A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update

My issues re-appeared again so its back to the dealer and they are going to wipe the APIM clean and do a completely new install of v3.5.1

Whats really odd is while driving a demo Sport for the past 10 days the iPhone5 worked flawlessly with the Sport MFT, not a single issue.

Compared software versions and they were identical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FMT v3.5.1---UGH!

My 2011 Explorer goes back to Ford tomorrow to check the FMT.
The 3.5.1 update, installed on March 6 is terrible. The Nav is frequently lost, showing the icon over a mile away from the road I'm driving on. I can go miles with no GPS at all. I tried to use it for a short 15 mile route the other day. It took 12 miles of driving in open country before the icon found the road I was on.

If I turn the ignition off with the radio "ON", sometimes it comes back on when I restart the engins and sometimes it doesn't. I have to turn it on manually.

Sometines I feel air coming through the vents even when the climate control is "OFF". If I turn it ON then OFF, the airflow stops.

On the positive side, the voice recognition is working far better in this version than it did in the last two. But that doesn't mean too much if the GPS fails in the middle of an intricate series of turns!

I wish the Nav worked as well as my 6 year old Garmin!

My 2011 Explorer goes back to Ford tomorrow to check the FMT.
The 3.5.1 update, installed on March 6 is terrible. The Nav is frequently lost, showing the icon over a mile away from the road I'm driving on. I can go miles with no GPS at all. I tried to use it for a short 15 mile route the other day. It took 12 miles of driving in open country before the icon found the road I was on.

If I turn the ignition off with the radio "ON", sometimes it comes back on when I restart the engins and sometimes it doesn't. I have to turn it on manually.

Sometines I feel air coming through the vents even when the climate control is "OFF". If I turn it ON then OFF, the airflow stops.

On the positive side, the voice recognition is working far better in this version than it did in the last two. But that doesn't mean too much if the GPS fails in the middle of an intricate series of turns!

I wish the Nav worked as well as my 6 year old Garmin!

Sounds like you have a Lemon Law action.......take lots of video and document, document, document.

FMT v3.5.1---UGH! UPDATE

I picked up the Explorer from Syosset Ford yesterday afternoon after they worked on 3 issues with the MFT. They updated the software for the entertainment system and for the HVAC system plus did a master reset on the MFT itself. The Service Manager said that none of those known issues are covered by the warrantee (my 2011 Explorer has 45K miles on it). But because they all popped up after the system upgrade, done on 3/6/13, and are apparently related to that work, the dealer did not charge me for their work. He said all Ford dealers are running into the same problem, but it’s not fair to put the customer between Ford and the dealers. While some dealers are charging to do the upgrades for vehicles out of warrantee, customers who complain to Ford are usually reimbursed for the charges.
It’s too soon to tell if the MFT is working properly. Time will ytell!
-Steve-

Followed someones advice from an earlier post and Ive gotten my sync to work every time since i deleted it and reset mft.

How? When I went to reconnect it, did not connect my phone to MFT, I made MFT search and find my phone and connect that way. So far it has worked nearly perfectly. On one occasion it connected but I could not control my music, still played though.:thumbsup:

I'm glad the reverse pairing helped, Va_SHO. Let me know if you experience any other issues.

My issues re-appeared again so its back to the dealer and they are going to wipe the APIM clean and do a completely new install of v3.5.1

Whats really odd is while driving a demo Sport for the past 10 days the iPhone5 worked flawlessly with the Sport MFT, not a single issue.

Compared software versions and they were identical.

I sent you a PM; check it out when you get a chance. :)

I picked up the Explorer from Syosset Ford yesterday afternoon after they worked on 3 issues with the MFT. They updated the software for the entertainment system and for the HVAC system plus did a master reset on the MFT itself. The Service Manager said that none of those known issues are covered by the warrantee (my 2011 Explorer has 45K miles on it). But because they all popped up after the system upgrade, done on 3/6/13, and are apparently related to that work, the dealer did not charge me for their work. He said all Ford dealers are running into the same problem, but it’s not fair to put the customer between Ford and the dealers. While some dealers are charging to do the upgrades for vehicles out of warrantee, customers who complain to Ford are usually reimbursed for the charges.
It’s too soon to tell if the MFT is working properly. Time will ytell!
-Steve-

How's everything working now, Steve?

Rebecca

Where is IVT at on getting AppLink on MFT? I just got my explorer on the misguided thought that AppLink worked on MFT and figured out otherwise. :(

Alternatively, build apps in MFT that will use the cellular link, maybe? (My MFT connects to my phone via bluetooth for internet)

Where is IVT at on getting AppLink on MFT? I just got my explorer on the misguided thought that AppLink worked on MFT and figured out otherwise. :(

Alternatively, build apps in MFT that will use the cellular link, maybe? (My MFT connects to my phone via bluetooth for internet)

Its not coming. Trust me. Explorers won't get app link till the new generation.

Its not coming. Trust me. Explorers won't get app link till the new generation.

Why do you say that? I'm not really doubting you, but wondering?

It would seem that MFT is technically capable, so what would be the reason it would take new hardware?

Why do you say that? I'm not really doubting you, but wondering?

It would seem that MFT is technically capable, so what would be the reason it would take new hardware?

My guess is that is has more to so with cross-marketing agreements between Ford and Sirius than it does about technology.

You are not going to purchase a Sirius music subscription if you are streaming music through Pandora. Or at least, that is what they might believe. All bald-faced guessing my me of course.

According to Rebecca, applink is coming to 2013 Explorers

According to Rebecca, applink is coming to 2013 Explorers
Just curious as why just 2013 Explorers since all of the 5th generation models with MFT are running on the same software? :scratch:

Peter

MFT Master Reset Rationale

Hey group,

Like many of you, I have been starting to experience some buggy issues with the infotainment system. Ie. Nav slow to load, phone calls that continue to elapse time even after hanging up (and phone shut off for that matter), Services connection hit and miss, etc.

Well, I had lunch with my friend that works for Ford (who's X-plan I used) and he gave me some info that makes sense. He said that there is in fact a glitch in the programming code that deals with smart phones and their integration with the system. Apparently, when you get into the car the phone will auto pair as its supposed to. The problem is that when you first pair it, it will auto-download your contacts, when you leave the car and get back in, it will see (let's say you have 200 contacts) your 200 contacts and through auto-download it will see an additional 200 contacts. Over time, the system may reach into the tens of thousands of contacts, significantly slowing the system and creating other problems while it is trying to process this glitch. So when you test drive a new car, the system has an empty cache and works fine, but over time.....

So, here's what seemed to work so far (I have 3000 miles on my 4 month old SilverSport). Conducted a Master Reset, unpaired my iPhone 4 (and forgot Sync from the device), after the Master Reset repaired the phone, synced my contacts, then went into settings and DISABLED auto-download phone book.

First of all, a mild pain to do a Master Reset because you lose all your settings, but it feels like I am setting up a new car again so kind of fun. Next, if you add contacts to your phone the only way to have them in the system is to manually sync them through Settings.

If this info has already been posted somewhere in here I apologize for claiming it to be new, but thought this might help some of us. As far as a FIX, my buddy indicated software engineers are "working on it."

Best of luck!

Todd

...any idea if you could actually see the multiple contacts, or ?....
so if following your example, would I be able to see 400 contacts in the MFT address book?

From the way I understand it, there are only the "200" contacts and that is all you see, but the system continues to keep downloading them repeatedly

I was told similar information about the "Auto Download" phonebook feature causing problems. It was recommended to me by IVT to shut that feature off.

Well I looked today, so in the settings for the Address Book
are the options to:
  • Auto download - on or off.
  • Delete phone book;
  • Download phone book again;

Anyone experiencing issues with their phone/car sync, after troubleshooting the typical items, should maybe try deleting their address book from the car,
especially if it is large, before trying a Mreset or removing a battery cable.

I turned off auto address book download to be on the safe side.
(My MFT phone book is still showing in the car, it didnt go away or change.)

Its not really necessary to keep downloading it (?)
unless you make changes to it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Owners manual - 4th printing, pg 449:
"Select Off to NOT download your phonebook every time your phone connects to Sync.
Your phonebook, call history, & text messages can only be accessed when your specific phone is connected to Sync.
NOTE-Downloading times are phone-and-quantity dependent."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Something to look at when you sync your phone and then after - you begin to have issues with MFT;
If suddenly MFT isnt responding to your phone or other commands, but was fine until this last phone sync - look at your phone while this is now ongoing.

See if your phone is responsive or not, especially the BT applets.

(sometimes my phone will act up and I can tell from the connection icons)

'Connected' can mean a few different things on my device as an example.

a.-connected - phone shows BT hands free icon;
MFT shows name of phone;
MFT shows icons for 911, battery, and signal - this is fully connected.

b.-connected - phone shows BT icon only;
MFT shows name of phone;
MFT shows icons for signal only - this is not fully connected and calls
cant be made or answered.
The phone isnt a hands free device in this case, its just a broadcasting BT device that the car is allowed to connect to, and displays on the MFT as a BT device and shows available storage if phone storage isnt locked down.

Sometimes when the phone and car are syncd but MFT begins acting up, your phone is not really completely finished what its doing or able to sync, and you wont know unless you look at it at that moment.

You may find your phone is locked up or still trying to parse or is uploading music playlists etc to Sync, or maybe the phone book or other items, but it cant finish yet, as BT and MFT are already deadlocked and cant function correctly. It may finish after a while and then it may just be fine.

Also my BT settings on the phone include security, network, stereo/streaming options, notifications, messaging, and act as storage options, all of which are not left wide open - and Sync is fine with that.

But different combinations of BT feature settings and security settings on your device can affect Sync.

Check all your BT settings, not just the phone portion-do you have any other settings?

- check all the BT settings in MFT-it has a few as well.

- do check the Sync device compatibility list...

- for music library or playlist, if its an option for you, use Windows Media Player.

Performing a master reset and or removing a batt cable should be your very last resort.

Voice command button stopped working

The latest version has been the best yet. So good I have not had to do a fuse pull for months now. Even the weather map has been updating as intended and text message reading is working well. It finally hiccuped in the last couple days, when the voice command button would not invoke a response. A fuse 29 pull did wake it up. I was out of practice in reaching it.

The latest version has been the best yet. So good I have not had to do a fuse pull for months now. Even the weather map has been updating as intended and text message reading is working well. It finally hiccuped in the last couple days, when the voice command button would not invoke a response. A fuse 29 pull did wake it up. I was out of practice in reaching it.

Mine has worked as promised since I bought it. My 2013 Sport is working better than my 11 Ltd. fast responsive and I can't complain about anything.

Sorry I am new here and say this thread. I did not have time to read through all 32 pages.

Can someone tell me how to update myford touch? I just bought a 2011 Explorer Limited and wanted to make sure that I have the latest version.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I am new here and say this thread. I did not have time to read through all 32 pages.

Can someone tell me how to update myford touch? I just bought a 2011 Explorer Limited and wanted to make sure that I have the latest version.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum POLARIS PRO.:wavey:
You should register your Explorer at; www.syncmyride.com. I believe it is now also known as https://support.ford.com
When you enter the VIN, it should display all the updates that were done on the vehicle. Current version is 3.5.1 which will be updated and replaced with version 3.6 sometime in August. I don't think that there is an easy way to find out the version by checking the software info on the MFT.

When an update is available, you will likely read about it here before anywhere else. The best place is the IVT Forum;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177

The software updates can sometimes be downloaded from the site I mentioned initially. Sometimes it will say that it is a 'dealer install' in which case you will have to get the dealer to do it.
To start loading of the software into the MFT, the vehicle must be running. Do not turn the vehicle off until the process is complete. It used to take 45 - 60 minutes but I think that may have been reduced to 30 minutes with the new update to come. You can drive during the loading period but don't shut the vehicle off until loading is done.
Syncmyride has the instructions on what is required. Hope this helps.

Peter

Peter

Back