'94 Transmission Fluid Leak... Overfill. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 Transmission Fluid Leak... Overfill.

jray95

Reaction score
City, State
Arbovale, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hey everyone. I did a search for this issue and came up with mixed results. I just changed my transmission filter & gasket. I added fluid but I overfilled it. Probably by 1 to 1.5 quarts. Anyhow, after about 50 miles round trip today I noticed a bunch of fluid on the back hatch/glass. Then I looked underneath and saw a bunch under there too. All over the place but mostly on the driver's side... all over the front driveshaft mostly.

The mixed results I've found involve damage to the tranny from overfill. Some threads said "overfilling is VERY bad and you probably blew out the front seal". Other threads said "no worries... that's a myth... it'll overflow out of the vent". So which is which? Am I screwed or did it (hopefully) just overflow out of the vent? It still shifts fine but it was leaking pretty bad.

I did drain out about a quart and drove it around a little bit and haven't seen any new drips yet. Whaddaya think??

Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vented it.

The pump creates the pressure. A larger reservoir does not increase the pump output. You COULD argue that the extra fluid might impede drainback and increase pressures but I doubt that theory has ever been or will be proven. My take and those of knowledgeable folks I trust is simple...Forget blowing seals. What an overfill does is increase the chance of foaming and aeration... not an ideal thing to have happen but far better than too little fluid. I will repeat what I understand to be the truth, a slight overfill will not hurt anything. Quart and a half?... I'd say you definitely churned and foamed, and I am betting also vented. How does the level look now ?

ps. a blown seal drips through the bellhousing. What you describe is classic vent tube overflow distribution of the fluid.

ive dont that once and mine just pushed the extra out the vent

Excellent. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I might be alright.

I drained out about a quart yesterday evening and drove another 50 miles round trip today and I don't think there's any new leakage. Hard to say from all the wet spots from yesterday though! Definitely no bigtime dripping like yesterday.

Thanks again!!

Just clean your paint pretty good...wash it a couple of times, maybe the first time with liquid Dawn dishwashing detergent, followed by regular car wash.

Back