Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by Turdle, September 19, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
      Grrr!
      Had to tear the passenger side back down because it would not fully release. No, I did not remove the lever assembly to clean it like I did the driver side because I thought is was moving. I should have. So, I did, and got bit big time because I broke my spring hook and can't figure out how in the heck to get the outer control spring stretched and in the slot. Tried the coat hanger trick, wrapped several times around a pipe so I could get my foot against the leaf spring mount and pull with my weight.
      There was too much wire in the way and the spring would not make the bend around the ledge. You have to have been there to understand. Wifey couldn't shove it with a screwdriver enough to hook, before the coat hanger ran against the outer edge of the brake shoe and stopped it.

And yeah, some kids were riding their bikes right past me when I was trying to talk it into submission. It didn't work but I bet they won't ever walk in my yard.

Another day in emergency brake blis has ended. I think I need help with this, i just don't have the back strength to stretch that dang spring.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      It's been ages since I looked at that hard with the axle in place. Is there any room to use Vise Grips? My needle nose model is my favorite drum brake springs tool. I use that to pull any of them into place.

4. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I might have to get a set of those Don.

I have this OEM brand brake spring tool in my arsenal.
      [​IMG]

I don't think it will work though as the points are larger than the spring seat slot.

I might have to mess with it some more. Hmmm, Grinder to the tool tips?
      The spring hook that worked well for me looked dangerous to use, like a large dental tool, but a pointed hook. It got in there and the spring would just glide off into the slot. sigh....

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I never was thrilled with those special brake tools. I've used them at dealerships and often the right tool makes it easy to put a spring on etc. But my Vise Grips I've been using since the 80's, and I've been able to do basically any springs with it. Mine is the medium needle nose, about 7-9" long. I think it's the only one I've owned, the Vise Grips are a premier brand that seem to last forever.

6. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      You have the right tool, let me show you how to use it.

that's what she said. I swear. I've heard it over and over thru the years.

OEM 25000 is the perfect tool for this job. No kidding. I had it all the time.

[​IMG]

In 2003 I was doing the rear brakes on the black mounty, bought some pads and the parts guy said"you're going to want this too, it's only 6 bux" so I said ok thanks!

Got it home, looked it over and threw it in my tool box. At that time the axles were pulled so i didn't need it, it looked complicated, so there it sat.
      Forward to doing this job a few times and using a spring hook I had, this tool just sat. I even considered throwing it away, because I would never use it.
      My wife, who has been great for helping out here, looked the tool over and said in her imagination it should work.

So,
      I literally had a dream last night about using it to reach in, grab the spring and hook it into place. Turns out this it what this tool does! WoW!

I was trying to use it in the wrong fashion, using the hook to slide it to the slot like my old hook did.

My comrades, I shoit you not. This tool is a life saver! ( I am going to take the liberty of editing the first post of theh "how to" with pictures.)

With this tool you reach in from the side you want to pull from, hook the spring and then grab it with the "plier" tooth of the opposing scissor side.
      Now the spring cannot slip out. The handle makes it easy to pull the spring into place at the right angle, and with enough of the hook protruding, with the proper reach around to just hook it, and let go.

I literally lit a smoke, took a puff, grabbed the hook and right into place she went.

Pictures attached. Feeling much love for the day now!

This tool iS GM on one end, and Ford on the other. It also quickly connects and disconnects posts mount springs

003.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. 429CJ-3X2

429CJ-3X2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Des Moines, Iowa
      '01 & '02 Sport Tracs,
      I've had one of those tools for years and never really figured out how to use it properly.

8. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I know right? And it just looked too cool to throw away. lol

9. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      I guess my knowing how to use that tool was one of the payoffs of going to Denver Automotive for their Auto Technician course. ;) It only took me several thousand dollars in tuition to learn that trick.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    10. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      HA! i have been using the ones i have the right way!

11. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Thanks Jon, I too have one of those somewhere, and never got the hang of it. I'll find it and work with it more.

12. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      On a side note.
      Your garbage disposer will do a nice job of cleaning the little rubber plugs for the adjuster slot. :)

13. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Ok, except the tires it is back together and tested. still need wifes help bleeding the brakes.

One minor snafu.

The emergency, or park brake whichever you prefer, is not fully releasing at the pedal return spring. The passenger side still stops short of fully released, but if I pull the cable right under the door relieving the cable tension a bit, everything slides back where it needs to be. I made a mark right at the slider near the junction of the main and intermediate cable for reference.

So, it is like my cable tension at the pedal is too tight. Is there an adjustment for this? Seems like if it was worn out it would be too loose?

I lubed the cables with spray silicone but to be honest they feel nice and smooth, it is definitely too much tension on the return spring in the pedal, pedal mechanism not fully releasing.
      For now if it gets into replacing the pedal--un uhh. I'll reach under and pull the cable if I ever use the e brake for now--

14. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Hmm, I wonder if the parking brake return coil spring ( in the pedal) is just all dirty and needs some luv spray. That is what is feels like.

the opposite of too much slack is going on here, so the too much slack thread is not good to resurrect.

15. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I'd bet on lack of use corrosion, in the cable or pedal mechanism. I'm worried about my vehicles just for that reason, lack of use and the weather.

16. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      ok, wait.
      the driver side does fully release. Passenger side does not unless i release the pedal spring tension. Why would one fully seat and the other not unless they are off balance.

That isn't right. It is a longer cable but should still be operating in unison with the intermediate cable, which it pulls.
      I wonder if the intermeditate cable ( to driver side ebrake) is too loose, and when the driver side ebrake fully seats, the return pressure is cut in half, leaving just the passenger side return springs to pull the cable the final 1/2"

hmmm

Or, could it be the main cable is too tight ( as I was thinking before)

I wonder if there is some sort of "balance adjustment" for the 2 cables.

Moving the attachment point of the intermediate cable to the main cable forward, might just be what is needed for full return spring force from both sides. It would make the driver side cable continue to have tension for another 1/2" which is where my 1/2" mark is

hmmm
      tomorrow I need to look this one over and see what can be done.

Last edited: July 17, 2017 at 12:09 AM
    17. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I hope you figure that out soon, and let me know what the trick is to disconnect the two cables ahead of the LR wheel. I need to move my cable inboard of the strut rod for more tire clearance. I got the one on my Mercury apart, but that was 2004 I think. I forgot what I did that didn't get me hurt. That connection is tough, spring steel pinches the cable end/tip, tightly.

18. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Ok, if you look at the park brake pedal assembly you will see 3 holes with rounded edges.

the middle one is what you want. Find the largest diameter phillips screwdriver or better yet, drill bit that will fit into the hole.

Reach under the driver side door and pull the e brake cable and have a friend poke the tool thru the hole. Or, you poke while he tugs. Or she. Sex doesn't matter for this type of poking.

this should hold the slack in the ebrake cable for you when you slowly release it against the stop tool of choice. Now you can take the cable fittings apart.

Hope this helps.

19. rpenner54

rpenner54 Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      Wichita KS
      98 Merc
      One of these days, I just need to get out your way and we can have a wrench/fix all the little things deal. But this heat needs to go away first! LOL

20. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Ryan, I have a hot driveway solution.

I bought a 12' strip of misters off amazon. I then zip tied them around my 48" shop fan. 6 mister nozzles spray into the fast moving air.

Add a patio umbrella and we're good to go.

• Like Like x 1
    21. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I like that. I use my little 24" fan to keep the mosquitoes away for the most part. Maybe it's time to add some water to the fan/air. We're hitting the 90's all this week, I think Summer has settled in.

22. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      If you get the same one I did for around 15.00 or so, it comes with a set of replacement nozzles. None of mine have clogged yet though.
      You just hook it to a garden hose, and turn the flow down low. The hose will build pressure to keep them going once it is set correctly. They do bleed air very slowly though, so pre bleed the hose before connecting it. I Just kink the hose and connect it.

oops, it's a bit higher now, but this is very close if not the same thing. mine is longer than 10 feet, but I reckon they are just claiming the space of misters

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-20066-...=1500338347&sr=8-1&keywords=misters+for+patio

They are meant to be strung in line with each other so you need to find a tiny rubber plug for the nipple on the end. If you have a vacuum plug set it's in there.

It honestly does cool the air for about 20 feet out and about 12 feet wide with the aid of the forced air. about 3-6 feet away it will develop a damp area on the floor, so it does have to be positioned for the best results. Still, all last weekend I had it running on Betty's Hiney with a patio umbrella. The heat was no concern. I turned it off when the sun went behind the trees every night of course.

Tip , obvious but nevertheless I might caution, make sure the fan is turned on before misting. Otherwise mist will go into your fan. For them to work real good I have the misters set at about a 90 degree angle to the air flow. They would spray into the fan if it was off.

Last edited: July 17, 2017 at 8:53 PM
    23. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Cool, and I might like to be able to do that at work, in the car with the window down(hmm)?

24. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Betty's roof rack bars were peeling so today is the day.I don't think they have ever been taken off. The layer of butt fudge mud under the weatherstripping, and between the stripping and racks, was pretty thick. I also has some black stuff , tree sap mixed with coke dust. I guess I need to take a step stool with me to the car wash because just spraying it and going on doesn't cut it. I have to start paying more attention up there. it was nasty. Not much better when clean but it has been scrubbed.
      Back to the rails. I scuffed them with some scotch brites and purple power degreaser, then let them dry in the sun and scuffed again with 100 grit paper using my hand as a backer. Blew them off with air and wiped them down with laquer thinner.
      I sprayed a light coat of black sandable primer that I did not sand before some flat black econo can paint. I have them outside in nature's oven now. It's going to be a hot day again and I just realized I need to mow. Something for evening.

Last edited: July 18, 2017 at 2:38 PM
    25. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Did you consider powder coating the rack pieces? There are only four to do and they have some rubber parts attached too. I've got a Mounty in the JY here that I want to go get the roof racks from. I hate the Explorer racks, and unfortunately I discovered the holes are drilled in different locations on the roof. But I will install the Mercury racks, even if I have to fill holes and drill new ones.

I think I'd prefer a semi-gloss black, I think full gloss might attract too much attention.

26. traveler

traveler Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Chandler AZ
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      Man Jon, you're gonna have that thing looking brand new. I'm going to have to take the roof rack off of mine and get it cleaned and painted soon. But gotta find a house to do it at first. Not sure my Father in Law would appreciate risking paint on his garage floor.. lol