A Chevy Man About To Buy A Ford? Again? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Chevy Man About To Buy A Ford? Again?

I promised pics...

The problem was the thermostat. Took about an hour to do the fix, mainly because of the wire loom that runs next to that third bolt, but the temperature stays dead straight up between C and H. Perfect. The car drives just fine, nice idle, 4-wheel drive works, the A/C works, all the lights...just about everything. It even has a nice, high-end Alpine head unit and a huge amp in the back (I let him keep the sub, I'll replace it).

Went to the boneyard and picked-up some parts but they didn't have the driver's-side door panel. Not sure where I'm going to find one. Looks like crap without it and I hate the electrical pieces just hanging there:

door.jpg

There are a couple of other problems I would like to fix. The first one has to do with the driver's side strut that holds up the rear hatch (not the glass). The top mounting bracket has been ripped out, so there's no strut. I bought a couple of struts at the boneyard, not knowing about the ripped out bracket, and was pretty bummed to find the bracket missing. I'm going to have to figure out how to put something there (it was spot-welded from the factory). One strut cannot hold up the rear hatch.

Here's the good mount:

good_mount.jpg

And here's the ripped one:

bad_mount.jpg

The other problem has to do with the thing the passenger-side hatch latch actually latches to - the big post. There's supposed to be some nylon sleeve that can rotate around that post but it's missing, so the rear hatch does not close properly.

Here's the good latch:

good_latch.jpg

And the bad one:

bad_latch.jpg

So I guess I still have some work to do. But I still have a solid 4x4 for $500, so I'm very pleased about that.

Here are some general pics:

front_qtr_dr.jpg

rear_qtr_pa.jpg

interior_front.jpg

interior_rear.jpg

hubs.jpg

Damage on the passenger-side door:

damage.jpg

Well there you have it. Looks like you'll be seeing more of me around here as I try to fix my new ride. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the other side.

Looks like a nice truck and you've got the Manual t-case (one lesser problem). Does that got the factory fog lights?

Looks like a nice truck and you've got the Manual t-case (one lesser problem). Does that got the factory fog lights?

Thanks and yeah, I like the manual trans. Haven't had one in years.

It does have fog lights but they're broken and all but gone. Small, thinnish, rectangular ones. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to see about replacing those and finding the switch for them in the interior - I don't remember seeing it.

It should be under the rear window defroster switch its a section of 3buttons

Here I just circled where the button should be
interior_front.jpg

Hey, thanks! I remember seeing those three last night. Cool, I'll just re-use that switch. I took measurements of the light socket area and it looks like the max width is 6" and height is 2.5". I remember renting an Explorer that had dealer-installed (?) fog lights that were round.

Was it a second gen? I don't remember explorers having stock round fog lights until the 99explorer.

Was it a second gen? I don't remember explorers having stock round fog lights until the 99explorer.

Yeah, it was a second gen, as I recall. I remember seeing lots of square lights and our rental had round. Like I said, maybe a dealer-installed option rather than a factory option?

I picked up some driving lights today, nothing fancy, just something to fill the holes that have the rusted, broken lights. I might get to it today, I don't think so though, I'm installing a power antenna in my father's Olds and it's a pain the the @$$.

<<update>>

Just an update...

Been driving the Expo every day and it still runs great. Mileage runs 18 - 19.5 so far.

I fixed the missing top bracket that holds the (driver's side) gas-charged rod that keeps the hatch up. It's so nice to lift the thing and not have to use a piece of wood to hold it up.

I installed some driving lights in factory location and used the switch that x92Exploder pointed out.

I can't explain why but I really love this Expo....

Cool, awesome ya like it. Have you used the 4X4 yet?

Bonus! In no time she'll be all spiffed up.

BTW- you're not a Chevy guy- you're a closet Ford guy... :D

go to lmctrucks.com and u can find just about ever thing u need for ur explorer or any rbv.....and u can get it a lil cheaper then any where esle

The Chevy Man bought a Merc! WTF?

I'm a new member....again!

Well, first I bought the Explorer for me...and we liked it so much we just bought a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Luxury 5DR 4.0/A5 AWD for my wife!

Sheesh. Someone take my temperature.

This thing has all kinds of wacky tech sh*t in it but it's very comfortable and very cool.

merc_01.jpg

merc_02.jpg

merc_03.jpg

merc_04.jpg

merc_05.jpg

Obviously my wife is happy about this:

barbara.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:thats a nice looking merc. same as me an my wifes explores ,we both have lawn chairs in the back for tailgating.

Back