1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Explorer blower motor-resistor help

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by sdh0001, January 18, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sdh0001

sdh0001 New Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer 4.6L V8
      I have an 02 4 door 4.6l with the electronic climate controls. When I start up the car and turn the fan control to any speed except the very highest, my dash lights dim a bit and it seems like the motor is jammed or shorted. The moment i switch it to high, the motor kicks on, then I can go to all the different levels and it works fine.

So is there a resister pack I need to replace? Should I replace the blower motor? (If so, is there a post that explains how its done)?

Any help would be great!

I'm worried other things may short out if on low speeds there is a short.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RickM

RickM Active Member

Year and Model:
      '02 Explorer 4.6 XLT 4x4
    4. sdh0001

sdh0001 New Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer 4.6L V8
      Yes I saw this post. Assuming is is the resister module is gives me enough info, but if I need a new blower motor do you know if there is a breakdown how to install it? In other words, does the whole dash have to come out? thanks

5. Claus

Claus Member

City, State:
      Ames, Iowa
      Year and Model:
      2003 V8 Eddi Bauer AWD
      I have the same/similar issue for a while on my 03 EB V8 with electronic climate control. The blower doesn't really blow until I turn it up all the way to high. In this really cold weather often the engine also needs to be warmed up a bit. On my car the air bag light dimly glows along with the other effects you saw. I haven't been able to track it down either but I can tell you it's a cold weather issue. In the summer you'll forget about it again until next fall. So far my car hasn't exploded because of it.

6. jsides

jsides New Member

City, State:
      Eugene, Oregon
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      Blower motor or resistor problem

I'm having an issue with my 2004 Explorer, the fan won't blow for the driver/passenger but the auxiliary fan for the back seats does work. So are there 2 blowers or what? My fan won't even blow on High. Here is the link to my original post
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316588

7. JChappy

JChappy New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      Year and Model:
      01 Sport Trac
      I had the same problem on my 01 sport trac. The fans would only work on the highest settings. It turned out to be the blower motor resister a 16 dollar part for me and a couple of hours time. I found a you tube video from 1AAuto.com that walked you through it. The resister was rusted out. Not hard to replace at all.

8. Rrunkle

Rrunkle New Member

Year and Model:
      2003 Limited
      Claus,

My 03 is having the exact same problem as yours with the airbag light also. See thread with my symptoms at the bottom.

I have NOT found the solution yet.

Rob