• Register Today It's free!

Power steering pipe layout.

Domo

Reaction score
City, State
Reigate
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOHC
Hi, I've just replaced a power steering rack in my 97 4.0 SOHC Explorer and, due to the idiots that supplied me with one from a breaker vehicle, I've had to replace pipes that were cut off, I think they removed it with an air chisel! foolishly I have forgotten which way round the two larger pipes, to the cooler, are positioned, top or bottom of p/s to where on the cooler, would a kind person please post a pic of the layout, either a photo or diagram would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Domo.

Hope these help you out. IDK if it's the same as yours.
These pics are from mine in my sig. I'm glad I looked under there,
I got a little leak starting that I'll be working on tomorrow.
4i7Kui5.jpg
zTRGQIH.jpg
nPB4Qfw.jpg

4i7Kui5.jpg
zTRGQIH.jpg
nPB4Qfw.jpg
4i7Kui5.jpg
zTRGQIH.jpg
nPB4Qfw.jpg
Thank you very much, invaluable info and very much appreciated and the old beast is back up and running thanks to you. I will post the details on how it all went, but would say, if your thinking of replacing a power steering rack, allow a couple of days, endless frustration, loss of knuckle skin and don't use Ford Spares breakers for the part, they butchered mine. Good luck with your leak and let me know if you need any info. Thanks again, Domo.

Glad I could be of some help.
I went under there today and cleaned it all up, can't see it leaking anywhere (gotta be a real small leak) no fluid loss in the reservoir, I'll keep an eye on it, if it does still show signs of leaking I'll replace it, rockauto sells the return line fairly cheap.
Good Luck with your rack and pinion.

Back