• Register Today It's free!

Battery Drain

MFD70

Reaction score
City, State
Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer North Face
Hi all, I've found over the last few weeks battery flat after a few days without running (2-3 days max, it's used most days). The current drain on the battery seems to be about 60-90 mA with ignition off all doors closed etc. If my maths is correct this should give about 30 days with a 60Ah battery. Alternator is OK so battery is charging OK and the battery itself was replaced about three months ago. Anyone have any suggestions, GEM fault ? new battery duff ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try putting a volt meter probes over the top of all the main fuses to see if one is drawing any power. Are the interior lights going off, radio off and not just muted. Have you got anything plugged into the cigar lighter?
If you are not using the Explorer, try disconnecting the battery for a few days to see if it holds its charge.[Obviously charge it first]
Good luck Kev.

Another thing to check is the interior light switch. If it's rotated all the way up till it clocks, then the lights remain on. children have a habit of turning that for some reason.

Another thing to check is the interior light switch. If it's rotated all the way up till it clocks, then the lights remain on. children have a habit of turning that for some reason.
I can vouche for that one!! Bloody kids!!!!

The drain issue has been on going, so I charge the battery up every few days and this sort of solves the problem. However I think it's probably a GEM fault as I have no dome lights and 4X4 warning lights flashing on the dashboard intermittently, does anyone have a GEM for sale ? There are a few on Ebay in the US but one here would be easier.

Back