Foxracin's 1991 Exploder | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Year : 1991
Model: Explorer
State: North Carolina
City: Mount Holly

Just picked up this Exploder last week. Its not in the best of shape but overall its decent. The motor runs great and the body has very few dents and dings.

When I got it the trans was out like every other a4ld. I am a 5 speed guy myself and was planning to convert to 5 speed anyway.

First thing and did is check the fluid in the trans. Nice and red, full, and doesnt smell burnt. Pulled one of the lines at the radiator and fired it up and no fliud. Nothing at all. Pulled the pressure plug in the side of the trans and fired it up to make sure the lines were not stopped up somewhere and still nothing so I knew something wasnt right with the pump.

Got it home and put it on some jack stands and started tearing out the trans.
explorer2.jpg

explorer.jpg

Got the trans out and pulled the torque converter out and found some scaring on the snout. Thats not supposed to be like that. lol
broketrans3.jpg

Pulled the bellhousing off then the pump from the bellhousing and theres the problem. One of the pump gears cracked and spread the teeth apart and locked up and spun on the torque converter.
broketrans.jpg

broketrans2.jpg

Oh well time to throw it in the scrap pile. Dont want to spend the money on it again not even know if the rest of the trans is good and for it to just break again. I figured I could swap in a 5 speed for not much more then fixing the a4ld.

Figured I would mess with the inside a little while I try to find a trans.

Put in a Sony headunit. Ran new speaker wires and used the internal amp after 2 stock amps were not right. Soldered all the connections and ran new speaker wire and its good as new.
explorer7.jpg

Put it in a Midland CB I had laying around.
explorer6.jpg

Overall shot of the interior.
explorer4.jpg

Then I figured I would ride over the the Pull-A-Part to see if I could run across anything. Sure enough ran across a 1992 5 speed Exploder. But somebody already robbed the trans and starter. Figured I would go ahead and get what I could off it. Got the computer, Manual trans wiring harness, pedals, and Master cylinder(when they got the trans they cut the line so it wasnt useable). Still had the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate still on it too but I didnt have the money for it right then.

So I came home and started swapping out some stuff.

Manual trans wiring harness.
explorer9.jpg

Swapped computers and moved it to behind the glove compartment to get it a little higher.
explorer5.jpg

Swapped the pedals. I left the pedal assembly in and just changed out the brake pedal and put the clutch pedal on. It was aggravating but definitely beats pulling the dash out to change the entire assembly.
explorer8.jpg

Went back the next day to Pull-A-Part to get the clutch and flywheel and all that good stuff crawled under it and somebody done took the clutch and pressure plate. So I missed out on that. Went ahead and pulled the flywheel off though. It looked fairly new.
explorer10.jpg

Pile of junk parts I have pulled off so far. lol It keeps getting bigger.
explorer3.jpg

Thats where I am at so far. Need to scrounge up some money to get me a trans and a few other pieces and I should be set.

For now I will probably just do a body lift and coil spacers and shackles for now with some 33's or 34's after I get it on the road.

Then save up for the d44 SAS down the road.

Ill keep this thread updated as I get some more work done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Where did you get the F250 brake lines from and how much???

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...Where did you get the F250 brake lines from and how much???

Autozone.

They were like $19 and some change a side. Just tell them its for a 2000 F250 4x4 with rear wheel abs and manual hubs. That is if you need the weird fitting on the driver side at the top that on a 91-92.

If you have a 93-94 that doesnt have that fitting tell them its a 4 wheel abs and manual hubs.

...Were those in stock on the shelves???...The reason I ask as I'm looking for some for the front of my 95 Ranger and it would be easier to match them up if they do have them in stock...

..AZ is just now starting to promote order online and pickup in store...I have found they are not stocking as much at the store...:(

...Thanks a bunch as that helps save a bunch of time...:biggthump

..Did you order your C-clip eliminator springs from Echo??

Yea, there Echo springs. Called the local Echo dealer and they had 2 in stock so I picked both of them up. It surprised me that they had them in stock.

Got the shaft collars from Fastenal.

where did you get the clamps for the C clip eliminator?

Yea, there Echo springs. Called the local Echo dealer and they had 2 in stock so I picked both of them up. It surprised me that they had them in stock.

Got the shaft collars from Fastenal.

oh wow....duno how i overlooked that one

Haha. You can get shaft collars from many different places. Probably somebody around you that has them in stock. Just tell them you need a 1-3/8" inside diameter. Outside doesnt matter.

Ordered some 55w 4500k HID's yesterday. Going to give the HID's a try. It will be my first set ever.

May convert the lights over on my rack to HID also if I like the headlights.

Found a set of nice clear headlights at the junkyard. Funny thing is the whole front end was destroyed on it in a crash except the headlights. Just on of the back backing pieces was broke all up so I just replaced it with one of mine. Worked fine.
light5.jpg

Put a light in my box and put a door switch on it.
light.jpg

light3.jpg

Nite shaded the tails. Not sure if I like it or not though.
light4.jpg

Overall shot of the front now.
light6.jpg

Getting everything ready for the lift install and diff swap. Ran into a problem putting the front air locker in could get the backlash right and found out it calls for a different bearing on one side so I got the right bearing for it this weekend so I should get it together this coming week. Made some guessets for the drop bracket.
light2.jpg

I shouldnt break it now. But we shall see.

Love your setup! I was running 31" TSLs for a while, they pull great in the mud. It seems like you make short work of any project you choose to undertake. keep it up!

Finished getting both my diffs put together today. Going to swap them out and swap lifts out starting tomorrow night and finish up Saturday if all goes well.

Front D35 with 4.56 and ARB
locker3.jpg

Rear 8.8 with 4.56 and Aussie
locker4.jpg

Finished getting the lift and diffs swapped out yesterday. Havent got the body lift taken off yet so it looks kind of goofy with 31's. There is actually a little negative camber so I will probably put the coil spacers back on the front and pull the body lift and see how it sits then.

lifton13.jpg

lifton14.jpg

lifton2.jpg

lifton3.jpg

Driver side f-250 brake line
lifton4.jpg

Passenger side f-250 brake line
lifton7.jpg

Air line going to front diff
lifton.jpg

Radius arm drop bracets temporarily
lifton10.jpg

Shocks and springs
lifton5.jpg

Rear end setup
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Foxracin/1991 Explorer/?action=view&current=lifton8.jpg

Also got my HIDS yesterday and just got them put on earlier today. They seem pretty bright just have to wait until it gets dark to see. The seem like a good quality set but I dont really know this is my first set ever.

Ballasts
hid4.jpg

hid2.jpg

Wiring harness and controller for high/low
hid.jpg

Lights on kind of hard to get a pics of in day light
hid3.jpg

Ill get some picture of them tonight when it gets dark.

Got the money saved up to get a set of 33's. Got to find somebody that has the 33x12.50x15 BFG km2's though. Everybody seems to be out of stock of them.

Well we got a problem. I finally saved up the money to buy a new set of bigger tires and NOBODY has or can get the BFG KM2's for like a month. Sucks. When you finally got the money to get something you can never find it but when you dont have the money there everywhere. May have a lead on a used set so if it works out I will still have a set.

What is the matter with your 31's? Are you going to sell them?

Back