2004 Ford Explorer Stuck in Limp Mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer Stuck in Limp Mode

aallenOR

Reaction score
City, State
LA PINE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hello,

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer stuck in limp mode after a motor swap. The new motor is a 2006 Ford Mustang 4.0.
Codes are showing a TPS issue but have swapped out TPS and entire throttle body.
Explorer is showing limp mode and idle mode.
No throttle response at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you running the factory or the Mustang TPS?

Are you running the factory or the Mustang TPS?
According to the part numbers they are the same. I have the original and the one that came off the old motor. Same results

Do you need to reset accelerator position sensor to new tps?
If that is required I have not done anything like this.

Update: I did just watch how to do this and I have discharged my system by disconnecting the negative battery cable and puting a jump wire from the positive to the negative cable. Sat like this for 5mins and restarted the vehicle.
No change still stuck in limp mode and no response from the throttle.

Try disconnecting map sensor and/or tps and see if it will start. You may need to do the reset procedure to clear limp mode before trying. The sensors that control air fuel mixture must work together. I'm tired so I don't know really how to make this make sense. Crazy as it sounds, just try it. I know of a case where a guy had tps codes, unplugged map sensor, and the truck started, but obviously wouldn't rev. But it's a step in the right direction to figuring out what to do next. With a motor swap, it is most likely a sensor or wiring, but not necessarily the tps, even though it thinks it is. Computer is failing to find acceptable values for mix and doesn't know what to do, thus the limp mode. Also, try cleaning the throttle body especially if it has been sitting a while. If it's got enough crap in it it will not allow proper idle air flow and could cause unacceptable flow for computer to determine idle mix.

Sorry disconnecting map sensor and/or maf sensor (not tps like my stupid brain said the first time lol). I'm really tired been up a long time, going to bed now.

Back