Advice on buying a used 2dr, 5 speed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on buying a used 2dr, 5 speed

Carfax or other for vehicle history?

I'm planning to look at these tomorrow after work.

What do you guys suggest for checking vehicle history, Carfax or other?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CarFax is ok, but honestly- ask for receipts or work history. If they didn't turn in anything to insurance, it won't show up anyway. Look around the window seams for signs of repainting. If they say that they put in plugs and wires, ask them when and what they used. Check to see if the front wheels sit tilted in like this when looking at the truck from the front: /----\

If they look like that, the ball joints are shot and will need to be replaced, which means the sway bar links and body mount bushings are probably bad too, that will be a few hundred $$ all in. See if the shocks have been changed. On either truck, if original, they're cooked, so that would be another $150+ from Rock Auto.

Reach behind the rockers to the rear behind the front door and check for rust (or get under the truck)

Then the usual stuff- tranny fluid, tires, brakes, and the trans. Make sure when you turn the truck to "on" the check engine light illuminates. If not, the bulb is blown or pulled out...

They're pretty stout trucks, so I wouldn't be afraid of a little work if needed, but the above should give you some negotiating points... :thumbsup:

Here's a couple more I'm checking on.

The black one is gorgeous but has double the miles of the other but is two years newer...

Black 2001 for $2700
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1965763146.html

I think I'd go for the 2001 even though it has more miles. A 127k isn't really a whole lot if everything with the engine and rest of the vehicle is in good shape. The 2001 will have the SOHC so it will be a little more peppy. 2001 was also the first year that the SOHC came redesigned from the factory to not have the timing chain problems so that shouldn't be an issue. Also in the 3rd gen Sports it's hard to find black ones with manuals.

Another one I'm pursuing.

So far, either the truck has sold quick or the seller/deal is too shady and probably a scam.

Amazingly, 3 of the trucks I've called on lately are all "flips", these people bought them, fixed em up a bit and are reselling for a profit. I'm dubious of those frankly.

So I'm looking at this one at a dealership, hopefully today or tomorrow in person.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/1968704048.html

One thing I asked em about, the 4th digit of the VIN listed is a "Y", but the Ford VIN decoder doesn't have any "Y"s listed as an option. Hmmm.....
1FMYU24X4XUC61088

I'd look under that one really well, by the looks of that dogleg on the passenger side, the rockers are probably completely rusted out. I'd check the structural integrity just to be safe.

All electrical and optional equipment on this vehicle have been checked and are in perfect working condition. Nothing about this vehicle is defective. There are a few dings in this vehicles doors. There is a properly functioning engine in this vehicle. The overall condition of this vehicles exterior is average. The previous owner did not keep this vehicle garaged. The previous owner was a non-smoker. Average interior for a vehicle of its age and mileage. The mileage represented on this vehicle is the actual current mileage. The transmission shifts like it was new. No damage on vehicle, body is in excellent condition. Not being the original owner of this automobile means savings for you. The tires are in good shape and have about 75% of the tread life left....

Catch him on this. That dogleg definitely doesn't look excellent to me.

Nice catch! Looking at trucks further south now...

Catch him on this. That dogleg definitely doesn't look excellent to me.

Man, you guys are GOOD! I didn't even notice that rust.

This got me thinking, almost all vehicles around here from this age are probably going to have rust, due to the salting of the winter roads.

So I started looking further south, where I don't "think" it snows, like the Nashville TN area. There are some dirt cheap flights from Chi to Nashville.

I've already found 2 nice trucks in that area:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/1967704281.html
and
http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/1968311864.html

Soooo, anyone on here live in the Nashville area perhaps?

Just so you know I'm serious, I currently own a 2000 Yamaha MM Royal Star Venture that I purchased over the phone, flew to Baton Rouge LA and rode it back. So a trip to nearby TN is cake.

Another vehicle I'm pursuing

Ok, the hunt continues after numerous craigslist scammers.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1974534390.html

It has the SOHC and not the OHV, but it's also got all the other goodies like leather etc...

Asking $1900 and I don't he'll budge much. Seems like a fair deal on the surface, so to speak.

Looks fair, the miles honestly aren't that high for that many, many business trips... :)

Says Arlington Heights in his other ad...

Rust bucket. Search continues...

Ok, that one had too much rust on the rockers, the nerf bar was barely clinging to the vehicle.
On to the next one today at lunch:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ctd/1973282521.html

More than I want to pay but, perhaps there's some wiggle room. Asking $3995, I'm going to start at $2700 and see where it goes.

Man I sure hope the kid appreciates this one day!

I'd look for rust there too- the way the front and rear bumpers are going plus the nerf bars are rusting, I'm sure there is a lot of rust underneath too. Check the gas filler tubes for rust, those are an immediate $100 if the return line (smaller tube) is rusting through, which is happening a lot lately...

The way the '01 Sports are cladded on the bottom, they hide rust a lot better, but it almost makes it worse, since the body cladding holds moisture against the metal more.

Try Kijiji.com too, I saw a lot of nice Ex's on there when I was looking, that weren't on CL.

http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/trucks-vans-suvs/barrington/97-ford-explorer-xlt-4x4/?ad=6122998

http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/...r-eddie-bauer-loaded-116000-miles/?ad=6028063

This one needs to be re-Explorered... But it's low miles! :)

http://chicago.ebayclassifieds.com/...999-ford-explorer-4x4-low-mileage/?ad=5986439

Man I sure hope the kid appreciates this one day!

I'm sure she will appreciate it very much. Great advice from these guys!! I wish I had the sense to do what you're doing. Welcome aboard. :salute: I'll get out of the way now. :wavey:

Maybe...

Ok, took her for a ride and had a more knowledgeable buddy test drive it too.

Engine is strong, tranny shifts smooth, no problems there.

The ABS seems to kick in at the end of a hard brake and even a normal break. Not sure if that's due to the truck sitting for so long, or what. Brake light does stay on. I would probably replace all rotors and pads, as there's a weep, weep sound coming from front left wheel, goes away when brakes are pressed.

We had them put the truck on a rack, which the service mgr. didn't seem thrilled about. There's rust where the nerf bars connect and as a result, I wouldn't use them to support my weight. They need to be removed. Otherwise, the rust wasn't extensive, I didn't think to check the fuel return line someone mentioned, darn.

Check engine light was on but I had them put on a code reader, it's a vapor leak code, same as my Ram currently has. They cleared the code, light went off but like mine, will probably come back in a day or two.

Right door handle is broken off, rear wiper is gone/broken.

A/c blows really cold, in the rear too. Seats are leather and have only one tear, on drivers left side. Interior is otherwise in really great shape.

Will need new shocks but they aren't terrible, didn't sway or bounce.

Offered $1700 to start and then had to leave, we'll see what they come back with. Let the games begin....

I'd be surprised with all of the issues they could hang on someone trading it, if they've got more than $1,500 tied up in it... Stand firm if you're interested...

If you get the ABS kicking in, you could have a dirty ABS sensor, or a failing one. Front hub will be about $150 for a good new one if you do it yourself.

The fuel return line you can see from the wheel well sometimes, you'll see a darker color, i.e. weeping if it's been compromised. Those are $100 from 1A Auto, Tony is a vendor here.

Door handle will run you about $20 plus a can of DulpliColor.

New Rear Wiper is about $25 from Rock Auto, as I just ordered one for my truck.

A/C sounds good, the rear air is just a tube to a second fan that re-pushes the air to the rear seat, but it's good that the fan works.

Since they're probably original, shocks will be about $150 for a set of Monroe Reflex Shocks for all 4 through Rock Auto if you put them on yourself. Bad Ex shocks typically feel ok, but once off you can push them down with one finger, and new ones are night and day.

Just some hints and values... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!

Thanks Joe, that's good to know!

None of the issues seemed like a deal breaker, the body and interior are in really good shape so, I'm waiting to hear the dealer's next move.

Meanwhile, the search continues...just wish there were more available in the far north burbs, driving to Chicago is getting old.

Back