but the Montreal Protocol allows many countries to continue production until 2010. See the link: http://www.china.org.cn/english/environment/62914.htm It is my...
  20. M

Chris I am talking about the units of pressure measurements - like the air pressure in tire commonly uses the psig or "pounds per square inch gage" unit. To my knowledge, there is no pressure unit of "micron". You are probably reading this off of your instrument (digital implies that the...
  21. M

Chris Very good description and advice on the R12 to R134 conversion. I had my 1991 Ford Explorer converted in May 2001 by a Ford dealer and looking at my Ford service invoice, I see the parts charges of $49.95 for Retro Kit (FP # 409996)), $29.95 for R134 DY (FP # 528-205), and $28.48 for...
  22. M

a/c recharging

Brian Here is a internet web site regarding retrofitting Ford vehicles from R12 to R124 (the link to the Ford R12 to R134 retrofit is shown at the below internet site). http://www.10w40.com/home/auto_repair.asp I realize you are not doing a retrofit - but this web site apparently has...
  23. M

a/c recharging

Brian There is an ester oil Here is a web site with some information: http://www.raysradiator-hotrodshop.com/Recharge%20Air%20Cond.htm Here is the internet writeup about R134 and a Nissan (nice photos, text) http://nissan.sadik.net/howto/ac_r12.htm Here is the intedynamics web site...
  24. M

a/c recharging

Brian My Haynes "Automotive Repair Manual" for 91-98 Ford Explorers says that 94-98 models have R-134a refrigerant. The only "difficulty" I had was with the connection of the hose to the low pressure fitting (mine has a blue colored plastic protective cap). The hose has a sort of quick...
  25. M

Checking the A/C QUESTION

I just used an Interdynamics pressure gage (comes with R134a recharge kit) to measure the pressure on the low-pressure side (as suggested in the directions which comes with the kit). On my 1991 Explorer, the low pressure port is on the passenger side and the high pressure port is near the...
Back