A4LD SHIFTING ISSUES--HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD SHIFTING ISSUES--HELP

Reaction score
City, State
Walla Walla, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I have a 1994 Explorer with the A4LD. The tranny is actually from a 1992 Explorer. The problem I'm having with it is when I start it up in the morning and take off, it won't shift out of first gear automatically until I drive it about a mile and warm up the fluid. Once the fluid warms up a little, it will start to shift by itself. However, I can shift it manually. I asked a tranny shop about it and he said it sounds like the "seals" are a little bit hardened and once the fluid warms up the seals will soften and allow it to shift.

Recently, I just discovered that it won't shift into overdrive either. After doing some research, I discovered that a common problem of not shifting into O/D is that the TCC and the O/D solenoids commonly go bad. So my plan is to drop the tranny pan and replace the solenoids.

Replacing the solenoids leads to my question about the hardened seals. Are the seals that are affecting the shifting located in the valve body? If so, what seals do I need to replace? I need some detailed help with this; maybe a diagram with detailed instructions on where the seals are located??? I figured since I'm replacing the solenoids, if the seals are in the valve body, then I'll replace those as well and hopefully fix two problems at once.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Back