• Register Today It's free!

2004 XLT Eddie Bauer Trans No Go

Thomas Washer

Reaction score
City, State
Palmer, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Currently working a 2004 XLT EB 4.o engine with a 5r55s transmission with 115000 miles A/T.
We have no transmission codes but do have an engine safe mode ,P0581, P1000,P2104, P2111.
We have replaced the TB to cure run ability issue. Vehicle ran great for a week then engine safe mode
again and the trans would not move the car. Diagnosed to possible bad solenoid pack. We changed fluid and filter. Saw no metal shavings in pan just the normal fine dust. Read about the servo repairs and have not looked at them yet. Did replace solenoid pack to no avail.
Does the engine safe mode need fixed before tackling the tranny issues? Looking at rebuilding tranny due to
the mileage but it just revs up and no movement. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You either have an XLT or Eddie Bauer. Not both... However they are the exact same underneath for future reference.

Are there any other lights on like the wrench light or ABS ?

@Thomas Washer
I'm thinking the transmission is not at fault. Those other codes, especially the p0581, would not be present with transmission faults. However, faulty inputs from speed control switches can "tell" the PCM, incorrectly, to open the throttle. This can bring about dangerous situations. I believe the transmission is electronically being placed on "hold". You might try pulling the fuse(s) that feed the speed control, as a start. No luck, start looking at the speed control switch wiring, and switches themselves.

I don't remember the codes but here is what I went through . Had a throttle body code left and right rear abs code , brake pressure switch code and teams was in limp mode . Replaced throttle body and brake switch still same thing ( worked for a couple days) . Wound up replacing rear ABS switch and it's about 2 months now no problem

@Thomas Washer
I'm thinking the transmission is not at fault. Those other codes, especially the p0581, would not be present with transmission faults. However, faulty inputs from speed control switches can "tell" the PCM, incorrectly, to open the throttle. This can bring about dangerous situations. I believe the transmission is electronically being placed on "hold". You might try pulling the fuse(s) that feed the speed control, as a start. No luck, start looking at the speed control switch wiring, and switches themselves.
Sorry for late response but been spending a lot of time on unit. Just finished rebuilding and have same symptoms. Will look further into your suggestions. Thanks

Currently working a 2004 XLT EB 4.o engine with a 5r55s transmission with 115000 miles A/T.
We have no transmission codes but do have an engine safe mode ,P0581, P1000,P2104, P2111.
We have replaced the TB to cure run ability issue. Vehicle ran great for a week then engine safe mode
again and the trans would not move the car. Diagnosed to possible bad solenoid pack. We changed fluid and filter. Saw no metal shavings in pan just the normal fine dust. Read about the servo repairs and have not looked at them yet. Did replace solenoid pack to no avail.
Does the engine safe mode need fixed before tackling the tranny issues? Looking at rebuilding tranny due to
the mileage but it just revs up and no movement. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Update: Addressed the code issues and was able to clear all except the one relating to OBD II Diagnostic. Will complete that one once we are able to move car.
Rebuilt transmission due to excess miles. Reinstalled transmission same outcome. No Drive and no Rev. Going to look into some earlier electrical suggestions. Also this vehicle was converted to a right hand drive with a kit installed as it is used as a mail courier here in Alaska. Overdrive and Cruise Control were affected by the mod. Corrected these codes and was able to clear the codes.
Current code is the OBD II Diagnostic which can only be cleared when the vehicle is driven and diagnosed during that time.
Any input for correcting this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks

The 5R55S should have a forward and reverse engagement without any electrical controls present, you could unplug everything and it should still move in both directions. This sounds more like a line pressure issue or a stripped or broken input shaft. When you rebuilt the transmission did you take the pump apart? It could have broken the pump gears or the pump flow control valve could be stuck wide open. A line pressure gauge would be helpful in this situation or just remove the line pressure test port plug and start the vehicle, if it doesn't make a big mess then you have pump problems.

The 5R55S should have a forward and reverse engagement without any electrical controls present, you could unplug everything and it should still move in both directions. This sounds more like a line pressure issue or a stripped or broken input shaft. When you rebuilt the transmission did you take the pump apart? It could have broken the pump gears or the pump flow control valve could be stuck wide open. A line pressure gauge would be helpful in this situation or just remove the line pressure test port plug and start the vehicle, if it doesn't make a big mess then you have pump problems.

Yes the pump was taken apart and cleaned. Inspected both gears and noted no problems. Same with the pump control valve no issues noted, it compressed easily with no glitches.
I have a line pressure tester. Is the pressure supposed to be steady or fluctuate high then settle to around 80-120?
Input shaft also inspected. Not broke and splines looked in good shape. All drums fitted with new clutches. Replaced valve body gaskets and cleaned reverse servo. We have replaced the solenoid pack but not the valve body. The case had the servo bushing fix done previously. This unit was a remanufactured unit from Ford about 3 years ago.
Thanks for the assistance. Will try line pressure test again.

Added line pressure guage and get 225psi to 250 in drive and reverse. And 120 in park and neutral. Is this a Valve body issue?

You know now that I think about it I had one that did this and I got it to engage when we unplugged the transmission, so try that.

If it does engage then I would look at the MLPS switch (it was our culprit in our case), it could be sending the the wrong info to the computer such as always reading park. Test that be trying to crank the engine in drive or reverse or with a scanner that can read data.

I think imp was on the right track!

Back