Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

All you need to know about keyless entry

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Xan, September 17, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Powder Springs, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
      That's because you are looking in the "2nd Generation" forum - 1995-1999 Explorers. You need to look in the "4th Generation" forum. Good luck.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SwissKar

SwissKar New Member

1998 XLT
      hello everybody,

taking the lid off of the oem alarm of my X 99 found 7 dip switches to program the alarm. does anyone know what they are for?

4. SwissKar

SwissKar New Member

1998 XLT
      anyone.??? don't be shy I know any of you experts know about this

5. jfrracing1

jfrracing1 New Member

City, State:
      WALLACE, SOUTH CAROLINA
      2002 & 01 EXPLORER SPORT
      just in case you have a 2002 explorer sport 4x4 this module is through the left rear speaker. on my wifes 2001 explorer sport 4x2 it's as discribed above .

6. streetrodder1958

streetrodder1958 New Member

City, State:
      yuma arizona
      1998 Explorer 4 door
      Once again you are my hero. I just got this 98 explorer used from a dealer (not ford) and they told me they didn't have the code and couldn't get it for me. You would think that they would be bright enough to look it up and add one more selling point to the explorer.

7. JamesExplorer97

JamesExplorer97 New Member

Ford Explorer 1997 V6
      Thanks im gonna try this,

8. martinezelliot

martinezelliot New Member

City, State:
      Fontana, CA
      1999 Explorer
      I tried all that and the factory code does not work. Pressing 7/9 and9/0 key pads will lock the doors. All buttons will light running board lights. Any suggestions on what to do next?

9. 04yfzkid

04yfzkid New Member

City, State:
      Oceanside, CA / Minot, ND
      2004 cobra
      My factory code works, but I can get it to program my new code. No big deal though.

Just bought two remotes and programmed them thanks to this! My only question is, when I price the lock button twice why does the alarm go off? Any other factory ford I've had hitting the lock button twice arms the alarm.

10. Jason_pike14

Jason_pike14 New Member

1999 5.0l Explorer LTD
      Need help here, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. So here's the deal... My explorer will no longer auto lock or unlock when put in and out of park. (It was working before). Additionally it will not lock the doors when pushing the 7/8, 9/0 buttons simultaneously (it was working before).. Having said that I have tried the following with no avail and am not sure where to go from here.

1) replaced keypad and wiring
      2) replaced RAP module (exact same symptoms)
      3) checked all fuses and relays related to the system (all good)
      4) GEM still recognizes keys as when depressed the interior lights come on
      5) created a new personalized code incorporating 7/8 , 9/0 and it will unlock the doors when used in the 5 digit sequence but will not lock them when pressed together

Both issues occurred at the same time.

Any ideas?

11. Rokk

Rokk New Member

City, State:
      East Tennessee
      95 Ford Explorer
      There is a wire coming out of the plug on the RAP. It is pnk/yel. This wire does the lock all feature. Could be broken, frayed, etc. somewhere. I would try checking it. Also, you could check the data wire. it is lt blu/wht. Though I would imagine that the lock all wire could cause both issues.

12. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      So I know old post but still. Is there an easy way to read this code? located the RAP box in the back panel, but there's no way to possible to see it with your eyes without taking off the panel. Is this the only way to be able to really see it?

13. Rokk

Rokk New Member

City, State:
      East Tennessee
      95 Ford Explorer
      No. It's not the only way. If you can find a small mirror, you can put it on a stick or something and use a flashlight and mirror to read it. Or if you have a smartphone, shine a flashlight back there and stick your phone on video as far back as you can. Sometimes, the sticker is able to be read easily, sometimes it's not. Just depends on how they slipped the sticker on. you will just have to try different ways and hope one works

14. Rokk

Rokk New Member

City, State:
      East Tennessee
      95 Ford Explorer
      If you don't care about looks, just cut the panel itself. That's what I ended up doing to mine. I used a small jigsaw and cut my own access panel.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. Sitcoms

Sitcoms Active Member

City, State:
      Rhode Island
      1999 Explorer Sport
      I'll try the mirror when i get a chance, stuck my iphone back there today and tried to snap a decent picture of it but couldnt get one. I'l trying it on video tomorrow when it's light out.

16. Rokk

Rokk New Member

City, State:
      East Tennessee
      95 Ford Explorer
      Yea, video is a much better bet with the iPhone. It can't adjust the resolution since it is so close and taking a 2d picture. There is nothing else to create a focal point.

17. ffpmme

ffpmme New Member

City, State:
      Davenport, Florida
      2000 Explorer Limited
      Remote question

Ok so I have searched the thread and have not seen this problem before. I have a 2000 LTD. My remotes only work about 50% of the time. I can get them back into program mode and reset them, and they will work for a few hours, but then the next am it won't work. But latter in the the day it may work. The control panel works fine. I am wondering if the car battery may have a effect on the alarm not working correctly. Just had the battery tested and it is reading 12.56V with 728/880 CCA. The battery is about 5 years old, just wondering if it not able to keep up.

My thought is car starts and runs fine, charging system does its job and charges battery, remotes work. Car sits over night/all day at work, battery gets low and remotes don't work. Any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!!!

18. Rokk

Rokk New Member

City, State:
      East Tennessee
      95 Ford Explorer
      So long as your car cranks, your battery shouldn't be low enough to effect it.

Possible things that could effect it in my opinion:
      There could be a short in the wiring.
      Battery in remote going dead. Simple fix. About 4 bucks.
      Or contacts on the remote dirty. You can clearn them with a pencil eraser. Google and there are videos showing what to do. It's normally a Honda problem, but I would imagine it could happen in a ford remote too.

19. mitch1204

mitch1204 New Member

City, State:
      Dayton, TN
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thanks to this wonderful thread I helped a friend figure out his 2000 Grand Marquis code. It was in the trunk on the right trunk hinge. He gave up years ago.

20. Umyeah

Umyeah New Member

City, State:
      Boricua
      2000 Ford Explorer
      hmmmmmm!!!

:salute: am I the only one that thinks it would suck to have the keyless entry and not be able to reset the factory to you own code an cancel out the factory code do to being a second owner, cause the first owner can still get into your car even after giving you all the keys and remotes??? Doesn't this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen? I'm just saying is there like a way to just unplug that part of the system and not use at all??

Also the poor guy that stated this thread listed his code and now can't change it, God forbid one of you is his neighbor and now has access to his Ford Explorer!?

21. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L

for what its worth I would like to think that the majority of people who utilize this forum are fairly honest and would have no need to pilcer from another explorer enthusiast, but there is one in every crowd I suppose. As for the op revealing his code, the image says " something like this". Not that that image was his actual code. I have personally photographed some raps modules in the sre cking yard when I was researching them.

As for someone actually gaining access to the op's ex, well I'm sure he has safeguards in place. The article was started 8 or so years ago so that's something to consider too. Does he still have the truck? Who really knows. Oh and yes there is a way to change the factory code but it is a hardware modification inside the module (search for it if you really want it). There is also a one wire solution to disable the keypad, but again, do a lil research and you'll be satisfied.

22. Umyeah

Umyeah New Member

City, State:
      Boricua
      2000 Ford Explorer
      Is that a ligit solution? Or will you be permanently disabling a feature?
      I asked because a friend of mine bought a Ford used and only got the one ignition key but no door and hatch key with one remote, he and other people should have a decent way to generally protect themselves?

23. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      I'm not sure what you mean by legit. It involves cutting one wire that goes to the number pad. Could put a toggle switch on I guess but no modification to any vehicle is considered ligit in the dealer's eyes. Any lock smith worth his weight in keys can make a door key for little money, or you can go to a wrecking yard and get a complete matching set for about the same cost

24. Umyeah

Umyeah New Member

City, State:
      Boricua
      2000 Ford Explorer
      Cool beans I will let them know thanks

25. blueice

blueice New Member

City, State:
      Pacific Junction, IA
      '98 Ford Explorer Sport
      question for XAN

If an ex came factory with power locks, "theft" light in dash, has little antenna behind rear view mirror, and PAT keys is it still possible to NOT have remote entry capability? No RAP in left rear.

26. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      ^ Unlikely you will get a response from the OP "XAN" whose last activity on the forum was 6/18/08
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=66479

Enter VIN and click minor features to see your vehicles specs.
      https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

To see if your vehicle came equipped with remote keyless entry (RKE). If you don't have remote transmitters
      you can also try the "reprogramming transmitters" procedure on page 63 and see if the doors lock and unlock. Replacement transmitters are very inexpensive, check Ebay.
      http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/98expog1e.pdf

Last edited: November 9, 2015