'05 Entertainment System AUX wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'05 Entertainment System AUX wiring

Skyl3r

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited
Hello All,

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Limited with the entertainment system in the back. I've read, though not tested yet, that I can plug an RCA to 3.5mm cable into the female audio RCA connectors on the back of the TV enclosure and use that with my phone like a standard AUX in.

I'm a neat freak about my wiring. What I want to do is either run the aux cable from the ceiling RCA to a faceplate I will put in the center console so I can plug an 3.5mm aux cable in naturally from the front of the vehicle OR connect with bluetooth. I don't want anything to look aftermarket.

I found an RCA bluetooth audio receiver, which seems like potentially my best bet, as it can hide in the little cubby in the TV enclosure and not be visible. Only problem is it uses USB power. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to get USB power up there without tapping into the TV or DVD player power and adding a converter.

So, the question I'm getting at here is what's the best way to do this?
Anyone done it before with stock audio?

Skyl3r

I suggest you first use a y-cable and sample the audio quality and volume level when using those inputs. It is not the same as playing through the head unit. If the audio is acceptable to you, I believe you are correct to use a concealed Bluetooth adapter, tapping power where available.

Back