5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport

Sorry guys. It has been hard to get myself motivated to finish the write-up, especially since I have been pretty busy with school and work. I have been thinking of creating my own website where I could host the write-up and all of the images, in addition to other how-to articles I create after doing other small projects.

The vehicle has been on the road running in full since the first week of January 2007. I haven't really had any major problems but I am looking to get the motor to run better. I think I may have James do some tuning work in the spring/summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sohc out, waiting to pick up a wrecked 98 mountaineer I just bought. the 4liter timing tensioners decided they didn't want to work anymore! I pulled the engine to fix it but quickly changed my mind. I have never seen a more F-ed up design for an engine in my life!!!:thumbdwn:

This project is the easy one. I want to hear about the remote start and the blue LED's more!!!

A. Because I was joking

B. Because I have a 5.0 Mountaineer that doesn't need a 5.0 swap. My signature is over a year old.

A. Because I was joking

B. Because I have a 5.0 Mountaineer that doesn't need a 5.0 swap. My signature is over a year old.

UPDATE THEN!! BAH!!

Lol, sorry

A. Because I was joking

You need to trade that for a Pontiac, LOL.

that is a huge project to get done in a week, even having everything side by side.

CHAD551, i'm not sure if you were directing your post towards me. I am a-hole deep in the swap as we speak. So far the hardest part was towing the doner truck 80 miles with no front wheel or hub assembly. The drive train is out of both trucks and I am going to start on the wiring tom.

Okay so someday I want to swap a 302 and a manual trans into my sport. definately not anytime soon as the SOHC works fine for now, and I would have no idea where to start (yet anyway, but hopefully will soon).

But what exactly has to be done with the wiring with the engine swap? I know it's different between the v6 and v8 but in what aspects...

CHAD551, i'm not sure if you were directing your post towards me. I am a-hole deep in the swap as we speak. So far the hardest part was towing the doner truck 80 miles with no front wheel or hub assembly. The drive train is out of both trucks and I am going to start on the wiring tom.

Yes I was directing towards you. I would like to see what is involved with this swap..

Thanks,
Chad

Yeah, in the end it took me about a week and a half with 2 days lost with Christmas. So approximately 9-10 days. There was a lot of preparation and I didn't have that many problems. I spent so much time planning that I knew what I had to do even though I had never done it before. I was driving it on new years eve, fully functional.

We are almost at the 1 year anniversary folks! haha Maybe I should commemorate it by finishing my write-up that I promised! lol

Me too Eric, I've got about 18k on my truck now. I should finish my thread also, I wanted to have the air system and running boards on first.

You V8 swap guys get some write up's done yet? Or you could even email me what you have so far....

Thanks,
Chad

Thanks Jon!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Happy B-day Eric

Back