Completed Project - 5.0 swap - w/ 4406 | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 5.0 swap - w/ 4406

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Awesome build. I wonder what numbers you would get with that higher compression and more boost. Now that you have dyno'd it, it is time for a 1/4 run!

Its probably hidden in here somewhere but what gear ratio do you have?

no 1/4 mile run yet.. When I do I'll post the results. I have the 3.73 LS, I guess you start to loose rwhp on the dyno when your gear ratio goes higher than 3.08.

CDW, I agree for the most part. I am deffinately maxing that M90 out as it is.. I just don't want to drop another 9-10 grand in another supercharger worthy of 15psi or more.. I figured that's about what it would cost by the time I had everything custom made to mount a bigger super using the explorer pully offset, then I would have to change all the pullys to an 8 rib so the belt wouldn't slip with a bigger charger.. All doable but I think I'll just enjoy what I have for now.. I'm just a little sore that the guy that built my engine insisted on such low compression (I kept asking for higher and he advised against it).

The tuner said that the new ecoboost fords are running 10.25:1 and running 11 psi of boost (all compessated for by the computer and tuning). The new Cobra Mustangs run 9:1 with 15psi boost..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome build. I wonder what numbers you would get with that higher compression and more boost. Now that you have dyno'd it, it is time for a 1/4 run!

Its probably hidden in here somewhere but what gear ratio do you have?

Thanks by the way! The guy that dynoed it said if I pushed 15-18 psi boost then it would gain me 150 RWHP.. If the compression was around 9.5 - 10:1 and 15 psi boost, then it should be well into the mid 500's RWHP. The way it is now though it should run "forever" with no problems..

<=======

just remember who to call if you ever want to sell the blower, and everything with it :D

HAHA. ok I will! You'll be my first message/ email. That's the one thing about that kit, I don't think I'd have much trouble selling it..

Traction Bars!

Even with the stock V8 traction bars the wheel hop was too bad to leave it alone. I invested in a set of CalTracs traction bars from Calvert Racing in California.

Install went really smooth. Hardest part was taking the leaf springs off and having the aluminum bushing pressed into the front eye (I had a local spring shop do that for me).

I am very impressed with the results, no more wheel hop and pure power off the line. It drifts like a king as well ;)

100_0160_zps7de74f9c.jpg

Calvert modified a set of stock explorer shock mounts
100_0162_zps33d0e502.jpg

A machinist friend of mine slotted the bushings to help retain grease
100_0163_zps9dd70dc4.jpg

100_0166_zps19d13031.jpg

100_0169_zps04bf3d25.jpg

100_0167_zpsf55efc74.jpg

I would recommend these to anyone!

Bummer that it limits ground clearance and articulation, but that is not a concern for your application. Looks perfect for that!

I like it, and the axles, and the diff cover too.:thumbsup:

Here is the MPG report... I have around 3,000 miles on it now and have been averaging about 11-12 around town - not being easy on it. I took a 700 mile trip over the weekend and averaged about 15mpg on the highway at 70mph.. on premium.. Good thing it's a toy!!

Ouch, and I'm wishing I was farther along to have a new engine in, to gain mileage. My stock 182k truck is still running around the 14mpg mark. I blame the heavy 18" wheels that I've had since about 2006.

What compression do you have in your 347 again?

It's only 8.33:1 and I have those 17" rims as well. The guy that ended up tunning it didn't set my torque converter to lock up until 55mph so I know that hurts the city mileage..

Ah, those are probably the efficiency issue. Jon had about 10:1 with his 347, and he got very good mileage with it.

I would have the tune adjusted to lock the converter more often, that will help a good bit. My truck is still stock and the trans with high mileage is beginning to be confused about what gear to be in around 40-50mph, or whether to be in lock up. I feel the "stumble/stutter" and ease off the gas while hitting the OD button. It does fine with more throttle to force a lower gear, but that is more throttle than I want or used to use. So making it drop to 3rd at those speeds(common for pinging), makes it happy. I'll get to building my new 4R soon, after my mother's death I've been lazy/sad.

Yeah I have no doubt that's my problem, but for my purposes I think I'm not going to mess with it for a while. It's a lot of fun the way it is and the only thing it can't walk all over is the newest style of mustangs with the coyote 5.0.. I have friends with 04-08 F-150's who aren't over 300hp that can't get better than 11mpg in town and 16-17 on the highway..

For my money, I think I'll live with the low compression and learn from the experience for now :)

The tuning is a small last step. Get with your tuner some day, or James here to tweak it a bit when you have time. Enjoy it though, of course. That has got to be a blast every day you drive it.:salute:

i wonder if this can be done on a 2001 sport

i wonder if this can be done on a 2001 sport

sure. Only difference is that you will have to use the manual 4406 transfercase due to the shorter wheel base. Everything else would be the same.

sure. Only difference is that you will have to use the manual 4406 transfercase due to the shorter wheel base. Everything else would be the same.

Mine is rear wheel drive, plus i would rather put a T5 or a built AOD. The issue I'm having is with the power, i want to lower it two or three inches and finding the right, proper parts.

Rear wheel drive is even easier. The AOD is any older version of the 4R70W. It is basically the same trans only fully electronic with the wide ratio gears. Any V8 Explorer computer from the same year as your truck would be cabable of running the 4R70W.

Rear wheel drive is even easier. The AOD is any older version of the 4R70W. It is basically the same trans only fully electronic with the wide ratio gears. Any V8 Explorer computer from the same year as your truck would be cabable of running the 4R70W.

I'm a mustang enthusiast so I'm tAre you aware of how difficult it will be to put a T5 in there, should be easier to have manual trans since there's no automatic trans to worry about. Only problem i see is installing the clutch system

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

J-mod

I successfully executed the J-mod on my transmission this weekend. I followed posts on the TCCOA forum and on the crownvic.net forum. TOCCA & CrownVic I'm not sure if you need an account for the crown vic forum or not, I borrowed an friends account.

I drilled all the holes out to the max recommended for 450hp and upgraded all the internals of the valve body to the most current parts. I also upgraded the 1-2 accumulator spring to the one used in 5.4L transmissions along with pressure control solenoid used in later model transmissions which increases trans pressures from a 200psi max to a 220psi max. Also, I took the springs out completely on the bottom of the 1-2 & the 2-3 accumulators so help it shift evey quicker.

I am very pleased with the results. I made adjustments to decrease the time it takes to shift in reverse, it is instantanious now. The shifts are very quick but not harsh at all. It doesn't seem to slip at all between gears but at the same time the shifts don't feel or sound like they are slamming the internals. :thumbsup: It could be the tunning I have for the transmission that is helping that as well.

Back