99 Ford Explorer with no reverse gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer with no reverse gear.

joe.o

Reaction score
City, State
rochester ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer xpl
any one can help me i have to install a transmission on my 99 ford it wont go back words but it will drive for words.help please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

joe- what sort of help do you need? Do you have the transmission already, or are you looking for one?

99 for explorer

i dont know how to take a trany out and no i dont have a trany yet what is ur price and can u give some detail on how to take it out

Well, in all honesty, if you don't have any idea what you're doing down there, I'd take it to a shop. I would find a small independant shop that will install a trans that you bring to them- save teh markup by not letting them buy it for you... You can search through www.car-part.com to find a transmission (used) to replace yours with. But you'll have to do some searching on the forum for directions to do a swap by yourself, it has been documented a few times.

99 for explorer

thanks for the help but i do have to say i have the money to by the trany but dont have the money to take it to a shop i would have to do it my self.could u give me advice and may be walk me threw it.

99 for explorer

do u think it is thr reverse band on my trany my gord will drive for word but when i go to put it in reverse it wont go back words it must be the band.what could be wrong with it.

99 for explorer

its 4 wheel drive and yes i check my fluid and it dont need no more fluid.and no i dont have manual first gear.

99 for explorer

where is the low and reverse servo and the o ring and what is a servo i dont no much about trany.

I suggest that you read the sticky thread in the transmission section called the 5R55E rebuild diary. The low/reverse servo is a piston that engages the low/reverse band. The O rings are around it to make a seal.

ok how will i konw if thats what causing my truck not to go in reverse. dose my truck have a pressure sensor.

ok. now if i buy the tranie off car parts ,com will i have to send my old one befor i get my use one i search around but could it finde anything on it.

car-part.com is really just a search engine which shows a bunch of different junkyards and parts resellers that have the parts you're looking for. It will depend on the place you buy a transmission from as to if they will want your old transmission or not. When you call them, you'll have to ask them if they require it. Also, most of the places on there will ship also, if that is needed...

hey do u know of anyone that is selling a cheap tranie for my 99 ford xpl or do think i can find one for about 100.00 to 200.00 with out a core

joe how hard do u think it would be if i put the reverse band in my self what would i have to take out on the traine to do i know i have to drop the traine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where can i go on line to see how its done or is there any books i can read up on

Back