• Register Today It's free!

Advancing Timing

jarededge

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Can anyone tell me how to advance the timing in my X?
It's a '98 4.0L SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The timing is computer controled

I was told that a chip wouldn't do that much for a stock set-up. I already have a chip, and I was just waiting until I did some mods before I got it re-burned. I planned on doing cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, and buying a bigger throttle body, or having someone mod the one I already have. But is a chip the only way to advance the timing in an explorer?

jarededge said:
I was told that a chip wouldn't do that much for a stock set-up. I already have a chip, and I was just waiting until I did some mods before I got it re-burned. I planned on doing cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, and buying a bigger throttle body, or having someone mod the one I already have. But is a chip the only way to advance the timing in an explorer?
yep

jarededge said:
Yeah,
Also, stick with your plan, intake and exhaust first and then get Doug over at BamaChips.com to do your reburn.

can he re-burn diablo chips? i guess i should just talk to him about it...

Oops, my bad.
I dont think he can.

Or you can send your PCM out and get it modified by a few different companies.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
Or you can send your PCM out and get it modified by a few different companies.

-Drew
How much $$$, and who does it?

I can't remember exactly who does it, but a friend of mine sent his 300zx's twin turbo PCM out and had it reburned. I will try and speak with him to find out for you - but i think it can get pretty extensive. Another way of controlling timing is by software/programs on a laptop where you can adjust fuel trims, pulse width, etc.

-Drew

Just go for a SCT XCal or other handhelp programmer. Either will allow you up to 3 different tunes i.e 87 octane, 93 octane and economy etc. They are about the same $ as a chip and allow you to change things yourself without relying on a chip and reburns. Check it out-

http://www.bamachips.com/products/xcalibrator/

Did you ever advance your timing?

-Drew

Back