Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

All you need to know about keyless entry

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Xan, September 17, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. blueice

blueice New Member

City, State:
      Pacific Junction, IA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '98 Ford Explorer Sport
      Thanks, swshawaii! I don't imagine "power Equipment Group" includes remote entry, does it ? But then it says "less" driver and passenger airbags, but they are there. The five or eight on- off cycles does nothing but flash the parking light group four times (whatever that means). But that does not rule out a bad RAP module. Is the antenna below the mirror for the NOAA radio frequency equipped radio it says was installed? Anyone? Has anyone ever found a RAP module above the pass side airbag in a '98 Sport? Or is the RAP always in the rear left quarter on ALL pre-2001s? It seems a real shame to have power locks and the other anti theft options yet no remote entry capabilities...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ghoststrike

ghoststrike New Member

2K EX XLT 5.0 w/AWD
      These instructions worked like a charm....MUCH THANKS!!!

4. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      I don't think there are more than a half dozen factory codes. I remember one guy saying he was locked out in a parking lot and evidently he had bought the car used and never had an entry code. A guy came up and said he worked for a dealership and in a couple minutes he was in. My keypad stopped working a while ago. I'm sure I could fix it and wondered if reversing two wires might change the factory code. Or it could be serial data or voltages that are sent. Anyone have pictures of the back of the unit?

5. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      You could change the pins at the raps module connector to mix up the number sequence but just remember if you do, all of the factory programming shortcuts that need the key pad would be mixed up too. There is a way to swap the actual code sequence inside the module but it is labor intensive. Why not just leave it the same? How many previous owners do you think actually took the time to know the factory code other than the original owner?

6. acrx7

acrx7 Member

City, State:
      Milford , MA
      1999 Ford Explorer
      Hi guys , question , I have a 99 Ex and it does have the red blinking Theft but no RAP module , so that means I don't have keyless entry ? I bought a fob and did all the steps and nothing so I'm guessing I don't have keyless entry right ?
      Thank you in advance !!

7. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      Are you sure you do not have a raps module? I believe They moved them in the late 90s to a location under the dash.

8. rlwjr1

rlwjr1 New Member

2000 Ford Explorer
      Keyless entry

I do not have the keypad on my door, but I do have keyless entry that is not working. It begin not functioning properly at first would work sometimes and others not work. When it completely stopped working I bought a new battery for my keyless entry, but it still did not work. Then, I bought a new FOB with a new battery in it, and still not functioning. So, the fob has nothing to do with the system not working. Can anyone tell me other area's to look at for what is causing my keyless entry not to work?

9. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      Silly question, but did you re program the new key fob to your truck?

10. johnnygig

johnnygig New Member

City, State:
      Spartanburg, SC
      2003 Explorer Sport
      On 2003 Sport, the module with code is located under the defrost vent cover on top of dashboard. Panel can be removed by popping all clips. View through windshield with camera or use endoscope. Can be accessed through glove box by removing airbag and module.

11. acrx7

acrx7 Member

City, State:
      Milford , MA
      1999 Ford Explorer
      Hi cwol97401 ,I have been under the dash 100 times but I have not seen it , but I will check :)

Thank you

12. RBrake41

RBrake41 New Member

City, State:
      Greensboro, North Carolina
      1995 Ford Explorer XLT
      Callsign:
      FIRE1
      I have bought another explorer. This one is a 96 sport, 5 speed. I have no code on the side on this model. My other explorer does and it works fine. In the 96 I tried the on off 8 times and I've tried 5 times and the truck won't go into program mode. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
      Brake.

13. doug53224

doug53224 New Member

City, State:
      Milwaukee,WI 53224
      1998 Explorer Sport
      Hello, I need your help. My ex knows my master keypad code and I need to change or disable it asap. I can not find out how to, please help. I would rather change it even if i have to swap a few wires in the drivers door wiring ( if possible ). I cant even seem to find a wiring diagram on here, im just to frustrated right now. 1998 explorer sport.
      Thanks, Doug

Last edited: June 1, 2016
    14. 1998rollover

1998rollover Active Member

City, State:
      Weiser, ID
      1998 Mountaineer
      I have a 2002 Sport Trac with V8 AWD swap from a 1998 Mountaineer. I had PATS swapped over too, along with the 1998 ignition lock. There were two keys and original Ford remotes with the Mountaineer.

Recently one remote quit working so I installed a new battery. Still doesn't work. I had a new key cut and I programmed it using the other two keys. The keyless entry code is still the original Sport Trac code.

I've tried umpteen times but it will not enter fob programming mode. I've read that there's a hidden button somewhere under the dash, or a couple of pins on some connector that can be shorted to make it go into programming mode - but nobody mentioning those bothers to say exactly where they are or posts pictures.

I wonder if the VCX Nano with IDS software can make it program fobs?

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. doug53224

doug53224 New Member

City, State:
      Milwaukee,WI 53224
      1998 Explorer Sport
      Thanks for the reply but I still couldn’t find how to disable or change the factory keypad code, please help if you can. Is it possible to get a used circuit board (RAP module? )
      that has the keypad code on it from a bone yard and switch that part therefore the new number would work? Or maybe cut and cross wires from the keypad, making the 5/6 button a 7/8 button? I would need a wire diagram tho. I cant find that either, and I looked for hours for a diagram for the door keypad wiring, im guessing the wires go from the door to the drivers kick panel, through the harness that has the bolt on top. Thanks again

16. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      According to the owner's manual the factory code can not be changed. You can add a different code, but the factory code would still be active. It might be possible to install another RAP module. Why not just unplug the key pad for now?

17. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Last edited: June 3, 2016
    18. CRascon1

CRascon1 New Member

City, State:
      Perryton tx
      1999 Ford Explorer
      Thank you!! You saved me $50!!

19. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      There are only two ways to change the default door code. The first is to replace the raps or Pats module, but doing that means reprogramming all of your keys and key fobs. The second way it to open the module up and change the locations of the resistors that connect to the number pad. This second method is not recommended.

20. Jon94

Jon94 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Guilford, Connecticut
      94 Sport
      I have a 99 Explorer XLS 4 door. It does not have a keypad on the door. I wanted to see if I could add keyless entry to it (I don't want to add a keypad; I just want a remote fob on my keychain). I tried looking for the module in back but didn't see it. I also tried turning the ignition on and off 8 times and nothing happened. I'm assuming my truck never had keyless entry to begin with? I just bought it used and wasn't sure if the previous owner just lost the remotes or if it never had keyless entry. Anyone know what's involved in adding keyless entry? Would an aftermarket unit be easiest to install?

21. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      If nothing happens with your key for programming mode it will be easiest to install an aftermarket system. They sell around here for about $99 installed, often less. Not a difficult diy task but it is tedious locating wires under the dash. Might pull the panel and see if the wiring for a factorsystem is there. if so, then just get a factory control module and a key fob, program it, and you're all set. Also, if you find those wires and decide to go aftermarket, that harness has every connection needed for installation.

22. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      If nothing happens with your key for programming mode it will be easiest to install an aftermarket system. They sell around here for about $99 installed, often less. Not a difficult diy task but it is tedious locating wires under the dash. Might pull the panel and see if the wiring for a factory system is there. if so, then just get a factory control module and a key fob, program it, and you're all set. Also, if you find those wires and decide to go aftermarket, that harness has every connection needed for installation.

23. acrx7

acrx7 Member

City, State:
      Milford , MA
      1999 Ford Explorer
      Hi cwol97401 , I'm not sure that I have seen that under the dash , but I will check it out :)
      Thank you

24. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Powder Springs, GA
      1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
      RAP module in my '97 EB is in the cargo compartment on the driver's side. Open the access panel on the side and look forward, you will see a box with relays in it - the RAP module also goes there. Most likely wiring is there - you may just have to get a used module and plug it in. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    25. cwol97401

cwol97401 Member

City, State:
      Duck Country Oregon
      1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
      To my knowledge, they changed the location for the 99MY

• Like Like x 1
    26. old_coot

old_coot New Member

City, State:
      Stamping Ground, Ky
      2003 ford explorer
      For those with a 2001 Sport Trac like me that didn't have the keyless entry module in the dash behind the passengers air bag, I found mine in the middle of the rear wall in the area above the jack....I used my borescope camera to search for it....got my code and it actually still works...hope this helps someone.