98 expo 5.0 in 02 ranger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 expo 5.0 in 02 ranger

If the TPS was for sure sending a high signal at idle dropping low with more throttle, you had serious drive-ability issues to say the least. Get the TPS straightened out and I bet you smile.
10-4. I'll try the new tps and see if that fixes it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle. I replaced that sensor with a new one. I can't get voltage below 1.2 volts at idle. Tried backing off on screw even though it looked like it was in factory position. Haven't tried too drive it yet. Just wanted to ask and get feedback. Thanks guys for all the help.

The 1.2v at idle might be fine, that's just odd to see that. Do you know if the idle screw has been touched, ever? That's a never adjust screw, there's a special procedure to set that, and if it's moved, that creates problems(like the TPS being off).

What did you do with the ABS wiring, what ABS module are you using, and how is the VSS routed? The VSS signal is the biggest problem when swapping a 98-01 Explorer PCM system into a non-Explorer. The VSS is expected to go from the diff/ABS sensor, to the Explorer ABS module, and then to the PCM and speedometer. I don't know what the G-force sensor has to do with engine operation, that's another odd issue mentioned about these computers.

The 1.2v at idle might be fine, that's just odd to see that. Do you know if the idle screw has been touched, ever? That's a never adjust screw, there's a special procedure to set that, and if it's moved, that creates problems(like the TPS being off).

What did you do with the ABS wiring, what ABS module are you using, and how is the VSS routed? The VSS signal is the biggest problem when swapping a 98-01 Explorer PCM system into a non-Explorer. The VSS is expected to go from the diff/ABS sensor, to the Explorer ABS module, and then to the PCM and speedometer. I don't know what the G-force sensor has to do with engine operation, that's another odd issue mentioned about these computers.
I used a Dakota digital for vss. Tied sensor wiring into input and grey black wire to output. That should be good now. Tps was backwards now it's facing the way it should according to signal output voltage. Transmission fluid is good. Range sensor is good. I was just wondering about the voltage at idle at this point. I know I read it should be around 1v. Wot reads 4.68 volts so that's good.

You can Dremel out the holes on the tps sensor and make them slotted to give you more adjustment. Just make sure it stays centered on the throttle shaft. I had to do this on my ported throttle body.

Thanks boomin. If it runs I'll leave it alone. If it acts funny I'll adjust it that way until I can get right under the 1v

Thanks boomin. If it runs I'll leave it alone. If it acts funny I'll adjust it that way until I can get right under the 1v

The computer sets its idle voltage from the TPS each time the engine is started. The actual figure isn't really important, since the PCM does math and calculates throttle opening based on the linear voltage range, with the TPS idle voltage being the base or zero level. The voltage curve being very smooth and linear is critical, the idle voltage isn't.

Alright. I took it down the road. It feels like it shifts once still no power after it shifts. Engine will rev upwards of 4k before I let off the gas bc it isn't going anywhere. It will shift on jack stands good. Also engine stalls when slowing down to pull into a church parking lot to come home. It doesn't stall at the stop sign in between though.

I'm using the Dakota digital. Power on with key on, ground wire, red/pink wire as signal in, green/black as signal ground, output 3 for grey/black wire which should be an output of 8000 ppm a.c. the guy from Dakota digital says a two wire sensor is a sine wave but everything I read on the forums are we have a square wave. I'm confused. I'm right in that I need 8000 ppm a.c. and not oc right?

You need the 8K O.C output on the dakota digital, I think it's output 2.

Which dakota digital unit are you using? An 8.8" rear gives 108 pulses per revolution. A 235/75-15 tire for example will roll at 720 revs per mile so in a mile it would produce 108 x 720 = 77,760 pulses so H-H.

Output 4 is half of output 2 if the cal ratio won't correct the signal. My experience was on the one with dip switches.

I'll check that Monday when I get another chance to mess with it. Thanks for the help. If you think of anything else let me know

It hadn't but I did mess with it trying to get that signal voltage down below 1.2v I backed off a few turns and it didn't change

It hadn't but I did mess with it trying to get that signal voltage down below 1.2v I backed off a few turns and it didn't change

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idle issues will be due to the idle screw moved from the one spot where it's supposed to be.

The TPS idle voltage is not critical, the idle screw location is critical.

Back