and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

02 Explorer 4WD won't work

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by low66396, May 13, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. low66396

low66396 New Member

City, State:
      Everywhere Colorado
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT
      My 02 Ford Explorer 4WD won't work. I have checked it over and found the motor bad on the transfer case so I replaced it and still doesn't work. I found the module, but not sure how to test it. I do know that I have a back feed to the switch in the dash. This switch has 4 auto, 4 high, and 4 low on the switch. I'm leaning toward the module being bad, but the back feed has me confused.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. crash594

crash594 Active Member

Year and Model:
      2005 XLT
      You did not mention it but I would start with the fuse. Something I learned in aviation start in the begining and follow the power.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
    4. rrgone

rrgone Active Member

City, State:
      Tucson, AZ
      Year and Model:
      '02 XLT
    5. low66396

low66396 New Member

City, State:
      Everywhere Colorado
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT
      I tested the fuses with a power probe and found no problems with the fuses. I will check out the other thread. Thanks.

6. low66396

low66396 New Member

City, State:
      Everywhere Colorado
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT
      That thread has everything mine is doing and it's all leading back to the module, so I will get it and if that isn't it then I will let my ford dealer know what I think.

7. low66396

low66396 New Member

City, State:
      Everywhere Colorado
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT
      Got my new module today and good thing I get parts at body shop price. I pulled the old one and plugged in the new one and I have four wheel drive. The parts guy seemed to think that it wouldn't fix it and I needed to get it in the shop. I started passing on the information you guys passed on and he wasn't happy to find out I knew more than he thought I would. Thanks for all the help I greatly appreciate it.

8. crash594

crash594 Active Member

Year and Model:
      2005 XLT
      Great to hear its fixed. Thanks for updating.

9. dorf16

dorf16 New Member

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      Year and Model:
      '02 XLT
      4WD module

My '02 XLT had a failure of the module while under warranty, ~26,000 miles. The dealer tried to tell me the module failed because I did not rotate my tires enough, making the tires different circumferences. They told me they would not replace it until I put new tires on the vehicle. I asked them to measure each tire's circumference along with me so we could verify this. They declined and lost my business forever. Another dealer performed the work under warranty with no issues.